Student DC Supporters Unite!

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU4EvertonIan, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I dunno exactly what it would entail, but does anyone think it would be a good idea to form an organization of dc united supporters who are college students. it wouldn't be like a supporters group or anything, but just an interest group, working perhaps as a liason between clubs and universities, where there is a largely untapped and knowledgeable fan base, as well as negotiating for things like student concessions in the cheaper seats...say 13 for a 16 or 18 for a 22.

I don't know if this would ever actually work, and I AM NOT VOLUNTEERING TO BE THE LEADER, just wondering if the idea has ever been considered, and if not what do you guys think?

2. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I'll get on board with this. But I can't really head the thing either being in Philly and all. :(

At the very least there ought to be more marketing by DCU on college campuses (not to mention MLS as a whole, honestly). There are so many international students that love soccer in this country that it's probably a good chance to make some money.

And come to think of it, Stoichkov might actually be an asset for this sort of thing.

3. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know DCU has tried doing stuff with AU (one was when they played UVA and had Goose and Harkes come out and sign autographs), they did some sort of cross promotion last year and I'm sure there have been other player appearances. And there have been games with UMd as well.

The big issue with the team trying to come in and market is that the Universities want something back, like people paying money to attend their college soccer games. So in essence, they're both after the same people so it's not quite the ideal match.

What's really needed is some organizer type (you know the type, campuses are crawling with them) to get a bunch of friends to come to a game. If one is in a campus club, make it an outing. You already know how to get tickets in one of the supporters sections and/or how to hang with them before a game and this is the experience that will keep people coming back.

You can ask, but I think between group sales and the Supporters Section tix prices I don't think DCU would lower them anymore than they already are. They also want to sell more plans than individual games.

K

4. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be in favor of this idea as well, unfortunately, I spend much of the season here in Columbus at OSU... but PM, if you possibly need any help.

5. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
    If DC gives me a jersey I'll wear it to class at the community college I attend. Somebody get a hold of Stephen Zack for me. :)

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll put up signs at Mason for free beer... err tailgates... think that will help? :D

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'm in the same boat as everybody else. I got to school in Williamsburg and that is just too far to commute for games...

8. couldn't hurt