Subotic: Gone

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Willy23, Dec 23, 2008.

1. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    Can somebody explain to me how he has eligibility to play for Serbia?

If he was
    A)Born in Bosnia
    B)Fled Bosnian conflict to Germany
    C)Moved to United States when kicked out of Germany
    D)Moved back to Germany

How, then do you get to E)Plays for Serbian National team? Or is Serbia just allowed to cap anybody with Serbian ethnicity no matter where they live via extremely loose citizenship laws.

2. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    It's called jus sanguinis. Look it up.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That’s right, it stinks on ice!

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You think?

You guess?

You think?

Isn't there a moderator left in this town?

5. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    15 years ago it was a citizenship policy that was used as a tool of war to destabilize neighboring nations and then ethnic cleanse them. While within the borders of Serbia it has been used maliciously to first disenfranchise and then persecute non-Serbs. I just find it a stunning display of morality within FIFA that they would grant such a request based on a citizenship policy that was condemned by the entire international community.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    fyp

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're surprised by FIFA being amoral douches?Really?

8. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Yea:rolleyes:, it's sort of like colonial Western Europe having the ability to have anyone they might have had dominion over come and play for their national team.
    Get over it.

9. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I dont know... I actually think our central defenders (and our defense in general) is a very weak point to this team.. the fact that we mentioned Gibbs as a possible candidate kind of shows it..

Subotic would have been a big plus because he is talented than every central defender we have, imo...

its a loss, but he wanted to play for his country... and I applaud him for that... good luck to the dude... and Serbia have a very gooooood team coming up right now... and young

10. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    oohhh OK.

I apologize.

I would want to stab him in the throat myself if he did that to my country.

carry on :D

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the post-Anschluss Mannschafft at the '38 WC:),but yeah,FIFA don't care much about political niceties.

12. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    It's fine that some would have the belief that a country's political nature should have something to do with whether or not he should be part of their national team program.
    Because the perception is that everything Serbian is bad, NS is somehow being silly in his decision.
    That, of course, as opposed to choosing a country who has systematically attempted to dominate the nature of world politics through intimidation, lies, and military force based on the personal agendas of a few individuals.
    FIFA has absolute power, and is run as any oligarchy is. Neven Subotic is nothing more than a blip on the radar screen to them.

13. fuentga

fuentga New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Buenos Aires
    Rossi, Nevin or Castillo are decent players but none of them are significant upgrades to what we have. While Nevin has the biggest potential of all of them, we will see if Nevin ends up playing 30x for Serbia. Rossi is ok, however, he is not a game changer. Castillo is definitely NOT a game changer. Finally, it is hard to think of Subotic having a significant influence from his Central position.

Didn't Mexico think that Nery Castillo was the game changer? Well, he is not playing. Neither is Vela or Giovanni.

g

14. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know...I have seen Rossi play about a half dozen times this year and I think that though he may not have world class potential, he is one of the more talented young forwards around. He is certainly better than any forward in our pool. Maybe Jozy will be one day. I'd like to believe that Donovan is as good, but until he does it in a top tier league, I just dont know.

15. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ?
    i don't agree. and your sentence doesn't particularly matter. even if you think LD is superior to Rossi, the two would still play on the same pitch. So Rossi starts for the US. Subotic probably starts for us for the next decade if his pro career continues in the same trajectory. So there are two starters -- and they would be starters because they are upgrades. Castillo I admittedly don't know a whole lot about. But my thinking is, if he's playing for Club America he's probably pretty decent.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Based on their current global values - Subotic would probably be the best US player and Rossi the second best.

That's right.

Blame Clinton for Subotic choosing Serbia.

GW hever sent a bomber over that land.

Clinton and Wes Clark murdered what, about 2,000 of Neven's countrymen?

17. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I hope the U.S. plays Serbia in the elimination rounds of the 2014 World Cup and tears Subotic and Serbia a new asshole! Then I hope we do the same to Italy and Rossi... :)

18. Artesian

Artesian New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    The Evergreen State
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

19. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    What's Subotic's estimated transfer value?

20. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    That was due to the issue the site ran into earlier this week. I thought it was my job's internet that was acting up and I was bored with nothing else to do. :)

21. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Not necessarily what I was getting at; but, you're more than welcome to draw your own conclusions.

22. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Mainz sold him for approx €5 Million.

Approx €15-€20 Million

23. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire Bob.

24. Rev Hart

Rev Hart New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    The USMNT didn't need him anway! The USMNT has a good pool of Defenders to choose from anyway.

And since We're on the subject of Naturalized Players, why not Naturalize Emilio?

25. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    I don't really care how good the kid is. If he doesn't consider himself an American and isn't interested in representing the US, then I don't want him and would not have been in favor of begging him or making him promises in order to induce him to play for us. I don't have any ill will toward him. To me, he's now just another guy who plays for another country. Next!