Strikerfans in Sounder-land

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by Strikermansteve, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Strikermansteve

Feb 10, 2012
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Just got back from Seattle, where my son and I were able to take in the DC-SEA game last Wednesday. We joined the March to the Match-about 2000 that marched to the stadium from Occidental Park, only after being whipped into a frenzy by Soundwave, the team's 54 piece marching band. There was a DJ, emcee, giveaways, etc. At the stadium, there were the usual soccer activities, foosball contests, etc.

Inside, 39,000 attendance for the game. DC never really threatened to win, dropping a 2-0 decision to the Sounders. SHANOSKY was on the DC roster! (insert joke). The band played after the match and a few thousand hung out for the music.

Of course, my son and I wore our Strikers jerseys and were approached by 5 or so Seattle fans over the span of the night, several of which recognized the kit instantly...pretty cool. Our brand is known nationwide (and beyond)!!! It was great representing the Strikers so far from home and we were well received and, obviously, easily noticed in what was otherwise a sea of green and blue.

It was a bit frustrating, as much fun as we had, knowing that we have a lot of work to do down here to ever have a chance to take it to this level. What I know is that our fans are JUST AS PASSIONATE for the red/yellow as they are for their team. We are doing what we can as fans--chants, band, supporters groups, community events, etc. ... but there are so many issues regarding commitment of ownership, stadium, the on-field product, coaching.....

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this experience on. Comments?

2. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That great stuff... There is nothing wrong with showing pride in your team and the colors no matter what market or what Division. I hope it all works out for all the fans down in Florida.

drSoFlaFan repped this.
  3. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you.....:)

4. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool! So you were the guys we got tweets about from Seattle fans.

We have a long way to go on the field, that's for sure. But the ownership is getting there and they are very serious about building a new soccer specific stadium for the Strikers. If the team can get a stadium done, things can really get rolling.

They may not be interested in forking over $50 million or more to join MLS, much to the displeasure of some so-called soccer fans in SoFla, but with a new 5-10K SSS the long term future of the Strikers would be secure, and that's good enough for me.

There are some guys over in the Strikers/Miami MLS thread that would highly refute that claim lol. They are unable to see past the flashy lights of South Beach and comprehend that anything outside of the 305 can have any relevance on a national/global scale.

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

I don't really feel like getting into a long debate about this but the Sounders-Strikers were both in the old NASL, which is why some older fans of the Sounders will recognize Strikers gear. But wear that to an RSL game, Union game, Toronto FC game and I doubt many will recognize the uniforms.

Cool experience you had, though. Seattle is a great soccer city.

6. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL sent Paulo Jr. to the Strikers on loan last year. The Union have Aaron Wheeler(former Striker). Thomas Rongen runs the TFC academy.

I think you doubt the US soccer knowledge of MLS fans. Not all, but I would wager a lot, know of most of the teams in the minors - especially those with some brand history like the Strikers or Rowdies.

7. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

I'd take you up on that bet. Many don't know about the minor teams and their jerseys, especially the 20-somethings that make up a good percentage of the supporters sections.