Striking Teachers Deny High School Students Their Education

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by IntheNet, May 25, 2005.

1. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    So teachers don't have families that need looking after?

2. yimmy

yimmy Moderator

Aug 23, 2004
    California
    Sorry to hear about the sad situation. My son will be attending kindergarten in a few years. I live in the silicon valley area so i'm wondering if I should take a look at private schools.

3. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    There are a few good public schools around but you have to look for them. The key is an actively involved community. Parents who volunteer as classroom assistants. Parents involved in fundraising. Parents who regularly attend school board meetings.

Now is a good time for you to attend some school board meetings. Get a feel for how the board members address their role in education. That will give you a very good idea about the district.

If you are not satisfied with what you see, then research private schools or consider moving to a district with good schools.

Investing in your son's education is the best thing you can do. And the best way to do that is not with your money, but with your time. Read to him now. Everyday. Nothing is more helpful and no time is too soon. Start today. Kids who can read well typically do well in all subjects. If more parents took the time to just read to their pre-school kids, the overall results of our schools would be markedly better.

Good luck.

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    If they could find replacements, I'd be for firing all of the striking teachers as well. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. There's a reason we don't generally allow civil servant's unions to strike in this country.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points--I think too often, lazy parents just assume that their kids will magically 'become educated' attending school, even though they have never installed a love of learning or even basic learning skills.

Kids who read well and early probably had parents who read to them. I would also argue, they also have parents who read, period. I've been to a lot of homes where there are no books on the shelves, except the kids books. If Mom and Dad don't read for pleasure or enlightenment, what message does that send?

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quote above explains why millions of parents have had it with teachers and their cavalier attitude toward their responsibilities!

7. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not a quote, that is a fragment. What you are doing is taken one piece of a sentance entirely out of context and misrepresenting the original thought. And that is why no one, including myself, takes you seriously. You are a troll. I don't know why anyone on this board responds to you seriously b/c you have shown yourself to be nothing but a wind up toy.

That is a quote. And it is absolutely dead on right. My kids don't have the love of learning that I did b/c many of their parents never installed in them a love of learning like mine did for me or your parents did for you.

8. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    More good points. I especially like the part about parents modeling reading by reading themselves. I am convinced many parents have no idea how important modeling is, both good and bad, to their kids.

My wife (who is now home for summer vacation) and I have been bantering this subject back and forth this morning since this twist came up. She mentioned that kindergarten and 1st grade teachers at her school frequently have to actually teach children how to hold a book upright and explain how the text progression works as they have never even gotten that far at home. What a sad commentary on the state of parenting in many homes. :(

9. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then you would have no objection to this and call it right as well?

"Good points--I think too often, lazy teachers just assume that their kids will magically 'become educated' [by] attending school, even though they have never installed a love of learning or even basic learning skills"

I'll wait while your hypocrisy germinates.

And by the way, a quote or quotation, according to Webster's lexicon, "is the repetition of a passage from or statement of another". Nothing at all is said about a complete sentence; indeed, quotes or quotations can be as short as a single letter or word taken from another, as long as so noted. I need not have you changing the rules of reference on your own whim.
    Webster's New World Dictionary, 1990.

10. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    ITN,
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get off your "blame the teachers" gig!!!

Yes, there ARE some bad teachers out there who should not be in the classroom. But when that is the only thing on which you seem to focus, the rest of your often valid points that you make in many threads, get discarded without serious consideration. In this regard, you are your own worst enemy.

Sorry if I sound like I am lecturing here but I, for one, would like to see more of your points given serious consideration but your presentation often prevents that from happening. :)

But on the subject of "cavalier," you should sit in a teacher's chair for a while and listen to the cavalier attitude of parents who think the teacher should do it all while they, the parents, sit back and do nothing. I would suggest it is THAT cavalier attitude that is holding back education more in this country than anything else.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So I'm entitled to say that Nixon said "I am.......a crook"? Context, intentional misrepresentation and outright lying mean nothing, right? In the context of accurate quotation? (D'oh!! Silly me look who I'm talking to.......)

12. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You are an idiot and a troll, and this has gone on long enough.

I just - and I mean literally just walked in the door - came back from visiting Reavis Elementary, a K-8 school on the South Side of Chicago where 80% of the student body recieve free or reduced lunches due to their parents falling into the low income category. Reavis, like every other school in the Chicago public school system, is severely underfunded and facing budgetary problems, which manifest themselves in the extremely outdated classroom materials that they are forced to use because they can't afford any better. What's more, the children don't get recess because the neighborhood is patently unsafe and the playground that they would normally use is inhabited by drug dealers, gangbangers, and pimps. Finally, parent involvement in the school is so low that they can't fill the spots designated for parents on the local school council.

It is this environment in which the teachers at Reavis are forced to work, and to insinuate that their attitude might be anything even remotely approaching 'cavalier' is not only doing them a disservice but is also being downright offensive. These teachers and the administration work their asses off in order to give the children the best possible education that they can despite having to struggle against incredible odds, most of which I've listed above. For you, and people like you, to make the ludicrous assertion that teachers are only there to collect a paycheck and benefits (which is the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard in my life - do you have any idea how much teachers actually make?) is not only just plain wrong, it's also doing an incredible disservice to the incredibly hard-working administration and faculty at Reavis and places like it.

But, of course, I know that this entire post will either get ignored by you or misquoted, so why do I even bother?

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You forgot the other usual option - "I really respect what you are doing, BUT [Insert usual offensive, ill-informed partisan ideology here]"

14. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it was poor reading comprehension on my part. I did not close enough. Unlike you, I can admit when I am wrong or make a mistake.

15. Camp David

Camp David Red Card

Jun 3, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    :(
    It would help if you could contribute something to post rather than criticism.

16. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oddly enough, we have been saying the same thing to InTheNet.