Suarez must be suspended from all matches.

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by rob88, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Also, if you have a player biting others, you really wonder what else he might do since biting is so far far out there. Such behavior is a bit of a warning sign even if it doesn't assure other extremely anti-social behavior.

If you have it happen once, you just think maybe tempers got frayed. This is different.

If one watches the first known incident of Suarez doing it in Holland, the video is amazing, play has stopped, the referee is speaking to the players it looks like and Suarez just lunges over and bites a player. The ref looks like he's within 5 feet of where Suarez does this. Compare that to a competitive situation where two players might be trying to out-speed each other and both are huffing and puffing or if it happened during a free-kick and the players are tugging each others' shirts and grabbing each other.

I was once at a soccer field where something happened and a player had his retina detached, the police were looking into it and the whole game was indeed, very ill-tempered. This wasn't a pro-game but some sort of recreational league.

2. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    YEs and have you seen their IDH, Pisa score and other development metrics?

3. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Never said his behavior was acceptable, just saying this isn't as terrible as some people are suggesting, asking for ban for life...

canis repped this.
  4. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  5. zeurcules

zeurcules New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    1)Why are you comparing Suarez to Robben? Robben has earned his good status and trying to take it away from him with an unrealistic scenario is ridiculous.

2)Suarez has done this so many times. It's not justified anymore.

3) I'm all for not judging people, seriously. You can be a man, be married to a horse, and have 3 husbands. Sure, that's weird as ********, but it's not my place to say otherwise if you're not hurting anybody.

However, people are allowed to have an opinion when somebody else is at risk. Biting people is not normal. Especially for no reason. There may be some places that consider that as normal behaviour, but I don't want to be a part of that society.

6. Snoop-a-luh

Snoop-a-luh Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Hexa, you are comparing a country with 17 million people to one of over 140 million...realistically and physically impossible to compare the two countries, and even if you do, they are not too far from each other.

The fact is the over 200 Chileans forced their entry inside maracana and destroyed the media center. If they have high indexes of whatever don't matter at this point, I'm talking about 200 people acting totally uncivilized when they are outside if their own country, just plain unethical and trash.

7. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    It's not just the bite, really Suarez destroyed that whole game between Uruguay and Italy. I have no idea how that would have ended. There was some gamesmanship from the Italians as well. So it's not easy to judge.

Some refereeing likewise, left some marks on a few matches. Fortunately, very few games, you just try to get on with it.

8. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    But what has any of that (there are more than 40 thousand Chileans fans in Brasil so 200 trouble makers is less then 0.005%) has to do with Suarez? I didn't get why you started calling people names

9. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    So there were some rowdy Chileans, we heard about the story of a few months ago of some Brazilian hooligans throwing a commode at a game. Obviously, we aren't going to think all Brazilians are that way.

Hexa repped this.
  10. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    I saw a penalty to Uruguay not called, and Italy wasn't getting anywhere they already had a man down. He should have been expelled but I can't say 10x10 would make a huge impact. Italy was dismal

Albirrojo repped this.
  11. omargesa

omargesa New Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    a bite is not dangerous as an elbow or leg strike
    i hope fifa doesn't bann him
    the guy is talented

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Oh so if he is talented it's ok to bite??

13. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Even if you aren't usually hurting someone with a bite, there's more to the equation. If you had some player taking dumps on the pitch during games, his conduct indeed would come under scrutiny.

14. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A couple of things. In a football match you are not allowed to play on if you are bleeding, so if a bite draw blood then the player has to be substituted.

There is a possibility of infection in a bite wound, especially from the person who gives the bite.

If 2 woman are fighting each other and one of them starts biting, that would be considered aggravated assault or actual bodily harm if it was on the face it might even bring a more serious charge.

How about if Saurez justs shoots someone? Is it OK if he accepts a sending off?

DutchLion repped this.
  15. Tambling Fan

Tambling Fan Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As for what would happen if an English player did this. I think he would be sent home and never play for England again. Whether it was Danny Welbeck or Bobby Moore.

When Ray Wilkins was sent off in a World Cup after a ball he threw hit the Ref, he never started another game for England. When Beckham was sent off for his silly kick, the whole country wanted to lynch him and it took a long time for him to recover from that hate. Nobody would defend Saurez the shark if he was English.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    well let's be fair: those people work for a football association. they're neither required nor expected to have a clue.

well, the photos depicting suarez as a pitbull/hannibal lecter/zombie HAVE been shopped.

the ones of chiellini however are certainly real.

lanman repped this.
  17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    balbi is a lawyer and he's talking like a lawyer. even he doesn't believe what he's saying so why should we? and why do you?

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

suarez didn't pee on anyone or pinch any loaves on the field. that was all photoshopped.

19. omargesa

omargesa New Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I didn't mean that, he should have been punished during the match by a yellow or red card and that's it ... not to destroy him completely as a footballer

Hexa repped this.
  20. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    As the ref booked him at the time, the FA were powerless to do anything further.
    The important thing is that Defoe has not done it since. It's not as if Suarez only got a 10 match ban a little over a year ago for doing the exact same thing, is it?

Pindakaas and guignol repped this.
  21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's what they say. that doesn't make it true. what i said about the UAF applies to soho square as well.

22. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  23. Tomazo

Tomazo Member

May 18, 2014
    Koper
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I'm very sorry for him, because he is such a good player. I don't know why he does this... I hope UEFA will let him play till the end of World Cup, but then he must get a serious punishment!

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Obviously aggressions like elbowing, headbutting etc are dangerous and should be punished. But there's something about biting that seems different. Even in street fighting where anything goes biting is frowned upon. It's seen more like an animal reaction, not a human one. I would put scratching in the same category. There was an incident in the Argentine league in which Gallardo scratched Abbondancieri in the face, and it created a big stir at the time.

I think Luis Suarez should be suspended from international football for a few games. And I'm sure this will cost him also in terms of endorsements and potential lucrative transfers, as well as affecting his status with his club. It's a shame, because he is a great player.

dapip repped this.
  25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It wasn't in Uruguay, Argentina or Chile that a fan killed someone by throwing a toilet seat at him, and it also wasn't in any of these countries that fans decapitated a referee, without mentioning pitch invasions by angry fans, that are a standard in your country.

Please don't start calling others as "under developed" when in your own country lots of similar and/or even worse issues regularly happen.

guri and Froboy69 repped this.