Pre-match: Strikers vs. FC Edmonton ::: NASL Quarterfinals

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's time for the PLAYOFFS! That's certainly nice to be able to say after the last 4 seasons of Miami FC lol.

The playoffs start where the regular season did: at home vs. FC Edmonton. Let's hope the result is much better this time.

Since that loss in the opener, we've gone undefeated vs. the Eddies, beating them 3-0 at home in July, tying 1-1 up in Alberta in August, and again on the road we won 2-1 in the last meeting in September.

We should be able to win this game.

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlighted is the operative word. We all know how unpredictable the Strikers can be. Hopefully they show up with their A+ game on Saturday. If not, it's going to be a long, long off-season.

Get up! Get out! Get LOUD!!

GO STRIKERS!!!

3. jamonty

jamonty Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Have any of your local media outlets done any game previews? Links?

Here's one from Edm. http://the11.ca/2011/09/27/fc-edmonton-needs-better-finishing-if-it-is-to-upset-fort-lauderdale/

You argue that Ft.L hasn't lost to FCE since the home opener but I don't think the 2-1-1 record really tells the whole story about the two teams that will meet on Sat.

Due to time zone difference, I rarely have seen games live, but I am to understand that the games in Alberta were both rather lopsided in Edm's favour... and it was only lousy finishing by FCE on set pieces or defensive errors that led to the Ft.L coming away with points.

The first game win by the Eddies should also be writen off. Neither team really knew each other and the players and teams on the field that April day are rather different now that it is nearly October. There's been 27 (or more) games since then to work out kinks.

The 3-0 win by Ft.L in july is perhaps also moot since against FCE was weather conditions, the end of a long 3-game road trip and a rather new midfield constellation. Only long travel will be of relevance on Saturday, if that since the team is will arrive today (thurs).

In fact, I'd argue that the teams match up rather evenly. The Strikers finished 9-11-8 while Edm was 10-6-12 (but we among the Edm faithful would like to note a horrible 5 game losing streak in mid-summer and furthermore petition to strike from the record a miserable 5-0 home loss to Mtl at the beginning of the campaign. :p). Both Ft.L and Edm registered 35 goals. The Strikers conceed only 36 goals and Edm 40 (but see note regarding loss to Mtl).

The Strikers and FCE both play a possession-oriented game and, perhaps as such, are both horribly inconsistent in their performances.

Strikers have home-field to their advantage but also have a fullback suspended. FCE have had a 2-week layoff to their adv, but equally so, have had a 2-week layoff to their detriment.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the numbers or have seen skewed post-match reports, but don't believe it will be a given which team will win on Saturday.

4. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are rarely covered by the local media. This is, after all, minor league soccer in the USA. The 4 major pro sports get all the local coverage along with college and high schools. NASL is very much beneath the radar.

If you'll read my post above yours you'll see we know that this game is a toss up. The Strikers are the most unpredictable team in the NASL. We only hope that they bring their A game Saturday. If they do we might just advance. If not, we won't.

5. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ugh....2nd home game in a row that I have tickets to a massive college football game (Bama vs UF). Good news is that when the Strikers win and advance....no more football games for 3 weeks, so i'll be there for the semis. Get a WIN lads!!!!!

6. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Dolphins sucking, and the Marlins wrapping up their existence at Sun Life and hiring of Ozzie Guillen, it's a tough week to hope for the Strikers to get some decent press(even though they should anyway).

I'll admit the games in Edmonton were not dominating performances by any means, but FCE has a massive home field advantage with that wacky field that every visiting team has trouble with. The Strikers finished their chances and got 3 points in Alberta. And a 3-0 win at home.

It's not a given but as I said, we should win this game.

7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Two more days! When I walked into Lockhart earlier this year for the Red Bulls exhibition match, it was the first time since I was a boy that I'd watched my beloved Ft. Lauderdale Strikers in person. It brought me back to those fond memories of Nene, Ray, JVB, and the rest. Opening night for the regular season was the same way. And I really think that if that first Rowdies game hadn't been ruined by a monsoon, it would have been the highlight of this season so far.

