Subotic to become German

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by smithfan, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The old thread was closed...fresh news from Germany.

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussb...s-hat-joachim-loew-ihm-den-kopf-verdreht.html

Neven Subotic will get his German citizenship in the next days :eek:, because DFB technical director Matthias Sammer stood up for him. Bild correctly mentiones the problem of his eligibility and says that FIFA is already analysing the situation. They quote BVB manager Zorc: "It depends on whether he was eligible to get a German passport at the time he played for the US U17"

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait till FIFA tells him no and we can all move on

3. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Subotic no longer needs to come out and say what team he wants to play for. This makes it obvious, more so then it already was. Dissapointing, but thems the breaks.

4. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Don't be surprised if FIFA says yes.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    i will be very very surprised-it would put the current system into chaos. You can switch Federations if you were ELIGIBLE for a passport?

6. Super White Boy

Super White Boy New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Gaithersburg, MD
    FIFA hasn't always played the rational role when dealing with issues.

7. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW

i wont be in the least bit but it does break the current articles and I cant wait to see how this goes down

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    And who determines if you are eligible for a passport retroactively years later? The big soccer nations. They will be in control of who they want as citizens and who they don't for the sole purpose of playing national team soccer.

9. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to say all Brazilians and Argentinians under 21 playing pro soccer are eligible for a US passport.:D (It doesn't mean we have to grant one if we don't want to);)

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    You can't make a player want to play for the US.

11. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    according to the rules, he would have had to be a German citizen at the time he became tied to the US in order to change his association.

Article 18 clearly states:

If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new
    nationality, or if a Player is eligible to play for several representative
    teams due to nationality, he may, up to his 21st birthday, and only
    once, request to change the Association for which he is eligible to
    play international matches to the Association of another country of
    which he holds nationality, subject to the following conditions:
    (a) He has not played a match (either in full or in part) in an official
    competition at “A” international level for his current Association,
    and at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an
    international match in an official competition for his current
    Association, he already had the nationality of the representative
    team for which he wishes to play.

12. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    I have no doubt that Germany will get their way here, rules or no.

13. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Either way, do we really want a player that doesn't want to play for us? Of course we definetly someone like but I don't want merceneries in our team.

14. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US needs to fight Germany at this... file lawsuit if need be. Neven is currently a US player and they shouldn't let Germany cheat them and illegally pick off their own player when they are not entitled to it. If Neven switches to Serbia or Bosnia, fine. That's how it goes by the rules. But the US shouldn't get pushed around by Germany here.

15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    German nationality is traditionally based upon the principle of descent. There was a new nationality law passed in 2000 that was designed to make it easier for some foreigners to become German citizens.

According to the new law, "At the heart of the reform is the supplementing of the traditional principle of descent (jus sanguinis) by the acquisition of nationality by birth. For children born in Germany of foreign parents, this makes it easier for them to identify with their home country of Germany. They are given the chance to grow up as Germans among Germans."

However, I believe neither Neven nor his parents were born in Germany. So he was certainly not eligible for German citizenship under the usual procedures.

Having said all this I couldn't care less if Neven plays for Germany. I would prefer that he not play for the US. By his actions he has shown his heart is not really in it. I'd rather not win the World Cup with a team of mercenaries or even one mercenary.

16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can understand this.. but I do want to see the rules upheld and Germany not take advantage of their power within FIFA to gain an unfair advantage. Like I said, if Neven goes to play for Serbia, so be it. But every US fan should be first right pi$$ed if he plays for Germany.

And he wasn't "eligible" for german citizenship when he played his first game for the US. When he lived in Germany, he and his family had refugee status and had to leave the country when his dad lost his job. It goes without saying that if you were eligible to become a citizen of a country you would never get kicked out of that country. Otherwise you would just become a citizen and stay.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Germany won the case presented to FIFA it would be a landmark decision. It would open up a can of worms that FIFA may not want. Essentially it would toss aside their previous decisions regarding eligibility. FIFA has recently discouraged Brazilians playing abroad from becoming naturalized elsewhere just for the sake of playing internationally. They can't really do anything about it from a legal standpoint but they certainly made their thoughts clear. FIFA has also condemned countries from fast-tracking the citizenship process based purely on athletics. Neven will become a German citizen but under the current stipulations FIFA has in place he won't be able to play for them. I think FIFA will uphold this. They aren't ones to budge on eligibility even if it is Germany.

18. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    The issue is purely academic as I could also give a aardvarks elbow where he *wants* to play. The fact is however, hes a US player and rules are rules. The rules for elegibility sanctioned by FIFA were put in place for a reason. If FIFA supports an action that violates their own policies, this tears the roof off the distribution plant that cans all of the worms. It could very well pave the way for the more prestigious footballing nations funneling all the prodigies into their national teams.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I'd trade him for Mike Hanke.

Mike already has an American first name.

It could work.

Just because Mike was on Klinsmann's WC'06 roster, it doesn't mean something can't be done.

20. shotcallin04

shotcallin04 Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Well if rules are really rules, then he is not a US player - yet. However, he most definitely is not eligible to play for Germany under the current rules.

21. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    actually, yes he is provisionally cap tied to the US. darn those u-17 games

even to play for serbia or bosnia, he'd have to petition FIFA to change associations because hes a US player. When he played an international match for the US (age doesnt matter) he got tied to the US. Since it was youth, he can change till 21.

22. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is the use of the word "nationality" is where the Germans would try and fight it. It doesn't actually say "citizenship" and they aren't necessarily the same thing.

I still think this is a big big stretch on the part of the Germans.

23. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't matter.

24. TulkasTheStrong

TulkasTheStrong New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't see how Germany could swing this without violating something FIFA really needs to keep in place. If someone can come up with a way, I'm sure they'll try to push it through, but I can't seem to figure out how they could swing it no matter how the lawyers try to squirm.

25. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the same feeling.

Germany will pull some strings.