Studying abroad in Utrecht this spring, any words of wisdom?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by keeper1031, Oct 2, 2012.

1. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the title said I will be in Utrecht for the spring. I plan on going to as many FC Utrecht matches as I can, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for some other can't miss games!

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^ I spent two years in Utrecht in the late 1970s on a postdoctoral fellowship and it was great. Fortunately, my late father's cousins lived in Amsterdam (there are a couple of kids who are still there) and I was able to go to almost all the home Ajax matches with them. It's a quick train ride up and back and you'll see better football than in Utrecht (though I did attend a several home Utrecht matches with colleagues). Utrecht has had financial problems and sold off a lot of their good players over recent years.

3. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    UU is awesome! My "significant other" was a junior researcher there and is now a PhD student at their UMCU, I'm so proud of her.

I second Orange14 and think you should just take the train from Utrecht CS to Amsterdam Bijlmer ArenA, it's only 15 mins and a lot of Ajax followers that live in Utrecht are taking that exact train. :D