Students in Boston

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by futbol2ot, Sep 30, 2003.

1. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a number of posts from college students with no cars about how difficult it is to get down to Foxborro for Revs games. I think it would be cool if we could get a group of students to carpool down to some games. I don't have a car, and I don't know if any other students on these boards have cars, but if we got a big enough group, we could rent a cheap van and split the cost. I go to Northeastern. I know there are at least a couple of other NU students here. I'm pretty sure there are also some BC and BU people on the Revs board. So if anyone is interested in getting something like this organized, post here.

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah I'm a Northeastern student. This would definately be a good idea, maybe even if we could do it for the Oct 11th game then that'd be sweet. With only a couple of games left in the season it'd be nice to get down there. I think there's at least 4 NU students including you and I who post on here.

3. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. I also have a friend here at NU that doesn't post. So that's a total of five from NU. We need the other college people to come here and speak up. Organizing a group for the Oct. 11 game would be great. Perhaps we can do it for the playoffs too (keeping fingers crossed).

4. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    hell yeah. i actually graduate in december so that's not good times.

5. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I go to Holy Cross, so I can probably get someone from out here sometime if need be.

Scary!

6. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    great to see networking here on the bds from the students. i walk thru tufts everyday and see plenty of people wearing soccer jerseys....so there must be a footy fan population at all of the institutions...of some size.

maybe another suggestion....there may be other soccer peeps (fellow students) that aren't here on the bds nor people you know. don't most colleges run message bds or places to post over their networks? like for coordinating rides home over breaks, etc.. i think it would be great to get more college students down there any way possible. maybe posting over your networks is another avenue to explore?

can an intercollegiate revs' supporters group be far behind?
    ;)

7. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea.

8. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Hey Popero I was just wondering are you originally from worcester area?

9. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Nope, originally from Ledyard, CT.

10. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I grew up in Preston.

11. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Cowtown!

(How about that Sox game last night? :D)

12. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sox game was incredible! Any idea when World Series tickets go on sale? I'll sleep on Lansdowne St. for a week to get them if I have to.

13. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No, but probably soon. ALCS tickets whent on sale even before the ALDS even started. However, you're welcome to sleep on Lansdowne St. all you like but it probably won't do you any good. So far all playoff tickets have been sold by phone and online.

P.S. we actually refered to Ledyard!!! as a cowtown, you have a freaking agricultural program as part of your high school for christ sakes!? How old are you Popero btw, we might have played soccer against each other?

14. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    You don't even have a high school. They send your kids to our Vocational Agriculture program. :p

I'm 20, a junior at Holy Cross.

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I went to NFA, we have an art museum..graduated in '98. We might have played some rec soccer against each other...?

16. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Ha, you're lucky to have gone to NFA.

Well let's see, I played Freshman soccer the fall of 97, JV 98, and Varsity 99 and 00. I probably missed you. I would known, though, the teams you played against.

When I was graduating, we had these two Brazilian kids on our team. Jesus, they could play. They went to East Lyme last year, though, IIRC.

17. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    When I played rec league in Jr. High ('94-'95) and I think before we used to play wed. games at Ledyard High. That's the only thing I was refering to because yeah, we probably would've just missed each other playing high school soccer plus I don't think that NFA ever played Ledyard as we weren't in the same conference.

18. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    just 'cause it's useful info

You guys in boston area universities could take the train down if no one has a car. It's more expensive than driving and parking--$10 apiece for a ticket versus splitting parking and gas--but it is an option. The commuter rail sells tickets to Gillette for "special events" and stops directly across the street from the south parking lots. It leaves after the game, and the return trip is free (requires no ticket).

19. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Pretty sure they don't run the rail for Revs matches.

20. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yeah it doesn't they did run one for the Juve/Barca double header friendly, as it stands we can take a train relatively close to the Boro but the cab ride to there is very expensive. for a whole there's been a bry that it's a shame that the Revs don't run some kind of shuttle bus from Chinatown or wherever else. I just imagine that they don't feel that there's a need or demand there to justify the expense.

21. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "You guys in boston area universities could take the train down if no one has a car."

As has already been indicated, the train doesn't run down to Foxboro for a majority of Revolution matches.

There are some 250,000 college students in the Boston-area. Shame most of them don't have easy access to these games.

The Magpie

22. oiRevArmyoi

oiRevArmyoi New Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Boston
    I go to MassArt, right down the street from NU. I usually get a ride with the rev army guys when I get to go to a game (which is rare this year because of the LAME ASS start times).

23. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    If there are 3-5 of you you can take the Orange Line on the T, transfer and take a bus to East Walpole, and take a taxi from there ($14-15). You could also hitch, as the road from East Walpole runs right to Foxboro. I finally found out how to do this by calling a dry cleaning store in Walpole.
    Tom in Chicago
    BC Class of 1974

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There also may be a commuter train from South Station that goes within a reasonable cab-ride to Foxboro. On the other hand, it might be tough to get back, as they probably don't run very often going into town at night. Might be worth checking out the schedule just the same.

Tom

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Maybe there should be a "Chinatown" Bus to Revolution matches. There's an idea.

The Magpie