Now we get to open yet another chapter - a return to the playoffs for the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. No Ft. Lauderdale Strikers team playing in either incarnation of the NASL has ever missed the playoffs. That's something to be loud and proud about, and the boys did enough this year to make sure it was a tradition we could continue to carry on.

Here is what I hope we'll see Saturday night. I hope Coach Shore stops experimenting with guys who have done nothing on the field, simply because they are here on loan. This is the starting 11 I'd love to see: Glaeser, Marty, Stahl, Gordon, Laing, Arguez, Restrepo, Mayen, Coudet, Shriver, Abe. Now, I'm sure I'll be disappointed. Shore seems to love Palacio, but to me he's been too inconsistent. Chacho is also FAR better than him on set pieces, and Palacio seems to be the guy on those when Chacho is out. Set pieces decide a lot of games, and NO ONE on this team comes close to Chacho's ability on them. If that Morales punk and his stupid blonde stripe haircut is in the lineup again, I might just puke.

If Shore puts out his best lineup, and if they all show up to play, this team can beat anyone, period. All year we've been waiting for them to live up to the potential. We've seen runs of it, now it's time to get it together, and hold it together til the job is done. I am beyond ready for it to be game day even now! I think we're going to have one of our best, if not the best crowd of the year. And I'm going to predict a 2 - 0 Strikers victory! Go Strikers!!!!!

8. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    The Sun-Sentinel has had a game preview and review for every game I can remember, they might have missed five to ten total out of 56 possible (two per game). If they miss anything, it's a road preview. I don't know what actually gets in the physical paper, but they've been online and easily found (at least until football season when they tend to get pushed down the list a bit quicker as new articles come out).

9. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just hazarding a guess here, but I'm thinking Antique probably recalls the days when the Strikers were front page full photos in the Sun-Sentinel sports page. I remember waiting for my dad to be done with them so I could look at them too! LOL

I don't knock the Sun-Sentinel at this point, as they're far more than any other local media outlet is doing for the team. This is an area to try and build on for next year - media exposure, in all forms. Big O is a huge fan and gives the Strikers air time on his radio show all the time. We need a regular segment with him on his show next year. We need better coverage from the Sun-Sentinel, and at least some coverage by local tv. All this would be a whole lot easier to come by if the Strikers can win the title....

10. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The media will have to cover a ticker tape parade down Las Olas Blvd. :D

11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not a canal flotilla? :p

12. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been done... twice by the Marlins. And to be honest it's not as fun as the Heat parade was. I went to that on Biscayne Blvd. in Miami in 2006, but stayed in FTL for the Marlins boat versions.

That's one of the suck things about the Marlins moving, they'll likely not include Broward in the celebration if they win another title. The Heat didn't do it. Only the two "Florida" teams had parades/celebrations in both Miami and Fort Lauderdale(the Panthers had a more modest event for their Eastern Conference title in 96). Those were awesome experiences that really unified all of South Florida in support of our local teams, for a little while anyway.

I've got no problem heading down to downtown Miami, but it's cool when they reach out to the whole community.

13. Newtbomb

Newtbomb Member

Mar 24, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa! Slow down fellas....we're gettin' ahead of ourselves. As has been said, this is a pretty even matchup, despite our home field (which hasn't always proven to be an advantage). In some ways, I wish we were playing Carolina right now. Obviously, I am confident we could beat Carolina again. We've done it before and they seemed to peak, but the real reason is that the Strikers played better against Carolina than any other team. If we had 'bottled" that style of play for every match, the Strikers would have, at least, been unbeaten at home.
    I was onhand for the Fusion's heartbreak Supporter's Shield season and I recently (and in '86) watched, sadly, as my Red Sox failed miserably to live up to expectations. I know that disappointment can happen even in the best of situations. What we have here is NOT that. The Strikers are inconsistent. Sometimes brilliant and yet sometimes so Miami FC-like it is excruciating.
    I will celebrate this playoff game as if it is our last. If they win, then I will be joyous and begin the process again. SPORT CLICHE ALERT: "One game at a time, boys, one game at a time..."

14. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^Indeed. Let's get it done on Saturday, and as supporters let's go all out for the boys in red and gold.

15. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So I take it stories like this doesn't make the print edition?

16. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the Sun-Sentinel, or the Palm Beach Post. I wouldn't know. I do get the Herald & it rarely has anything relating to the Strikers. There's nothing on radio, AFAIK, and I've never seen or heard anything on TV. For the vast majority of the South Florida media, most of it in Miami, the Strikers do not exist.

17. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, at least not the majority of the time. Sometimes they do, after the home opener they even made the front page, but most of the time the print version does not feature the Strikers.

18. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The only edition of the paper in print that I get is Sundays. In it, especially after Saturday night games, there is always a small write up on the game. The back section with standings and schedules for all pro sports leagues always has the NASL standings and most recent results, along with the next week's schedule. Brousseau does a good job with his coverage and he always interviews the Coach in post game, plus he has the semi-regular Ask Dave interview segment leading up to games as well. Problem is, the only place I ever hear the post-game interviews is on the Ultras Alive online radio show, and the Ask Dave pieces are only on the Strikers You Tube channel. Those are sources only people who are already fans visit. It's not increasing your exposure, which is what we need the local media to be doing.

I saw one time when the Channel 4 Sunday Night sports show had about a minute or two piece in the Strikers. Big O is always willing to talk Strikers on his show (3 - 7, Monday - Friday on 640 AM) and he's the stadium announcer, but it's not formal. He has had Tim Robbie on, but what we need is for the team to get with him and the station and have an actual weekly segment with the coach, or players, or Tim, or something during the season. This week would have been an ideal time to start it. Fins suck, Marlins suck and are done now, there's virtually nothing going on in South Florida sports (Canes have a ho-hum against Bethune Cookman this week). Having Coach Shore on with Big O today would have been ideal.

We can come up with ideas, that part is easy. Local media isn't going to cover something unless they feel people will watch, listen, or read. The fastest and best way to get the team newsworthy is to win the NASL championship.

19. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10% to 15% chance of rain predicted for this evening. Nothing showing on TWC's radar now. Should be a good evening for the game.

GO STRIKERS!!!!!

20. MarkyMark

MarkyMark Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article was in the print edition, to clarify. It was on the botttom of the second page below the miscellaneous news and calendar.

21. Petersontj

Petersontj Member

Jul 24, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5-0!!! That's the way i like it!

22. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikers 5 v 0 Edmonton w/3700+ in attendance...:eek:

I could have been worse. This was the most dominating performance by the Strikers this season. They pretty much owned Edmonton from start to finish. They played their guts out for 90 minutes & got rewarded with a chance to play PR, since FCTB lost 0-1 tonight. Next week @ PR and the week after @ Lockhart.

Go Strikers!!!!

23. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Member

Mar 5, 2001
    Good game by the Strikers. Hope they have some goals left in them for Puerto Rico.

Paid attendance was in the 3,300 range. A bit disappointing. I expected at least 4,000 for a playoff game but I guess some casual fans hit up the 'Canes-Bethune game instead. No 'Canes home game for the next two weeks.

No excuse not to get at least 4,000 for our home leg versus Puerto Rico.

And LOL at Tampa...

"See ya in the finals."

More like see ya next year.

24. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT A GAME.

Unreal performance from the boys tonight. Shriver with 2 and Abe with the hat trick. I actually threw my Strikers hat on the field, managed to get it back, then got it signed by Abe after the game :D

We could have had 3 or 4 more in the first half. Edmonton had no serious chances throughout the whole gamer. Pure domination.

Bring it on PR!

25. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Attended this game and enjoyed my time. Atmosphere was fun, though attendance was noticeably lower from the Atlanta game.

Dominant performance from the Strikers, though the finish in the first half was atrocious. Much better in second half.

Ref didn't want to ruin the playoff game, but that one foul by Edmonton player should have been a red. Late challenge and high.

Hoping to go back in two weeks time for semifinals.