Subotic: Gone

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Willy23, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    so we shouldnt take Soccer America credibly anymore... cool...

Neven said that at the age of 16... lets here your statements at 16, and see if you still stand by them...

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Neven Backstabovic

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who did he backstab, again?

5. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's easy. The U.S., by suiting up for us at the U-17 level and then changing allegiances to Serbia at the senior level.

6. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    The point is not everything you hear is true. Just because Subotic said Rongen's decision didn't rub him the wrong way doesn't necessarily make it so. Read his other quotes in Ives' article.

7. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does it really matter what he thought about Rongen's comments? If he had really wanted to wear the shirt, it wouldn't have been that much of an issue. It's not as if Rongen were likely to ever be his coach again, and a player who really wants to play for you isn't going to let that be the deciding factor.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you on this one. Yeah, it would have been nice if Neven had said, I appreciate what the US gave to me and my family when we couldn't stay in Germany, and when they brought me in to Bradenton.

But from what I have read about the kid, he's following his heart, and there's nothing wrong with that. He's honoring his people by playing for Serbia. Good for him, and best of luck (except when playing the US.)

One last point...alot of posters were saying, hey, he should play for the US because we always make the World Cup. That's true, but that's ignoring the Euros. That's a great, great tournament itself, and at worst Neven will get to play alot of high quality matches in Euro Cup qualifiers. The yawning chasm between the Gold Cup and the Euros, I believe, was a factor in losing Neven and Giuseppe Rossi.

9. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be true, but with Serbia Neven will in all likelihood never compete in the Confederations Cup. I bet he didn't think of that.

10. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Does Bob Bradley go and visit clubs were potential or current USMNT players play?

Recently Sven visited his players in Europe.

I bet Klinsmann would have done that...

11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, and that alone is enough reason to play for the US! :rolleyes:

12. Convert

Convert New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he following his heart, or going with the people who appear to want him the most? If I recall correctly, didn't Antic recently give Subotic's dad a recruiting trip? What was our response? We should have immediately followed up with his father. Serbia has world class defensive talent like Vidic and Ivanovic, and they still put on the full court press, with the help of their media. We have Bocanegra and Onyewu and say if Subotic does not feel American enough, then forget him.

His heart lay with Germany. Once that was ruled out he was up for grabs. Serbia correctly identified his father as the leading influence and pressed the attack. What did we do? You would expect better recruiting from our gaggle of former college coaches.

We just lost the best prospect to ever come out of Bradenton. Serbia is not paying us a transfer fee. We pined away for Subotic like naive, lovesick teenagers while Serbia wined and dined the decision makers in his life. We need to start fighting for these players (Rossi, Subotic), and understand that if teams loaded with talent are willing to go this far, then we need to be also. We will continue to have these issues because our best players still tend to be first or second generation Americans.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're joking right? I didn't see any smileys....

Neven went to play for his blood, his heritage and his roots. His father played in Yugoslavia and I'm sure Neven felt like this was next as far as identifying himself with a heritage. What do you mea Serbia identified his father...he played there before, I'm sure he knew people already.

Maybe he just didn't like the US. Maybe he just never felt American enough to wear the jersy and represent the USMNT. Maybe the challenge of playing throuh as real qualfier meant more to him.

As far as Bradenton...ths is nothing new. Germany sees this all the time. Several turkish players born and rased in Germany usally end up switching allegiance to Turkey after coming up through the whole German youth system. It's not a matter of "losing" these players - they have to make the choice that is right for them. There are many, many nations that see this happen. No wining and dining would have changed his mind.

Let it go! The USSF cannot feel sorry and nneds to stop kicking itself, as do fans like yourself, for losing something that they probably weren't ever going to have.

14. Convert

Convert New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His father may have had connections, but did he not recently go on, essentially, a recruiting trip? Would he have had that opportunity, and the the resultant press attention, if not for his son?

Were any of those Turks the highest valuated players in Germany? Because Subotic, with the possible exception of Rossi, is the highest valued American citizen in the world, and certainly the highest valued prospect to come out of Bradenton. Any other sport in this country and it would be a national scandal. I'm sorry, but it is a big deal when you lose such a highly valued investment for nothing.

