Strikers? None left - City have them all.

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by electrickeeper, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't you guys already have enough attacking midfielders?

2. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, want Jenas? Hell, I'll even throw in Pienaar.

3. Spur_Forever

Spur_Forever Member

Oct 1, 2005
    DC
    Rumour has it we've signed Diarra...

4. Swaggin916

Swaggin916 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we really need Diarra again? I just don't really get it. Sandro is a stud and that means one of them will be sitting on the bench the majority of the time unless we play a little 4-2-3-1 with Lennon, Modric, or Vandy on the bench.

5. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    we have sandro, huddlestone and palacios as our dmids.

WHY?

im probably so worked up because there has been no solid transfers for the first team yet.

edit: harry says we need to sell before we buy. there are 7 players in the first team that are garbage and who could be sold, wheel and deal!!!

the players in question are: hutton, bentley, jenas, keane, crouch, bassong and alnwick.

6. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Rossi, Mata and Ruiz, all really similar players. Looks like we are trying to create an attacking midfield trio that will have alot of versatility and fluidity. There is no fixed position. The 3 attacking midfielders can interchange among themselves. Do I sense beautiful football or should I say sexy football for Spurs? :D

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because a team needs more than one dmid, not only for injury/suspension/tiredness/form but also to have the option of playing both together in tough games or late on in matches to protect a lead.

Two dmids also allows the fullbacks to push on, as there is someone to cover for them.

8. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did a little FM scouting on Bryan Ruiz and he appears to be (according to them) a highly technical player with good moves, good finishing, and some pace on him. It also looks like he can be a threat in the air since he's about 6'1. I know he had a pretty solid season for Twente last year, so hopefully that translates into a decent season for us, if we sign him.

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking certain that Palacios will be announced today or tomorrow as a Stoke player - fee about 8 million. Diarra also expected to finally be announced for us afterwards, but that's looking a lot less certain.

VdV told Sky Sports that Modric is definitely staying for at least one more season. Modders is disappointed but accepted it and VdV thinks he'll be over it in a few weeks.

10. calmanalysis

calmanalysis Member

Aug 16, 2008
    NYC
    Wow, a £6 million loss on a 27 year old player - how unLevy like.

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Whenever I think about our striker situation, I get depressed. Then I remember I'm in the same fan base as these guys.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkt8E2Ul-Xw"]‪Chas & Dave - Aint No Pleasing You‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

And all is right in the world. If I ever find this on a juke box in New York City, I'm putting it on repeat for 8 hours.

1 person likes this.
  12. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    best of luck Wilson P. at Stoke...I will never forget you coming in and saving our ass three years ago. what was it harry said about him at the time - "he'll never fit in...he likes to tackle too much".

13. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rossi is a striker. And your off ur rocker if u think we are landing any 3 of those. I wish I was wrong though :(

Looks like Lass might be wrapped up, great! So who the hell is our striker now!!!!!!!!

Diarra woudl work great as a 4-2-3-1 though. With a combination of Bale, Lennon, Modric or VDV up top and our mystical lone striker in front of them.

14. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Spurs-seal-Modric-deal.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Apparently Chelsea will offer Benayoun + money for Modric now. I don't believe this for a second, Yossi has been fantastic for Chelsea in the preseason and as the article says he is perhaps the key to unlock Torres.

However if this were true, if we got good money plus Benayoun I would be happy with it. He is a little more of a winger than Modric however, so we might be stuck without a true CM to pair with Sandro. However in a 4-2-3-1 I think we would be dynamite with a pairing of Bale-VDV-Benayoun. Of course we still need someone to put int he goals!

Perhaps Torres + Benayoun for Modric? :D

15. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    But he can also play as a second striker which is like VDV. And of coz I'm not dreaming of the trio together, I would take Rossi over Ruiz and Mata anytime.

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Benayoun is mediocre. Chelski still being delusional with their bids if that was true.

In any case VdV has said Modric is definitely staying for now. Still a chance that could change if Chelski offer mega money and the club has other players lined up, but I doubt it. Abramovich seems worried about financial fairplay, which is a good sign for the future.

Stoke claiming to have made a final offer for Palacios and Crouch. Apparently Levy is still planning to do his usual thing of leaving everything to the last minute.

17. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, Benayoun is fantastic, but he wouldn't fit so well with Spurs and isn't the same as Modric.

Anyway, we need to sell Palacios and Crouch damnit! And Keane!!!!! It's getting too last minute and I'm afraid this will be like our winter transfer window with no one coming in!

Apparently we are going to bid 35mil for Hulk and Diarra is too expensive for us so thats off.

18. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  19. Swaggin916

Swaggin916 New Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys we have Aaron Lennon who is a freakin boss on the RW I don't know why we need to bring another winger in here.

Hey last minute stuff is better than nothing, but I would prefer he'd do it earlier so guys can train with the team before the seasons starts... but hey it's a 9 month season lol not that big a deal.

20. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Lennon plays all 38 league games, I'll eat a hat.

21. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Benayoun - meh. Looked great at West Ham, less so at Liverpool/Chelsea. Not for us. I'm reassured by the VdV statement and a quote from Jordan that Luka was knuckling down.

Not sure why the urgency to lose Crouch, he's a completely different option for us and I'd be happy enough to keep him.

22. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I would have taken Benayoun over Pienaar, not Modric.

23. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Yes, if we ever need to not score, he'd be a fantastic option.

24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL