ST's BigSoccer NCAA D-1 Top 30 Quarterly Report.

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by soccertom, Sep 23, 2008.

1. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Hello All,

Here are my updated Top 30 Rankings.

Preseason Ranking in parentheses. Discuss. Enjoy.

Link to the preseason thread,

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725582

1) Wake Forest (1)
    2) Maryland (10)
    3) Saint Louis (3)
    4) Connecticut (2)
    5) UIC (13)
    6) St. John's NR
    7) Creighton (7)
    8) Notre Dame (9)
    9) SMU (12)
    10) Northwestern (19)
    11) California (25)
    12) Indiana (15)
    13) Akron (8)
    14) Boston College (14)
    15) Louisville (24)
    16) North Carolina (16)
    17) South Florida (15)
    18) Dartmouth NR
    19) Loyola MD (29)
    20) Ohio State HM
    21) UC Davis NR
    22) UC Irvine NR
    23) UCSB (5)
    24) Duke (26)
    25) NIU NR
    26) NC Charlotte NR
    27) Providence NR
    28) Georgetown NR
    29) Drake NR
    30) Western Illinois NR

2. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Finally, a guy who knows what he's talking about.:D

3. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching both SMU and Tulsa play NIU over the weekend, I'm glad you dropped SMU down some, but disappointed you didn't give Tulsa some kudos. I think Tulsa was the better of the two sides this weekend. I know their record doesn't show it right now, but I don't think we have heard the last of them. They can play the game ! Tulsa will get a chance to prove something, they lock horns with SMU this weekend.

4. slubound

slubound New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    This is a very good Top 30, i just hate seeing Northwestern up there...I kept my mouth shut in the past because of my buddy David Roth (who happened to knock us out of the tourney with a 30 yard shot in the past:mad:) but now he's gone and I honestly have to say they are way overrated.
    But, we get them at Hermann in a bit so hopefully we can put them in their place...and I hope the boys at IU give them a good wake up call when they meet towards the end of the season.

5. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Oh no question whatsoever that Northwestern has been overrated since they beat SLU in 2006. I likely have them overrated right now but you have to give them credit for piling up the W's. No question they are a good team.

By the way best of luck with your recovery from injury...

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I'm definitely a Tulsa fan. I hope they beat SMU senseless. At this point in the season they just don't quite have the record to get in. Plenty of time for them to make some noise...

7. chef

chef New Member

Sep 11, 2008
    I really like Tulsa as well. They had a good UConn team beat for 88 minutes...

8. Futbol0020

Futbol0020 New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Soccertom hit it on the head... You have to credit a team that is 7-0-1, a team that finds a way to get wins in college soccer.

While Northwestern has been dogged by certain posters on this sight for "barely" beating Loyola (CA) and Princeton this weekend, they did just that - they won the games. Whether they barely won the match or outplayed the opponent, it still goes in the books as a W. Meanwhile, a SLU team "barely" ties LMU 2-2... it still counts as a tie, right?

I usually give SLU a lot of credit for playing a tough non-con schedule. They do face Connecticut, Northwestern, and Creighton in this year's schedule, but the rest of the non-con schedule is nothing glamorous. Does 3-0-3 against teams with a combined record of 12-18-11 make them a Top 5 side? Will the A-10 schedule truly prove how good or bad SLU is? I am not sold yet.

Then you look at the flip side, Northwestern having a soft non-con schedule to ease the pain of the always tough-sledding Big 10 schedule. NU has a 7-0-1 record against teams that are 18-28-7. Does this make them better or worse than SLU? Does it matter that Northwestern beat LMU while SLU tied them? Does it matter that Northwestern defeated St. John's in the preseason?

I think the matchup NU has this weekend versus Ohio State and the trip down to St. Louis will answer a lot of questions. Just realize that your bias towards SLU, which you are entitled to, often impedes logical thinking towards other sides. We all know it affects you ability to truly comprehend SLU, but you don't have to let it label every team as overrated...

9. slubound

slubound New Member

Jul 31, 2008
    I will have to agree that SLU isn't a top 5 team in the country with their performances so far. I think they COULD be but I agree that 3-0-3 is not a top 5 record. You can't base rankings on what the teams potential is...which is why NU is top ten now (because they are doing well on the pitch) ...but you can call out a team being overrated, especially at this point in the season, because there is still a lot of season left to be played. If NU goes the entire season like they are now then I will not say they are overrated but right now they, as well as many other teams, haven't proven very much.

10. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I fully credit Northwestern for their ability to win games regardless of the strength or weakness of the opposition. I haven't seen any dogging of NW by certain posters on this sight for "barely" beating Loyola and Princeton but perhaps I missed it.

I'm still bitter about SLU's loss to NW in the 2006 NCAA's. :D That win launched NW and they are still riding the wave of momentum nearly two years later. Make no mistake SLU had the much better of the play during that match but NW got the win and the spoils of victory. NW haven't looked back since. NW may very well come into Hermann and walk away with another win. If so more power to them.

As far as SLU's schedule I believe the expectation was for San Diego to have a better record than their current winless slate, same thing for UC Riverside.

Portland was a good win for SLU and Portland seems to have recovered and is playing some good soccer since.

Denver was picked second I think in the WAC and quite frankly Denver is a damn good team. I expect Denver will string some wins together.

