Straus: MLS to expand playoffs again

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Howard the Drake, Nov 29, 2014.

1. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Conclusion:
    • Long Gap for the Cup Final: Insufficient for the Build-ups?
    • Long Gap for the Earlier Stages: Kill the Momentum?
    ;)

2. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I 100% agree with you on the feel of the last MLS Cup. It was very dead compared to the previous one LA was in.

3. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that doesn't exactly equate to "evidence." It's equally possible that the lack of buzz could have been due to L.A. being in their third final in four years.

Or the fact that it was LD's last match cast a pall over the proceedings.

Eric B repped this.
  4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It felt pretty electric to me. I've been to every MLS cup played in Los Angeles and I can't think of a moment of greater emotion , noise and relief as when Keane scored the winner last year.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The game itself was fine. Sometimes the decision makers get trapped inside the bubble - a bubble that I (as both a member of the media and as an MLS stringer) also live in.

The bubble was bland and empty. The build up in the couple days before the game was eerily mundane.

Historically, MLS Cup has been the focus point of all of the off the field stuff that happens behind the scenes with the league. Everyone had plenty of time to schedule and book in advance. A lot of ancillary events could also be orchestrated and set up.

The last two years, with the host unknown until 2 weekends (2013) and 1 weekend (2014) in advance, much of the ancillary stuff either disappeared or moved to the All-Star Game. The big difference is that in 2013, with the extra time, it appears that a larger percentage of the MLS 1%ers that make all the big events - made it to Kansas City.

And while that may not affect the majority of fans in stands or watching at home, I'm pretty sure the suits that make such decisions also noticed what I did. Whether or not they should do anything about it - well it's their money.

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you mean now. Totally understand your points.

AndyMead repped this.