Suarez to Uruguay (kinda)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 3, 2002.

1. eneste

eneste Member

Mar 24, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's not true. Friendlies don't count. David Johnson formerly of Ipswich Town is a good example, he played in friendlies for Jamaica but was still eligible to play for 100 other countries or so.

2. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin Vasquez also played friendlies for Mexico, but then played for the USMNT in the 98 WCQ's.

3. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    It's up to Bruce to decide. Suppose the USSF decides that they want a game in November. Bruce will call Suarez in for a look, they will talk, and likely Suarez will still go to Uruguay. If Bruce has a contract, and commits to capping him, he'll still go but likely tell them when he's there how he feels about Bruce's commitment.

However, if the Nats have a camp, Bruce is non-committal about capping him, and he doesn't get a good shot, then why NOT play for Uruguay, who have won a World Cup? The guy has ONE career, and if playing in a series of games against the best teams in the world (Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Paraguay) is your only choice, you take it.

I've seen Richie Williams, Chris Albright, Jovan Kirovski, and Joe-Max Moore mysteriously earn games they plainly did not deserve. All Ryan has said [and this is how I interpret it] is that "the team that gives me a fair chance, is the team I'll become tied to. I'd rather it was the U.S., but if it's not, it's not."

I don't blame the guy one bit for protecting himself. All he has to do is look down the Burn bench to know that protecting his own career is his priority.

4. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Friendlies don't count. Only tournaments do.

5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Uruguay may struggle to qualify for the World Cup, but they're not exactly soccer's answer to Siberia either. Many, if not most, of the Uruguayan national team are playing in Europe. Playing so many matches against the likes of Brazil and Argentina isn't the worst way to showcase yourself to European scouts.

And when Jason Kreis is saying publicly, on the radio, that he doesn't think that Bruce Arena gave him a fair shake, you can only imagine what he's saying to his teammates in private. So if Bruce Arena is serious about giving Suarez a look, he'd better not fool around too long. If he does, he might start seeing things Kreis' way and take the opportunity in Uruguay.

6. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    The thing I love about Suarez is the fire (not "Fire" ;) )he plays with. I was wondering, too, if playing with Kreis would affect his decision. Seems like it might, although from our perspective it seems like the U.S. is the right choice. Who knows, though, maybe he'd rather be a bigger fish in a smaller pond. You'd have to think he'd have a better chance of regular time on the Uruthugs.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    That is just silly. Soccer players are not morons. Kreis wasn't chosen.. so what? Do you think Suarez is a Total fool? If Kreis is a litle bitter( and it isn't clear that he is), I am sure that Suarez can undertsnad why- the US has many good strikers now.

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suarez should realize that living & working in the US and playing for Uruguay is a big disadvantage when it comes time for selection and playing time. He should check the situation in 94 with the Jamaican team concerning Brits who wanted to play for Jamaica.

And although BA has played favorites in the past, he probably will be more impartial this time around.

Suarez height is also very important to BA because the US is a "short" team and especially needs height for walls and for heading defense.

Here's hoping Suarez suits up for the US in the next WC!

9. BerwynBlazers

BerwynBlazers Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG GET FREDDY ADU CAPPED RIGHT NOW!

10. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Am I the only one who really doesn't care if Suarez goes to Uruguay?

C14

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Translation:

He's smart, but he's not going to listen to the "behind the scenes" dirt from a teammate but instead go with the most shallow analysis that any idiot on BigSoccer could come up with.

12. Here's the deal. For 2006 I see Bocanegra, Sanneh, Mastroeini and Suarez playing as our back four, with Pablo essentially a D-mid. All of these guys are fast and aggressive, and Sanneh has shown that he deserves to be our main defensive force. Pope is already pretty much done, I think, and doesn't really want to play in 2006. Just my opinion based on his comments prior to K/J. Suarez should IMMEDIATELY be put into action in friendlies, and he should be capped as soon as possible. You can just tell that he is a gamer, and plays like he has something to prove. If Bruce has shown anything, it is that he at least will give SOME guys a chance. Let's hope that Ryan is one of those guys. I am sure the he could step in with the USMNT no problem.

13. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    I don't think so.

In center defense, you may find Kelly Gray, Suarez, Gibbs, Bocanegra all fight for the two spots. Onyewu would own the right back one.

14. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Suarez can play any position on the back line and has done so in a pinch. You bet your SS that Bruce noticed that and he'll be capped at the first opportunity(not including that tribute game vs. MLS all stars).

