Stuff from Other Leagues (The Beautiful Game)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Dec 8, 2015.

1. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Don't know how they made it in. Does concacaf have an odd number of countries so it makes sense to invite someone?

I do know they talked about Qatar working hard to play in the World Cup considering they are an automatic bid for hosting so it makes sense they would take every opportunity to play competitive tournaments/games.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Concacaf expanded from 12 to 16 teams this year so there was space for a guest, and since Qatar Air is the main sponsor of the tournament, something of a quid pro quo was worked out.

15 to 32, RSLer and KendaReal repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting news that Saudi Arabia is considering a joint bid with Italy to host the 2030 World Cup.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar (and Australia) was originally slated to be in Copa America but pulled out due to South America being a shit show with covid

which

timing has made that decision (and subsequent decision to come to Copa America) really funny

6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to be frank here and say I’m confused.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this after the Milan game yesterday. It was... weird.
    Having Rossi commentate on the game was especially strange.

9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the next one scheduled to DVR. I’m looking forward to it.

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2023 MLS will not have league games for an entire month in the summer. Neither will LigaMX. That’s because the two leagues will play against each other during that month. In the attached article, Garber doesn’t explain how the MLS season’s schedule will be revised to accommodate the “reimagined” tournament. My guess is that there will be more mid-week games for every team.

https://www.dcunited.com/news/all-m...ons-for-historic-leagues-cup-starting-in-2023

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this sounds... really dumb

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s my thought too. I guess the reason for it is…follow the money. No one knows the format of course, but I expect lots of Liga teams playing in full stadiums in the USA.

rslfanboy repped this.
  13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I can sense some serious FOMO of UEFA and CONMEBOL.

RSLer, Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, though getting the money from this requires some actual legitimate TV contracts. The CCL barely moves the needle / brings in cash, so why would a second and third tier competition do that?

15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what everyone is complaining about. A 47 team tournament featuring all MLS and Liga MX teams with three CCL entry tickets on the line? Get that Leagues Cup title out of here! This is a King of Most of the Continent tournament! I'm all in on this silly cash grab, but I have so many questions. Where will the teams play? Will they rotate hosting duties (Western Conference hosts 2023, Eastern Conference hosts 2024, Mexico hosts 2025, the Moon hosts 2026, etc.), or will they play in home stadiums and have a ridiculous one-month travel schedule? Will MLS decrease the number of league games to accommodate the tournament, or will we see more mid-week empty stadium games to make up for the lost month? Will MLS change their roster rules to increase team rosters to handle the additional games? Will MLS finally beat an LMX team, or will this end up being an all LMX final four for years to come? I don't know, but I'm beyond excited for this silly tournament. And unlike CCL, you can bet this is going to get good TV coverage. Univision, Fox, ESPN, Telemundo, etc., will need something to fill the gap in their regular coverage of the leagues.

16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    You used too much punctuation. Remove all the commas, periods and question marks, and your post becomes complete.

DrownedElf, 15 to 32 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree about the CCL/new revisioned tournament difference. Ask any American who isn’t a fairly avid soccer fan about CCL and they will have no idea what you are referring to. A month long tournament of just MLS/LigaMex teams will definitely move the needle and gain fairly popular interest. Beyond the 2023 money grab, I have to admit that my understanding of the apparent growing partnership between MLS and LigaMex is still sketchy. What are the long term benefits? What are they trying to achieve? Will this stimulate the growth of soccer as a major professional sport in the USA?

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DOS a CERO!!

Allez RSL and rslfanboy repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most comprehensive and complete game from USMNT under Gregg. I was especially impressed with the much hyped midfield trio of Adams/McKennie/Musah playing to their potential.

Pulisic off the bench was a crazy nice luxury.
    Weah looked incredible (MOTM for many)
    Makes you wonder where a guy like Reyna fits in

All good problems

A win tomorrow (3pm MT, WTF?!) and we're cruising. Had Honduras held on against Panama then the window would have been especially awesome.

RSLer repped this.
  20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GAWD, I love El Tri playing on a pitch surrounded by ice and snow. 16F, feels like 7F. LMAO.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Salvador up on top of Panama in the 15th second!

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn’t find a great fit to put this, so I’m putting it here since he is mostly associated with Irish soccer. Alan Kelly was a breath of fresh air in MLS officiating. I hate to see him retire.

23. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man U bounced out of the FA Cup by Middlesbrough in PKs.

Life is good.

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  24. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    I'd like to see UEFA and FIFA ban Russia and Russian teams from international competitions.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA did what the IOC has and banned them from hosting games and using name, anthem, and flag, but they are still the Football Union of Russia or something like that. Their upcoming opponents in WCQ are unhappy with that.