SLU scheduled 3 Top 10 Teams in UCONN, Creighton and Northwestern.

I'm weary of reading posts about how SLU should win all their A-10 games like they are automatic wins are something. Heck a win is a win correct? No one is begrudging NW for piling up 7 wins vs less than stellar opposition are they? The facts are simple. If you play in a powerhouse Conference such as the Big 10 or ACC you may schedule some cupcakes to pad the win total (see NW Ohio State or Virginia. Consequently if you play in a non powerhouse Conference you need to schedule some top teams to pump up your RPI.

Finally SLU plays a good A-10 slate of games against the likes of,

Dayton
    UMASS
    Charlotte
    Duquesne
    Rhode Island

Dayton, UMASS, and Charlotte have all been ranked in one poll or another this year. Charlotte has a very good team and UMASS is of course coming off a Final 4 season. Rhode Island is rebuilding but they brought in a very strong class.

11. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach

12. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. mountie

mountie New Member

Jun 30, 2005

14. justakid

justakid Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Big game weekend!

Wake vs. Maryland. I expect Wake will handle their bidness with Maryland.
    UCONN vs. St. John's. UCONN is due for a breakout game.
    Northwestern vs Ohio State. Northwestern should win.
    Louisville vs. Notre Dame. My Crystal Ball shows a Louisville win.
    Indiana vs. UCSB. Must win for UCSB. Basically a toss up. I see a tie or a OT win for either team.

16. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Trending up:

UIC
    Northwestern
    Louisville
    UNC-Charlotte
    Georgetown

Trending down:

Notre Dame
    SMU
    Boston College

Huge games this weekend that could shake up the rankings.

Clemson @ Home vs # 2 Maryland. Maryland lost last week vs Wake. Another loss will drop them to 9 or 10.

# 4 Connecticut @ Home vs. West Virginia. UCONN should win.

# 16 North Carolina @ Home vs. a rapidly improving Virginia team. Should be a barnburner. UNC needs to hold serve. A UVA win merits them as a ranked team.

# 17 South Florida @ Home vs. a really athletic and improved Syracuse team. Should be another really good game. I won't be surprised with a tie or a 1 goal win by either team.

# 12 Indiana @ Home vs. Michigan. Must win for Indiana. Will be a battle.

# 15 Louisville @ Home vs. #6 St. John's. Louisville is big and strong. St. J's is skilled and quick. A St. John's win will validate their ranking big time. I think Louisville will win.

# 25 NIU @ Home vs. # 13 Akron. Another big conference battle. Whichever team wins will gain a big boost of confidence. Something tells me that NIU will squeak one out by a goal or will hold on for a tie.

#3 Saint Louis @ Home vs. #7 Creighton. Oh my this is a huge game for both teams. A win by either team will be a big signature win. You have understudy vs. mentor in Donigan and Warming. Whenever these two programs meet tempers flare. Should be a big crowd for this one as well.

# 22 UC Irvine @ Home vs. # 23 UC Santa Barbara. A battle of the Cal's. I'll take Irvine since they are at home. UCSB really needs a win.

# 8 Notre Dame @ Home vs. # 28 Georgetown a team on the rise. ND is coming off 2 straight losses. Can they afford a 3rd consectutive loss? This will be a close one. This is a pick-em game. I'll take GT just because I can.

Washington @ Home vs # 11 California. Big Conference game. Washington is improving and Cal is sorta holding steady. Another pick-em game. A Cal win strengthens their ranking. A Washington win puts their season right back on track. I'll take Washington by a goal but a tie or Cal win wouldn't surprise me one teeny tiny bit.

17. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    My ranking is as follows:

1. Wake Forest
    2-200 Everyone Else

Eight goals in an ACC game ? Wow!

18. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    For the trending down teams lets officially add,

Maryland. Big game tonight vs trending up UNC-Charlotte
    Indiana. Big game tonight @ improving Butler.
    UCONN. Next game Wednesday @ Providence.

I previously meant to add to the very quickly trending down list New Mexico...

19. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

Nov 17, 2007
    so right ST, it has been a strange and unfortunate first 10 games and we find them "trending down" at 4-4-2. color me perplexed...

i do believe they have a run in them in these last 9 games. I have to right? I'm a fan.

BTW, thanks for taking the initiative with this thread and for maintaining it

20. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    It isn't too late for New Mexico to turn their season around. They just need to get healthy and get a few wins under their belt. In the remaining 9 games New Mexico will need to win at least 6 of them to make a strong case for a NCAA Bid... Of course it's one game at a time.

21. Redmen Rule

Redmen Rule Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Aug 16, 2004
    Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yukon #4 ??????????
    They aren't even the fourth best team in the Big East.

22. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Calm down. My poll is released quarterly. This poll was released on September 23rd.

As to whether or not Connecticut is among the top 4 Big East teams that is still to be determined. No? I meant that is why all the Big East teams play a Big East slate of games. Am I correct? Thanks.

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too early to make predictions on who makes the NCAAs this year. One question for everyone, how many auto bids are there? Thanks.

24. N0vaaaaaa

N0vaaaaaa Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im interested in this as well

25. scottmsg

scottmsg Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Rockport, IN
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 22 automatic bids.

ETA: The championship handbooks for each division and sport can be found here.