Subotic (R) Mainz vs. BMoench, 8/24

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by golazo68, Aug 24, 2007.

1. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    At what age did this guy move to the US? I'm just wondering how much he actually remembers about remembering where he was born.

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    If wiki is right he moved to the US in 1999 when he was 10.
    The article also says he lived in Baden in Germany before that but it doesn't say when he came to Germany from Bosnia.

3. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I have a lot of friends/colleagues from the former Yugoslavia and would say you are probably corrected, based on what they tell me.

Bosnia was partitioned into two halves, a Serb side and a Muslm/Croat side. From what a good Bosnian Croat friend (and football nut) tells me, only the Muslim Bosnians really care about playing for the Bosnian national team, since Bosnia is their only real country. The Bosnian Croats tend to follow the Croatian team more, and the Bosnian Serbs, Serbia.

In that light, the US probably still stands a pretty good chance with Subotic. If he also has a Serbian passport, that could be the bigger issue, but clearly his U.S. passport and youth also means something to him.

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Aren't half a dozen players still boycotting the Bosnia site?
    I think the number was even higher before the game against Serbia but at least 5 players could be convinced to play.

Like I said Mainz Mario Vrančić wants to play for Croatia while his brother Damir, who also plays for Mainz already plays for Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Two of Bosnia and Herzegovina's best players Zvjezdan Misimović of 1. FC Nuremberg and Zlatan Bajramović of Schalke 04 were born in Germany btw.

I don't really know if Subotić is eligible to play for Serbia, if he's not I think there's a pretty good chance he would chose the US.

5. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to nitpick (ok. obviously I'm nitpicking)... but his first name is Neven. In these different YA threads on him I've seen his name spelled alternately as Nevan, Nevin, Nevene... let's spell the kid's name correctly :)

From the game yesterday with a view directly behind the goal (usually we stand higher up in R-block, but we wanted to see how he plays close up). I have to say I am mighty impressed with him. He looked shaky (but with some good moments) in the final game last year in Muenchen. And I saw him in several 'amateure' games last year--- he always looked pretty solid. Each game this year he seems to be getting better.

But he is in really good form as of right now. Really good form. He's a really tall kid! Not very broad at the moment (not that he's being muscled off the ball at all, though), but at 18 he'll fill out too. He's really smooth, and languid--- kind of reminds me of Eddie Pope in his earlier days if we're looking for an American frame of reference. He's not blazing fast, but quick enough, and his positional sense yesterday was top-class. He and Noveski seem to have ironed out the problems the defense was having (although the outside backs are still a bit unstable).

Neven won pretty much every challange he contested... both in the air and on the ground. His passing out of the back really impressed me this week again... very methodical when needed, but quick decisions, and got the ball moving from back to front with speed like Klopp likes. Only saw him give a pass or clearance away once in the whole game. Very professional. Like I said, his positioning was excellent. Never lost his mark, was communicating with Noveski (who's now captain with Wache out injured) very well, also.

A difference to last week, when I thought he might have had a chance to prevent one of the goals if he had been more aggressive and cleared the ball out with a more aggressive challange (though the Furth player was already locked in a battle with our midfielder, Feulner). This week he and Noveski OWNED the area. By my count, Neven had 3 really aggressive sliding tackles inside the box--- each one to cover for another player, and each one could have been put on a video for central defenders. Controlled yet hard, fair, and quick. He also had a nice flick-on at the near post on a corner that almost resulted in a goal.

Overally this was the most impressive of performances for him, his best game this year IMHO. (And he's been good in the other games this year) Although, the whole team played well, and 'Gladbach didn't really give the game I expected from them. Again, he's young, got a lot to learn and even coach Klopp has said "you expect young players to occasionally make mistakes that young players make..." But to be honest (and I'm usually, unfairly, extra-critical of American players at my club---exception I guess being Casey who I thought showed some good things here but was unlucky with injuries), --- in any case, Subotic has been one of the best players so far in the young season for our little FSV. That in a position where due to the very nature of the position, very young players don't often make a big jump.

Quick question, I've been going on the assumption that Neven played with our U-17s.... didn't he??? (too lazy, and hungover, for a google search) Everyone in the fan blocks is calling him 'unserer junge Amerikaner'.... not our young bosnian, just FYI.

6. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I'm pretty sure I remember Subotic playing in the U17 World Cup with the US. In fact, I think he got red-carded one game.

7. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our only chance this year to cap-tie this kid is Olympic qualifying. However, if full USMNT calls him up for one of upcoming friendlies it would certainly foster an allegiance to the US IMO. Either way, he needs to be on the Olympic team Nowak puts together.

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    As I recall, Conor Casey was a standout B2 player who failed--even before the knee injury--to make an impression with the National Team.

9. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    1. This has no relation to Subotic or this discussion, and I would argue that Casey was a solid B2 player but not necessarily a "standout."
    2. Rongen said that Subotic had not developed enough to be central defender on this year's U-20. If you watched the central defenders other than Sturgis in Canada, I would find it hard to argue that Subotic didn't deserve a spot on the team, at the very least.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    1. Sure it does the way some postyers are trumpeting this guy. Casey one of the leading goalscorers in B2 one season. That's pretty standout.