This "he just felt more Serbian" business is corny and naive. He felt German. After that it was a recruiting battle that we lost, and cannot lose again with future prospects.

15. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    I believe the first lose was when USSF failed to recruit Klinsmann or someone in his caliber...

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course he went because of Neven. What the hell is wrong with that? Do you know for a fact that this was what made Neven turn away from the US? Neven had problems with the USSF way before his trip.

And I agree.
    • Ozil has yet to decide, is on the German U21 EuroCup Squad so if he chooses Turkey, yes.
    • Nuri Sahin chose Turkey coming up through Dortmund's youth system being the youngest scorer in the Bundeliga's history. Though he has failed to continue growing, and failed to make it to Germany today, he would have made the squad when his mind was made
    • Altintop brothers - great players that could have cracked into Germany. Born and raised in Gelsenkirchen.
    • Kovac brothers born and raised in Germany opted to play for Croatia. Nico could have taken a spot in Germany's defense as he was starting for Bayern.

This list is endless...

How do you know? Have you been in this situation? Do you have identity issues because of the different nationalites in your backround?

Look, I spent most of my life in the US, my wife is American and I love this country. My dad is German and I have lived there on and off as a kid...my mother is Ecuadorian and I have lived there on and off as a teenager. I sympathize with this kid - add the wars and other poltitical issues his family had to go through and I tell you, I won't try to understand were he comes from, but for USSF fans here to question his loyalty and cry "foul" is bullshit.

17. Convert

Convert New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not questioning his loyalty. I am saying the USSF lost a recruiting battle that it could not afford to lose. The highest rated prospect that it ever had a hand in developing changed federations. His first choice was Germany, which was not an option. After that, the USSF had to beat out Serbia for his services, and Serbia obviously did a better job of recruiting him. Was Mr. Subotic shown the red carpet by the big wigs at the USSF? I doubt it. How many Borussia Dortmund or Mainz matches have Bradley, Gulati, or Nowak attended? I have not seen reports of any. Did we get Drew Carey to invite Neven to movie premieres and similar NY or LA events? The USSF is not using all its resources, and is losing top level talent. We cannot entice a player with being coached by Antic and partnering Vidic, so we have to really show the love to beat out the European powers. There is no evidence to suggest that we did.

Any right thinking human being would go with a Serbia desirous of our services over an ambiguous US squad. That has nothing to do with loyalty. We go where we are wanted.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is my point.

I'm not sure Subotic was the USSF's to loose in the first place.

We have no idea if Neven even thought about the option of the US.

Antonio Rukavina plays for Dortmund as well and is a well respected member of the Serbian NT. He might have seriosly impacted Neven as well.

Seriously. think the USSF did the right thing - let the kid decide. The USSF is not Quatar and does not need to try to convince players to play for the US...players will make up their own minds.

19. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    tbf, when I was younger I really wanted to goto Howard University... their was an open house for these colleges and I went to their booth... the representative was more interested in flirting with the girls there, than talking to me... I was rubbed the wrong way about that school from that day forward and did not even apply there...

I know im just one case, but its not impossible for that to have swayed his opinion (even tho I dont think it did much)
    true... lets not believe Ives' quotes also... oh, but you wouldnt want that would you ;)
    if you are joking, this is a top 5 post of the year

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's absurd. OF COURSE he thought about the US. Jesus, he already played for us!!!!

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of course, I know this...and I would assume that anyone subscribed to this thread knows this as well if they have any interest in Subotic.

My point was; committing to the senior level. That was what I ment by "playing for the US".

Sorry for the confusion.

23. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Franz Beckenbauer was a diehard TSV 1860 fan growing up.

Then in a junior match, he got into a fight with an opposing player while playing the TSV 1860 Juniors.

So, he said, "Screw that. I am going to Bayern".

How little things change history.

And, yes, the USSF needed to recruit the guy the same way a good football program recruits the top high school football players.

Instead, they played hard to get themselves.