Pre-match: Strikers @ FC Edmonton ::: Match 26

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by drSoFlaFan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another big match for the Strikers(what matches aren't big this time of year?) as they travel north of the border for the last time this season to take on FC Edmonton.

This is a huge game when it comes to playoff positioning. If we win we move up to 4th place and into a tie with Tampa for 3rd at 37 points. We have a game in hand on Edmonton as well, so even a draw from this match still gives us a realistic shot at a home game in round 1 of the playoffs. A win or draw on Sunday, or a Montréal loss or draw, clinches a spot in said playoffs.

Other noteworthy news is the PR-FCTB match scheduled for Saturday in Bayamón was rescheduled to Wednesday the 21st. This could help the Strikers as it forces Tampa Bay to play 3 games in the span of the final 8 days of the regular season. A tired Tampa is a Tampa more likely to lose to us in the finale and also against the Islanders on the 21st.

Also, The Strikers are hosting a watch party for Sunday's game at 9:30 PM at Duffy's Sports Grill in Fort Lauderdale(in the Publix Plaza off the 17th St. Causeway). Head over if you want to check out the game on the big screen. I was there for the last Carolina road game and despite the loss and a few appearances from Mr. Screensaver it was a pretty good setup.

2. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strikers lost 0-1.

Fifth or 6th place will probably be their fate.

3. Petersontj

Petersontj Member

Jul 24, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: The strikers win 2-1.

4. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody didn't see the second half lol....

WE WON!!! Not the prettiest win(how pretty can anything be on the atrocious plastic pitch up in Edmonton), but we'll take it!

Now a win on Saturday at home vs. ATL clinches 4th place or better and a home game in round one.

GOOOOOOO STRIKERS!!!!

5. jamonty

jamonty Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, looking alot like it'll be the Rowdies and the Strikers now in 3rd and 4th, barring a disaster for both. Word is we only need two points from our last three games. One win in three and we clinch a home playoff game.

Should be the same for you guys. If Edmonton does anything other than win on Saturday both of our teams are almost assured a home game. Even if they tie and we both lose we both own head to head vs. them and they'd still finish no better than 5th.

That also sets up the possibility of a Rowdies vs. Strikers final. But let's not get too excited about that just yet. (dear god how epic would that be?)

Gotta watch Minnesota though. If we do lose to them on Saturday they'll be only two points behind us with one game to play. We have a game in hand on them and would only need one point from our last two games as we own the head to head tie breaker vs. them as well, even if we lose on Saturday.

There obviously is a scenario where you guys would have a chance to knock us out of the top four on the 24th, but I don't want to talk about that. :D

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The Striker site had it listed as a 0-1 loss, not trailing 0-1 at the half but a 0-1 loss, on the one occasion I had to check the score. I took that as a fact & a final score. I blew it. To say I'm glad I was wrong is an understatement. Delighted at the pleasant surprise I got when I saw the correct score on their site & then verified it here....:)

In 4th place & in the playoffs. Excellent. Much better than what I imagined when I went to bed last night. Very near what I hoped for at the start of the season.

8. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hell YES Strikers!!!! What a roller coaster of a game last night, much like our whole season. The first half was positively atrocious by us. That guy Quinones needs to join Morales on the bench. Platter looked spotty at time as well. When we went down 1 - 0 I thought there was no way we were coming back to win with how sad the attack looked as well.

The second half wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but the boys certainyl looked much better than they did in the first 45. The Strikers took full advantage of some Edmonton defensive lapses to get the goals. It's about time we had a couple of lucky bounces go our way too.

Goal 1 of making the playoffs accomplished - check! Now, Goal 2, a home playoff match in the first round - Saturday, 7:30 PM at Lockhart, we can check this one off as well with a win against the last place, but recently improved Silverbacks. We already lost to them at home this year, we CANNOT be complacent. The ability to host in the first round as opposed to travelling to Edmonton, Minnesota, or Tampa can't be stressed enough. Make one of those northern teams come all the way down here instead! (I see us finishing 4th and Tampa 3rd still most likely.)

Canes playing their home opener on the same night will certainly hurt our attendance Saturday. But I hope we still get a decent crowd, and let's be louder than we've been all season!!!

9. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    I'm pissed my phone alarm didn't work and remind me to watch the game when it happened. Was Glaesar out and Coudet in due to simple squad rotation?

I'd rather face Minnesota than Edmonton in the first round and Carolina than Puerto Rico in the semifinals...but that's probably not possible.

10. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Strikers have proven they can beat anyone in the league... except Tampa :mad:. We've defeated the other 6 teams at least once. And we've not lost in either Edmonton or Minnesota(a draw and a win in each).

That being said I'd prefer we stay away from that terrible pitch and cold weather in Edmonton in the first round, so last night's win was key. Also I'd rather not have to drive to St. Pete two weeks in a row. Much rather face FCTB in a home/home set in either the semis or the finals.

And good lord, not to get ahead of ourselves, but wow, talk about a dream final that would be huh? :D

Now to beat the Apes from Atlanta and lock up that home game!! Hopefully they can keep this hot streak going right on through October!