Streamlined / Expanded Event List

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Caesar, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Pretty simple thread. There are 39 disciplines currently, with a range of events in each. Which would you drop (if any) or add (if any)?

My choices for exclusion in bold, mainly based on whether the event is currently the pinnacle of the sport, and what sort of history it has in the Olympics. Probably wouldn't add anything.

Diving
    Swimming
    Synchronized swimming
    Water polo
    Canoe/kayak (flatwater)
    Canoe/kayak (slalom)
    BMX
    Mountain biking
    Road cycling
    Track cycling
    Gymnastics (Artistic)
    Gymnastics (Rhythmic)
    Gymnastics (Trampoline)
    Volleyball (beach)
    Volleyball (indoor)
    Equestrian (dressage)
    Equestrian (eventing)
    Equestrian (jumping)
    Wrestling (Freestyle)
    Wrestling (Greco-Roman)
    Archery
    Athletics (track and field)
    Badminton
    Basketball
    Boxing
    Fencing
    Field hockey
    Football
    Handball
    Judo
    Modern pentathlon
    Rowing
    Sailing
    Shooting
    Table tennis
    Taekwondo
    Tennis
    Triathlon
    Weightlifting

I really lean towards dropping a lot of the 'judged' sports as well (equestrian, synchronised swimming, gymnastics, even boxing) because they're not really my thing. But that's more personal bias than anything, most of them have a long history with the Olympics.

2. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Did you consider the idea of moving some events to the Winter Games.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Heh, I guess if you moved swimming to the Winter Games you might break a few records.

4. Dtown

Dtown Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree on Basketball, while the NBA Finals is bigger that's only at the club level. The Olympics, is the pinnacle for international basketball. Granted Basketball does have a World Championship, but the Olympic Tournament is a good 20 years older and has the more defined history.

And of course unlike Soccer, Baseball etc it can and does draw the biggest names in the sport to the competition.

Aside from that I agree (well not on Beach Volleyball either. I found it entertaining and competitive)

BMX and Mountain Biking are better treated and better served at the x-games.

With Tennis, every tournament is an international competition so a tournament, with less history, and less coverage than a major makes little sense.

Football: Better international tournaments, top names don't care, some nations don't even care to compete, drop it.

Trampoline/Rhythmic Gymnastics: One is silly, the other I don't consider a sport at all. While I don't personally don't care for regular Gymnastics it's history and memorable moments are undeniable. The other two don't have those traits to back it up.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was aiming more at some of the indoor sports. It would lighten the load on teh Summer Games while giving a potential media boost to the Winter Games.

The only one I can agree with on your list is the BMX event. The problem is that the governing body of cycling got their sport in by reducing the number of athletes that can compete in other cycling events. So, I would tell if your would be happy with Mountain Biking and Road Cycling getting more participants due to being established sports in the Olympics.

6. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I think that would dilute the Winter Games. They're smaller (and less "popular") but they have their own unique ambience and I'd hate to see that watered down.

I believe the idea of separating them from the Summer Olympiad cycle -- a move I was not in favor of at the time -- turned out to be a good idea and has helped remove them from the shadow of the Summer Games.