Strike!!! Strike!!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by matador11, Aug 24, 2002.

1. matador11

matador11 Member

Jun 21, 2000
    South Florida
    Though I hate to rain on the "national pastime's" parade (emphasis on "past"), a baseball strike could not come at a more opportune time for MLS.

The average American fan is fed up with the high-priced millionaires, who are too good to sign autographs and show no allegiance to the towns they play in, complaining about their situation.

MLS could offer a viable alternative to such. Players who earn a moderate living (compared to other sports professionals) and are willing to be more involved in the community advancing their sport.

I for one cannot wait for August 30 to come...

2. DML99DML

DML99DML New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    lets just hope there actually is a strike. last i heard there was some optimism that a deal would be reached.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Over/under on when this thread gets moved/closed? Anyone?

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    if mlb strikes, then college football will get insane coverage, until mlb resumes, or the nfl, nhl and nba start...

6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past, MLS has had Wednesday games on the day after the MLB all-star game when there is NOTHING else going on in sports. Deadest day in the American sports calendar year. Sportscenter has never showed highlights on those days. Why do people think that if baseball strikes, while football season is starting up that 1. The average American will care and that 2. It will tremendously help MLS. Maybe if it happened in July or early August, but not now. Now, if the strike is still a strike next May, then yeah, it might. But, even then, it would only be a little bit.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't think MLB striking will hurt MLS because obviously, it won't. However, we're not going to average 20,000 the rest of this season and next solely because it does, either.

7. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    There's not going to be a strike, it's a ruse by the player's union so baseball can still keep it's freshness and have people pay attention to them.

They going to give in on the 29th. People know they not going to strike, it's a joke. Some times I think ESPN is in it too, because they needed more "news". While people on one show reports "strike news", people on other shows are taking about the MLB playoffs. If you look at everything done during the "negotiations", you will notice there are no major changes in how the league is.
    MLB does this every few years, because we all know after watching the double play more than five times on some highlight show, you'll realize there's nothing new or interesting about the double play!

8. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Don't expect too many new MLS fans. If they strike baseball fans will just go fishing, or work on their "honey do" list, or something else. They will bitch about it, but the minute the strike is over they will all slowly come grumbling back. Strike are just a part of baseball, all baseball fans accepts this. Hey who said they were smart.

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's going to be a baseball strike? Wow, that's great news for MLS. ;)

10. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Maybe if MLS stuck, we could get the same attention. ;)

11. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 posts it is....moved on 11....

12. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    The fans won't decide if MLS gets a boost from the strike. It will be the networks. And when youv'e only got a 15 min window for adverts they won't be too excited on the prospect on showing it. They probaly show more NCCA Football or loads of NASCAR as that is the sport desinged for advertising.

13. NACIONAL

NACIONAL New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    Medellin, Colombia
    keep dreaming... in the i can't see a boost in MLS attendances in the foreseable future.... even with a MLB strike

14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    It won't make a difference. It will only hurt things. Baseball, in it's current financial form, is failing, and that's too bad (I'm a fan of baseball too). However, even if MLB strikes and disbands, it won't help MLS. Sportscenter will be filled with Strike news and rumors, and let's not forget the upcoming NBA and NFL seasons. There is plenty of news to be had there. ESPN could do a 15 minute story on Shaq's ingrown toenail, or maybe a story about the Knicks budget problems, since nobody knew that they were over the Cap. If they have any space left, I'm sure they would devote it to the NFL preseason, letting John Madden talk at length about which offensive lineman showed up to camp with the biggest manboobs. Riveting news people. Riveting news. I just don't see how MLS can displace any of those crucial stories that are simply vital to the American way of life.

JMac

15. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    13. I was close.

16. Dennishz

Dennishz Member

Aug 8, 2002
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will not be a strike. End of discussion. Owners and players aren't that stupid to let the baseball shutdown on the with the upcoming sept 11th anniversary. Now if Sept. 11th hadn't happened then there probably would be a strike. A last second deal will be agreed upon. SO THERE WILL BE NO MLB STRIKE!

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, there's an image that will help me on my diet.

Actually, Pething, you nailed the over-under. I would've thought that, on a saturday, this thing would've made it to page two before a moderator caught it.

18. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    How is baseball related to cricket?

.........Tangential Alert.......................................

19. matador11

matador11 Member

Jun 21, 2000
    South Florida
    To clarify my initial point. I do not believe that MLS will see an improvement overnight or this year even in fan interest--especially with football and basketball starting.

But the real point is this:

MLS competes against baseball as a spring/summer sport. Anything that can dissuade the interest from a competitor is a benefit. I make no illusions that die-hard or even regular baseball fans will come to MLS all of the sudden. Rather, I'm talking about those casual fans---those fans who already had an interest in soccer (kids play the sport, for example) and are now looking to spend their sports $$$ elsewhere.

Let's be a little optimistic here...Baseball's loss could be soccer's gain...however slight...I'll take it.

P.S.--Even if no strike occurs, the mere talk of one has certainly pissed off enough people for the above to apply...albeit on a lesser scale.

20. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more out there than MLB

It's good for MLS when there is bad press for other sports - the family who usually goes to see the Rockies goes and see the Rapids, the Mets clam becomes a Metrostars clan for a weekend.

It's up to MLS to market that there is an option to MLB - and it's a great one!

21. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA

Oh really. Historically, work stoppages are 9 for 9. And talks have just regressed.

"Owners and players aren't that stupid.....?" C'mon now...

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    yall realize that a strike doesn;t matter cuz the NFL and College Football are back in town? Good bye Metros hello Giants. Good bye Chicago hello Bears and Big 10. Good by KC and Burn, hello cowboys, texans, sooner, Longhorns, and Corn huskers?

23. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, The only way a MLB strike helps MLS is if the strike lasts all winter and threatens the start of next season. If March/April 2003 rolls around and there is no baseball on the horizon then perhaps MLS can capitalize on disgruntled American baseball fans.

Even then there is still NBA and NHL until June so...

I don't see this strike doing anything but hurting both the players and the owners of MLB.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ax319

ax319 New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    Thats great what they are going to do in Minnisota, i think every MLS team in a MLB city should do something along those lines.