Pre-match: Strikers @ Puerto Rico Islanders ::: NASL Semifinals Leg 1

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Oct 5, 2011.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game recap in the Sentinel was printed next to the USA-Honduras piece, under the "MLS" section lol. They sure are playing like a top tier club right now.

2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    They probably think that the NASL champion will be promoted to MLS ;)

3. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Excellent game from the Strikers in their 3-1 win. Hope they can hold PR Islanders off in the second leg next Saturday and make the finals.

4. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    I finally got a chance to watch the recording from UStream last night. Brilliant game all around, aside from the flashback in giving up a goal immediately after scoring...fortunately it wasn't the 90th minute and it didn't tie the game.

My only real question was would did Shore bring in Arrieta to play midfield with 20 minutes left? Was Mayen hurt? and I'm hoping Nuñez came in for Abe strategically and not because of injury.

5. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Mayen got called to international duty once before, so I'm guessing that was it again. Haven't been very impressed with Pecka replacing him. He's got speed, but Mayen seems smarter and better on the ball. I want to see Arrieta back in his usual spot of right back for the next game. Gordon has subbed admirably, but I like Arrieta's experience just a little more. Yeah the sub for Abe was a little bit of a mystery, hope he's ok. Nunez is best coming off the bench, I've said it all year. He provides a change of pace that the opposition hasn't seen all game when he comes in fresh. Still think he's more suited to attacking MF because of his size though.

Didn't think much of Shore's bench other than Nunez on Saturday. Quinones has been God awful in the chances he's gotten to play. Morales always seems like he's playing a completely different game than the rest of his team when he's in. West isn't really anything more than a back up to a back up behind Gordon, Arrieta, and Laing. No Chacho and no Santamaria. Odd. But anyway, it all worked out in the end!

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    He did not play and was not even on the bench in El SVD @ Dom Rep

7. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hope he's not injured then. He's certainly played well enough that I highly doubt he was left out of the PR trip by a coach's decision. If something is wrong and he is unable to play again, I'd much rather see Coudet in for him than Pecka again.

8. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Arrieta's going to potentially have played 200 minutes in the week leading up to the second leg, I'm fine with keeping the continuity of Gordon in there. He didn't look good when he came in, but that certainly could have been due to tired legs.

I didn't have a problem with the sub in general, I was just surprised by the timing.

Quiñones had to be there, he's the last CD available, especially with Arrieta barely available. West is as much an outside mid as an outside back, I'd assume that versatility is part of why he was included. Santamaria over Morales would have been fine, but then you might be weak if something crazy happens in midfield.

9. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Hopefully Chivas USA didn't call him back from his loan (it doesn't look like they have).

Coudet doesn't fit in with this team at all, especially when it means he'd have to play as a wide mid (or move Palacio out there). Granado over Pecka's probably a wash if Pecka wasn't hurt for extended period in the last game.