Streaks, or "What the Hell was Stoner Babbling About?"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Eric B, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else notice during the SJ-CDC broadcast that Rob Stone mentioned that The Quakes were on a 48-game home unbeaten streak? If that's what he said then his stats folks are on crack, considering that San Jose lost two home matches last year.

The Quakes did extend a streak with that draw, but it was their league-record for draws, with the Chivas USA match being their sixth consecutive regular-season tie, dating back to last season. They've also not won in 9 matches, which is three shy of the '99 MetroStars mark. Also, the Fire are winless in their last 15 road matches, which is only three shy of the league record.

Yes, I have a lot of free time, why do you ask? :)

2. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I heard him babbling during the game, and while I didn't bother to look up any actual numbers but knew when I heard it that it just couldn't be right.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking the same thing, considering that one of the home matches that San Ho lost was against the Burn, which featured a hard tackle by Simo Valakari on Landon Donovan and some post-game whining by Landycakes about said tackle. (This is, by the way, the point at which I knew that Landycakes was going to flame out in Deutschland. Hard tackles are a way of life in the Bundesliga.)

Anyway, since Valakari went on to score the winning goal on a long, slow, wounded duck of a shot that inexplicable caught Pat Onstad flatfooted, San Ho fans picked up on that as more evidence that the league is out to get the Quakes.

4. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no clue either. Maybe they are unbeaten when they score 2 or more goals at home. That's the only thing that i can think of.

5. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    If true, the sooner he came back to the US the better and all the talk that he needed to stick it out in the Bundesliga was pointless.

6. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    said they were unbeaten at home in the last 48 when they scored the first goal is what I believe he said.

7. Coach_Barry

Coach_Barry Member

Aug 18, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I remember, too.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't hear him say it, but I think it is true. If he did say that, it was irrelevant for the day, since the Quakes did not score the first goal.

9. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    BTW, Wynalda's email is at the bottom of his latest MLS article. I thought about emailing him about this, but I'll until they screw something else up.

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But then he said something about the draw extending the streak to 49 during second half stoppage time, so that might not have been it either.

Anyone got the tape? The 48-game streak was mentioned sometime in the first 15 minutes, and it did include a lower-third graphic.

11. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    maybe they have a 48-game unbeaten run when drawing with the opposition.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It must be against select opponents only.