Suarez Trade Revisited

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by TexanSoccer06, Sep 29, 2003.

1. TexanSoccer06

TexanSoccer06 New Member

LA gets Suarez, Chivas, and Broome. We get Hendrickson, Glinton, and a draft pick.

Lets look at the players:

To LA:
    Suarez: Rookie of the year finalist, All Star Starter, and will probably keep getting the occasional call up to the nats
    Chivas: Had an excellent season last year, was out of form for us, but still a potential All Star
    Broome: Solid role player, like Chivas had some bad form for us this year

To Dallas:
    Hendrickson: Galaxy MVP in 2001, 31 years old
    Glinton: Has scored 2 goals in his MLS career

So basically we gave up two All Star calibre players for a right back on the downside of his career, and an unproven midfielder who hasn't done crap. The more I think about it, the more this trade sucks. Suarez himself could have brought us a big time forward, and Chivas a serviceable defender. Who knows what the draft pick will bring, but this trade still fails in all aspects in my books. Thoughts? Opinions?

2. blastoff11

blastoff11 New Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Akron, OH
    Suarez trade.

Suarez sucks....period. no ifs, ands, or buts about it, as was proven before a live audience in person, and tape delayed, on saturday night.

has Chivas and Broome even seen the field yet since the trade? if so, i haven't noticed......

as for the Dallas side: season was done, as far as mangmt. was concerned, so why not rid the team of a player like suarez, who sucks if i haven't mentioned that yet, and two players that are on the way out the door as well.....by the way who is "Chivas?" and bring in a steady veteran (E-Z), who if i'm not mistaken had a big goal this weekend (even if it was offset by the Land-slide and D-3) and a young player who, yes is un-proven to date but with little or few chances to show, will make an impact when given substantial time and freedom.

just my two cents....

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, i agree. the next time suarez gets "called up to the Nats", it will be to the Will Call window for a WCQ game to pick up some tickets he's purchased from TicketMuckster (on his salary, no doubt in the cheap seats).

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't take this the wrong way, TexanSoccer06, but I think that you're WAY overrating the players that we gave up.

The proof lies in those players' production since the trade:

Suarez - 3 appearances, 246 minutes
    Martinez - 4 appearances, 212 minutes
    Broome - 2 appearances, 36 minutes

All of this in the 10-15 games that LA has played since the trade. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what Sigi Schmid thinks of these players. If he rated them at all, he'd be giving them more minutes.

As for these players' potential, Broome is 27 and in his fifth year in the league. Chivas is 26 and in his fourth year. Suarez is 26 and in his third year. Someone said once that "Potential means you haven't done anything yet." Nowhere is that more true than these guys. Could they end up doing something with their careers? I guess so, but at their ages, that window of opportunity is closing pretty quickly. At this point, I think you can fairly safely look at them and say that they are now all that they will ever be.

And considering that two of them might very well be in the A-League next year, that's not saying a whole lot.

As for what we've got, Ezra is definitively a better defender than Suarez, and anyone who tells you otherwise has forgotten how diabolical Suarez's defense was this season. And Glinton? Well, he's nothing special, but then, neither was Chivas.

And of course, there's LA's first-round pick. I don't know if you've noticed, but LA stinks this year. Their fans should be thanking the Good Lord above that the Burn have chosen this year to go into the tank. Given what LA has done this year, that pick is going to be the #6 pick overall AT THE VERY WORST. More likely is that it'll be #3 or #4 overall.

Overall, we got the better end of the deal.

5. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a good trade IMO.

EZ is much much better than Suarez. They play the same position.

A. Martinez lost his starting position to Brad Davis, who is a better player, more productive, and is very underrated.

Broome lost his starting position to Chris Gbandi and has been whining a lot.

6. robviii

robviii Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Chicago
    EZ has been a better defender than Suarez was THIS season, but I would have picked Suarez over EZ the last two seasons, and the jury should be out over who's going to be better over the next five seasons. Unless EZ matures into a central defender who can read offenses and direct defenses a la Agoos, Robin Fraser, etc..., then we're probably going to regret the "quick fix."

It's the same story with Martinez: one poor, but not even very bad, year. If it's a straight-up trade between Martinez and Glinton, the person who picks Glinton probably just never liked Martinez.

As for Broome, he plays better defense than Gbandi and Behncke. 'Nuff said.

7. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    damn, b-davie (as used to call him) is underrated???..kid was extremely talented, i hated to see him go and have seen him play for you guys a few times, i hope he doesnt stay "underrated" for long and he starts gettin pub...

for the good of the league (and bc i've been there with my metro)...i hope whatever rebuilding process you guys see in your offseason is a good one

8. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Thx, Bob. Our head coach will be right on it as soon as we find out who he is :)