Subotic: C-Z Jena v. 1.FSV Mainz 05

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by todd11, Sep 2, 2007.

1. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neven played the whole game away to Jena. He didn't have much to do in the first half as Mainz thoroughly dominated. A couple misconnected passes--- one a complete flub as he tried to switch the field with a 40 m pass only to hit it straight into the penalty area for the keeper. The other misconnect came within inches of setting Amri in alone on the keeper.

In the second half, unfortunately for him and the 05ers, he got stone cold beat on the goal. Came off a corner. He had his mark but let the forward get a hand to his shoulder and simply got out manuevered. Not good. But he recovered to have a good second half otherwise. Had one nice recovery where he thundered in to block a shot... and took out his own d-mid, Gunkel, and the Jena player---and most importantly, the ball---all in one crunching tackle. (as a defender that's the stuff I like! :) ---as 'Lexi used to say, "take out the ball, the man, and the first two rows"... love it!)

Otherwise, a good away win, and he played very steadily except for the mistake on the corner. If we hadn't gone on to win, it becomes more serious---2 pts lost this year on the road can't happen, the 2.liga is waaaay to strong for that. But it didn't. Hope he's more concentrated next time and learns from it. You don't get a lot of chances to 'learn' on the job, though, at this level...

2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    from yanks abroad:
    http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=3376
    "Carl Zeiss Jena 1 - 2 Mainz 05

Neven Subotic played the full match as Mainz 05 defeated Carl Zeiss Jena on the road for the first time in their 102-year history.

Markus Feulner gave the hosts the early 17th minute lead when a perfect Chadli Amri thread sent the midfielder in alone on goal which he duly converted.

Darlington Omodiagbe levelled matters in the 54th with an ordinary header from a Tobias Werner cross, but Daniel Gunkel gave Mainz the win in the 77th with a free kick cracker.

With the win Mainz creep up to third in the standings and will have two weeks to prepare for SC Freiburg who visit on September 16."

3. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
  4. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    welcome back!!

5. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    oh, Bruce..
    but I was always here...maybe you looked at wrong forums...
    P.S for example I posted a lot at US men youth forums...
    anyway ,it is nice of you you missed me:)..I missed you too..

your friend