Stupid Cup of Nations! [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thedashlaw, Jan 25, 2008.

1. djdustn

djdustn Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Olympia, WA
    Must say I have never heard of someone losing their starting position simply because they went on international duty.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Gilberto

3. Schu419

Schu419 Member

May 17, 2006
    PA/NJ
    But he almost definitely also looked crap in training upon return, considering the miserable performances he's put in almost every time he's been given the opportunity. I don't really doubt that Kolo will show his superior quality in training once he gets back over here. No matter how on form Senderos is, he just lacks certain qualities that Toure has: pace, a reasonably dangerous shot, and true comfort with the ball at this feet (remember, Kolo was a MF when he came to Arsenal).

Don't get me wrong, by the way, I do rate Senderos and nothing would be a more hilariously awesome moment for the team than him playing a 1-2 near the box and slotting home (which he's shown surprising flashes of possibly doing), but I think when on form Toure is truly world class. Senderos is a good CB, but he'll never be world class

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I am not disagreeing with any of this... I am not saying that Kolo isnt better than Senderos... my point is that he should not just walk back into the starting 11... especially since our defense has been good as of late and we have not been conceding goals

5. djdustn

djdustn Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Olympia, WA
    I don't think Gilberto was dropped simply because he went to Copa America.

Gilberto's situation is quite a bit different from that of Kolo Toure. Gilberto was told by Wenger to take an extended rest after coming back from Copa America. He had missed all of the preseason training.

Additionally, he is over 30, so his time at Arsenal was always in doubt. I'd have to think Wenger buying Diarra and convincing Flamini to stay during the summer always meant Wenger was looking for a replacement for next season and this would be Gilberto's final season.

The fact that he has been marginalized this season is a reflection of his being older, and his missing nearly a month of first team training. Flamini developed chemistry because of the time he was given during the preseason. And he played exceptionally well when given the chance.

I don't think Senderos has played EXCEPTIONALLY well. He's certainly played better than say, the Sevilla game. But he still lacks pace (I wouldn't want to see him try to chase down Torres) and his clearances, even during the past few games, are unconvincing.

6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  7. brianodom

brianodom New Member

Aug 11, 2006
    Georgia
    :confused::confused:

8. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I get what he means in principle, although i wouldnt say Lehmann (got back in the team due to England's #1 hurting himself) and Berto (cup games and late sub who does little) earned anything this year.

Then again, while i don't think Toure needs to be rushed in for anything BAR the Milano game, we don't want him burned out like Henry was after our CL run then his WC run.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard Senderos had knee ligament damage from the ENG-SUI match so I think if Kolo is fit, we should be more than happy to have him stroll right back into our starting 11. Just my opinion.