Sudamericano 2007 Sub-20 en Paraguay (R)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by vipnerd, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think the players who have qualified for both tournaments should be given a chance to play, with the addition of possibly one or two european based players. I think Gago/Higuain/Messi/Aguero/Tevez etc have moved beyond playing in youth/Olyimpic tournaments.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think there is a lot of talent in this team. I feel the reason that the play was dissappointing (beyond the fortune at the end and the succesful qualification), is that Tocalli made them play as if they were a small team. I think he got caught up in the thought of the stars that were missing, and didn't get the most out of the very good players that he had.

I think these players might have done better if the coach had believed in them and had made them played more attacking football. Even against Uruguay, knowing that they had to win to make the Olympics, and with Uruguay playing defensively, Argentina didn't really seem to want to risk anything, until the last few minutes.

Fortunately the goal came, but in spite of the missing stars, I feel this team was better than it showed. And I blame Tocalli for playing too conservatively, like a small team. That is not Argentina's style.

I'm happy we made it, but I hope we don't think this was a success, playing this way. I think most of these kids deserve another shot, and should be back for the WC, because they are good players. But Tocalli needs to show more confidence in their talent to get more out of them.

3. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Youth World Cup: no
    Olympics: yes

Gago, Higuain, Messi, Aguero should definitely play for the Olympics.
    I just wish Kun could play for the U20 this year. :) I hope something special happens now in the next several months, that we get to see one superstar. Kun never really played the last one, so I'm going on that alone that we might see him (no matter what his club say's) :D

4. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Although I do hope that they don't play Messi this year. I think he's past that point.

I know aguero was on the squad last time, but how much did he play? I don't think he scored.

5. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tocalli seems to agrees:

"Nos costó encontrar al equipo. Eso sin dudas fue responsabilidad mía. Quedamos en deuda, eso no hay dudas. Por lo menos de parte mía, como técnico, quedé en deuda."

"Tuvimos picos de jugar bien, pero no lo pudimos mantener en los partidos. Tuvimos un partido solo en el que fuimos audaces, que fue contra Venezuela. En el partido con Brasil, jugamos bien el primer tiempo, pero nos caímos en el segundo. Por eso valoro lo del partido de ayer, ante un rival muy complicado. Realmente se han recibido de hombrecitos"

"El temor de quedar afuera de todo, nos llevó a ganar el partido de la forma en que se dio"

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/01/29/um/m-01353970.htm