Gibbs, Bocanegra, Suarez, Onyewu, and I tell you what, if Broome keeps his level, he's going to get a call up. He's probably significantly more skilled than Hejduk and at least equal in speed.

15. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Nick Garcia's better than Broome or Bocanegra. Quite a choice we'll have on our hands.

16. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I think you are half right there. Nick better than Boca, I think not.

17. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    defense

What about Chris Gbandi? I'm sure he'll make a case for a defensive spot also.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: defense

Well, let him actually play a few games as a professional before we start penciling him at left back.

(Which amused me about the whole "Onyewu would own the right back one" statement earlier.)

19. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: defense

spoil sport

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    come on- so Kreis wasn't chosen? Do you think Suarez is such a dumb-shite that he wouldn't factor that into any bitterness Kreis might show. Your comments make the US team sound like a local U-12 squad!Players are chosen and not chosen every day. Players are mad about choices every day-this is part of the sport.

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another issue for Ryan may be how he's received by the Uruguayan players, press, and fans. People in la Republica Oriental are fiercely nationalistic and may wonder why one of their favorite local boys may lose a spot to a guy named Ryan from California. It also won't help his cause if he has an accent.

All in all, it's probably not a critical issue, but could help tilt his thinking if he feels unwelcome.

22. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    The issue simple; Kreis had "bad luck" with the national team. Bruce started his tenure with "if you produce in MLS, you'll be strongly considered for the national team." Well, that turned out to be only half true. If you are Chris Albright, you were. Or ABMOD. Or a few others. Whatever you want to call it, let's just agree to call it "bad luck" for this discussion.

So,,,, Suarez is starting in MLS, playing well and getting enough support from fans to make the All-Star game from a no-owner team in the sticks. He's played great games for the Burn and proved he's indispensable to the Burn. For a defender, he's done very well. Now, suppose he suffers the same "bad luck" that Kreis got. Except Ryan doesn't have to suffer this "bad luck" the same way. He can go play for someone else. If he does well, he'll jack his salary because anyone that can start for Uruguay can probably start for Udinese, Parma, Energie Cottbus, Celta Vigo, or Newcastle. He makes dirt money now, but two good games for Uruguay, and he's going to be offered real money. And, he'll be on the Unified Calendar, so travel from Europe is less an issue.

So he has TWO reasons not to accept his "back luck" in quite the same way that Kreis has: one, he can play for his national team in CONMEBOL qualifiers in front of anywhere from 50-120,000 fans, be adored and loved. And, then he can leave MLS and pull down high six figures somewhere in Europe.

That said, I think Bruce will call him up, intends to cap him, and it's good for MLS and the USSF. But "back luck" can happen. That's all I'm saying, until he's capped.

And Sam, Nick Garcia is what Paul Broome was, in Broome's rookie year.

23. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What bad luck are you talking about? Kreis produced in MLS so Bruce Arena gave him some looks. After those looks, Arena concluded that Mathis, Wolff, McBride, Donovan, Stewart, Razov and even Joe Max Moore and Jovan Kirovski were more productive players at the more difficult international level. One billion MLS points is not going to change that.

Well, if Suarez suffers from the same "bad luck" as Kreis -- namely he is given a shot and is not as good as the other options -- Uruguay can have him.

And, a large number of Uruguay's World Cup defenders played in Uruguay, so you are getting a little overheated about the economic upside for Suarez, though it is better than being a USMNT player for sure.

Do all Burn fans really think that BA made a huge mistake and if we had just used Kreis instead of those stiffs McBride and Donovan, the US would have won the World Cup?

24. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I didn't pick up Pope's comments, but both he and Sanneh will be getting a little close to gray hair in 2006, particularly Sanneh who is the older of the pair, by 2 and a half years. Eddie was born in December 1973, which would make him 32.5 in the summer of 2006; Tony was born in June 1971, which would make him 35 in the summer of '06.

Tony had such a great Cup this time, and he may just have enough left, plus savvy, to cut it, but 35 seems to be pushing it. Eddie has been plagued by injuries. He still his.

Let's hope Bruce is nice to Suarez. We need new, young defenders.

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If my memory is correct, the origination of BA not giving Kreis a fair shake had to do with Kreis' Duke team knocking UVa out of the NCAA in BA's last year. But to be fair to BA, Kreis did stink in his chances. I think he should get another look sometime because of his success in MLS.