Stuff from Other Leagues (The Beautiful Game)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this doesn't fit into the other MLS teams thread (it's from Scotland), why not another thread as we wend our way through the offseason?

Hibernian in Scotland has a fantastic anthem. Folks generally know of Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" but I'll take the Hibs fans signing "Sunshine on Leith" at/during big games:

Lizzie Bee and SoccerPrime repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they think RSL pipes in our song... ;)

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't get enough of this

4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we are going to talk about team anthems, during one of my trips to the Middle East in 2013, I was watching an RSL's playoff game on a Al-Jazeera sports channel. Instead of cutting away to the studio during half time, Al-Jazeera left the feed on the stadium, but without any announcers doing what announcers do, spewing "facts" about the game. When the teams came back out the pitch, everyone in the stands started singing the RSL anthem and it was so clear that I could have sung right along with the fans while sitting on the couch (und I did). I guess the fact that RSL has lots of fans who don't consume adult beverages and as such, aren't plastered for half of the game makes it easier for them to sing coherently.

Ismitje repped this.
  5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The music is piped in at half time, all of it, before the 2nd half kick I'd say maybe a quarter of the people in my section and section 35 to my left are even paying attention. The vast majority are talking to each other or looking at their cell phones, it's helped that they switched the music to Metallica (if I remember correctly), the metal music kind of wakes people up. Once the ball is kicked people kind of get back to the flow of the game, but very few actually sing/chant until then.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is this where I lodge my complaint on not doing final countdown for the last few games?
    That was ********ed up

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I hated the final countdown, whenever I hear that song I just think of some stupid geico commercial now and laugh, it doesn't get me pumped up at all. Some good heavy metal music does, though.

El-ahrairah repped this.
  8. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah! Heavy Metal rules!

A better song than anything by Metallica (okay, except maybe Jump in the Fire) to play when the team comes out on the pitch would be "One Shot at Glory" by Judas Priest.

I dunno, maybe it would work better for a more pugilistic sport like pointy-ball football or rugby........

9. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Too bad there is no such thing as good heavy metal.

BalanceUT, Ender16, Lizzie Bee and 2 others repped this.
  10. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    neg rep:thumbsdown:

FC-Sky11, SenordrummeR2 and El-ahrairah repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This remake of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" is wonderful:

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to have a good time at the games. laugh a little. This was the sure thing where I would laugh and smile before yelling at Cassar to pack his bags.

Let me have this

SenordrummeR2, Taragui and Allez RSL repped this.
  13. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's a package deal. If you own "Final Countdown", you also have to own "Sweet Escape".

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .... I liked sweet escape. I think we over use (over the audio system) believe

15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also liked Sweet Escape...

/ducks

I just didn't like laughing at stupid things, like the Final Countdown, before the start of half. Whenever I played I just wanted to be focused and pumped up before kick, things that made me laugh or think of how stupid it was just distracted the hell out of me.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bruh, you need to drink more

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I drank anymore $9 beers I'd be broke as hell. I think next season I'm going to just start bringing in my flask and buying a coke and mixing it in the bathroom, used to do that for Blazers games up in Portland all the time.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  18. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Oh - now I know what they mean by 'Zion wall' then. Don't want to see 'that' in public!

19. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season the girl in front of me got thrown out of the game for taking a few pulls off an e-cigarette, I didn't even see any smoke and the only reason I (and whoever ratted on her) knew was because all of sudden it smelled like fruit/strawberry's. Eventually I saw the vape pen, though, and not long after security came down and kicked her out. If people saw me with a flask I can only imagine how quickly I'd get ratted out to security. People in this state just make me shake my head, why can't you mind your own damn business? The "tattle-tale" culture here is so ridiculous.

20. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    LOL, but I was implying something else wrt going to the bathroom for 'mixing' things.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

[​IMG]

GoRSL repped this.
  22. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for this! I'm now stuck on their YouTube page listening to other covers. This one is particularly great:

23. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Last season, the lady in front of us snuck in a liter of vodko. She put it down the back of her pants. Unfortunately she also snuck in a package of sushi the same way. I'm not even kidding. She was completely blitzed before every game started. The highlight was when she took off her pants because they were wet and hung them from the railing. I wish I was making this up.

24. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a few in front of us that sometimes bring a flask. We all know when they do, because instead of coming down with beers, they have a couple Pepsi's. It helps that they're on the front row, and everyone around them doesn't seem to care. I've been tempted to do the same thing, but then I'd have to buy $4 20 oz sodas, or whatever the insane markup is now.

25. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's not the markup, it's the fact that it's Pepsi that makes the scenario unpalatable.

BalanceUT repped this.