2. The defense played well. That was an outstanding team. Heck, postyers were trumpeting the Sampdoria player, but he didn't exactly impress at the U-20s.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Conor Casey had two decent seasons in B-liga II - in 2001-02, he scored 7 goals in 19 matches for Hannover 96; in 2003-04, he scored 14 goals in 30 matches for Karlsruher.

In Karlsruher, he outperformed his strike partner Ivan Saenko (10 goals in 29 matches). saenko however turned out to be a solid Bundesliga forward, scoring 9 goals for Nürnberg last season and getting called up by Guus Hiddink for the Russian national team.

In that regard, Casey's fall from grace was somewhat unexpected.

12. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Casey had a fairly devastating knee injury, correct? That certainly could have contributed to his fall in form. And I still think the central defense of the U-20 team was shaky other than Sturgis. I also thought the team was outstanding, and thoroughly enjoyed watching them. But even great teams have weak areas they could shore up, and I think Subotic perhaps deserved a spot on the team. Not saying he needs to start on the senior team or anything, but with some of the hacks making youth teams for any country, perhaps he deserved more of a look?

13. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey was, for the most part, either injured or trying to return from injury almost his entire time here in Mainz. He had several knee injuries including an ACL reconstruction (by Dr. Steadman back in Vail). Just when he'd do some things that made you think he had some really useful qualities, he'd either get injured or reinjure. In fact his introduction at the first practice of the season that summer '04, he was on crutches---and he hadn't even begun his career in Mainz yet. He was also older than Neven is.

That said... Neven's had 2 good games and 1 outstanding game in his 1st team career. But 3 games a career doesn't make, obviously. And club success is never a guarantee of international success. So it's a little early to be annointing him the next Mertesacker. But he's got potential no doubt. Hope the USA gives him a run out in Basel, great city and nice stadium... it's only 3 hrs from here, so I'll be there for the game even if he isn't. :)

14. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    Yep, we should worry more about Serbia capping him than Bosnia if he identifies himself as a Bosnian Serb. Given the talent that Serbia has at the back (Vidic, for example), it may take a while for that to happen.

Most Bosnian Serbs that I know support Serbia as their team, not Bosnia. Until Republic Srpska (semi-autonomous Serb region of Bosnia) gets a team, he's unlikely to play for Bosnia. Few Serbs from Bosnia currently do.

15. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    saw casey score a goal on tv against LA galaxy in MLS yesterday night awsome goal faked goalie out then switched foot and scored with oppisite foot. I think hes perfect for the US NAtional team;becuase hes 6'2 and fast with good footwork

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Neven gets a "3" for the match.

Another solid performance for the kid.

17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Posts like this still make coming to BS worth-while, great info.

How does this kid, with the bourgeoning talent you mention, get passed over by Rongen?

Tall, technical, ex-Yugoslavian pedigree (not too bad a record of producing world-class ball-sport players), holding his own in the BL at 18! All signs are go on this kid and US soccer better make their pitch a convincing one.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is BL2, isn't it?

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    2 BL - right you are

20. UChicagoSoccer

UChicagoSoccer New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Rognen for one.

I love how quickly people are to get this yank abroad or that yank abroad on the roster for the MNT. He was rejected for the U-20 world cup... with Valentin, Igwe, and Sarkodie ahead of him. Who you say? Exactly.

This kid isn't a Jonathan Spector or a Nathan Sturgis.

Give the kid time... or maybe try him out for the U-23s first. Just a thought.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not endorsing Rognen, but since Rognen, Nowak, and Bradley all try to have the same mentality going, I'm not so sure that someone rejected for the U-20s will for that reason be having many goes for the full MNT the following month or two.

21. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the cap him now talk is silly given his record, but to each theri own. I do think that since he is the only US U23 defender with a regular starting central defense job, he has to have a decent shot for the Olypmic roster, though he will have to perform well when given the opportunity.

If he prefers another country, so be it.

22. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I think you comment makes no sense given who Bob Bradley has given caps to over the last 6 months. Do I need to print the list?

Add the fact that another country is likely pursuing him, and it makes this an easy decision. Swiss friendly is the perfect opportunity for Bradley

23. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point, and I don't necessarily disagree or anything. But, the way I'm reading Martin's post it seems like he could mean someone with Subotic's record relative to current US national team defenders. That is, people like Kamani Hill and Charlie Davies have gotten caps without really established "records." For sure. But who among our defenders has been called up with so little experience?
    If you read Martin's post and think about Subotic in relation to current US defenders, then I'm not sure there's much precedent for someone with his record being called up--unless I'm missing somone, which is possible!

24. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Clearly, teams all around the world- including the top teams Brazil, Argentina, Italy, England- call up promising 18-20 year olds for a quick look-see in friendlies ALL THE TIME.

If its good enough for the best teams in the world, its good enough for me.

Given we are 3 years from the World Cup, are the United States (so are historically depth challenged), have a friendly coming up in Europe (so you going to fly MLSers...who are getting tired from the season...and strain them again. Look at Donovon..now he's hurt from Sweden..), and have a guy playing a relatively high level and getting good marks.

You telling me it doesn't make sense to call him up? When I tell you Serbia may call him up before the end of the year (does that get your attention?).

One name: Per Mertesacker.

25. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    what is this particular piece of name dropping supposed to signify?