Strategy for dealing with Iran

Discussion in 'International News' started by Iranianfootie, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yup. But it would have been interesting. But they played in 1967. :)

In any event, I would love it if it occured. :) Obviously Iran doesn't play Israel in Olympic events...which is a shame. Israel just needs to get better dammit. Maybe in 2014.

2. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Israel should be in your country. It's not the Palestinians fault that Hitler was a psychopath.

I think the regime is fully aware that destruction of Israel would also be the destruction of Palestine and therefore a silly idea.

Iran is not a threat to the US. The US is a MAJOR threat to Iran. Period.

Now at what point does Israel need to not be propped up by big brother? IMO, 60 years is long enough. The US and the rest of the west needs to re-examine their points of view on this whole situation. The fact is that there are disgusting humans on both sides but unfortunately the US can only see one side. For the health and safety of the world, this needs to change. Otherwise this racist policy path that we have taken for generations will lead to more wars and more death. Horray!

Screw you

It's not just the last 8 years of policy. It's the last 40. Obviously you haven't realized that...:rolleyes:

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    :rolleyes:Yeah, b/c Jews never lived where they live now.

And?

Since when does Iran or Arab nations care about Palestinians?

Now with that said, I don't think Iran would nuke Israel, but for entirely different reasons.

5. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    While I agree that it was NOT the Palestinian's "fault" that Hitler and his Nazi war criminals commited genocide against the Jews, there was a UN madated established by the British Balfour Declaration which started the Zionist movement. Now, without the Holocaust, the UN may not havce approved of the 1947 partition plan which the Jews accepted adn teh Arabs did not. Then, Israel declares independence and Arabs invade. It's important to recoganize the past to AVOID MISTAKES....Israel has won every war against the Arabs other than the 2006 war with Hezbllah.

That said, I do not think that Iran is a national security threat the way the US media characterizes Iran. But Iran, under the current regime, is a VERY SERIOUS INTEREST threat...IOW, as Iran gains strength, US influence reduces and vice versa.

I don't like war and I usually support Israel. I supported Israel during the Arafat years and I knew Arafat was up to no good...hence the infitida. But Operation Cast Lead, the Gaza invasion, changed my outlook a bit.

That said, Israel is ceratinly surrounded by enemies and given the long history of Jewish genocide/discrimiantion, it is understandable that they always feel they have an existenail threat...but they do not have an existential threat at this point in time becausse they have US support. But Iran has also been surrounded by enemies for a long time....doesn't mwan they need to invade every time.

1 person likes this.
  6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I wish more Iranian posters posted like you do.

7. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What do you mean? Most of my Iranian friends are usually anti-government/pro-US/Israel. They may be critical of some Israeli/US policies but overally they certainly aren't anti-US/anti-Israel. There were many posters that read No to Gaza, No to Lebanon, Yes to Iran during the protests. I don't know many Iranian posters here though. I have been lurking around this forum since the 2006 forum.

I do hope that Israel and Iran could play in the WC. They won't play in "miniaturee" events like the Olympics but there's no way the government will pressure the football federation to avoid playing Israel during a World Cup. Not because the govt likse Israel but htat would man the end of the regime very quickly and every thing the regime calculates is based on their political survival.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the same way

That is not accurate. There was a huge Red Crescent effort last year here in the UAE for Gaza help.

Like what?

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I realize your post was tongue in cheek comment, but still, it was silly. Nobody lived in that region the same way as they do now in any case.

I should have said the governments of those countries. I realize that many people might care about Palestinians and their cause, but you know as well as I do that for Iran and majority of Arab countries, Palestinians are there for 2 main reasons:

1. Pawns in their anti-Israel games to be used at will and
    2. To deviate attention from the internal problems that most of these countries face

1. Iran is not suicidal (although Hezbollah might be)
    2. Iranian people do not represent their government, so the anti-Israel stance is greatly exaggerated by the media.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I meant the Iranian posters on BS. You're new to these boards, but let me tell you, good majority of them are nothing like you.

Yes, I do wish sports would reunite the two countries. Time will tell.

11. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How?

Btw: Many Jews decided to live in today's Germany again despite the Holocaust. And that's impressive!

Who said that? It's also not the Israelis'/Jews' fault that many of their ancestors were once forced (by the Romans & Babylons) to leave their homeland...

Please tell me the reason (without bringing that "The US once imposed them the Shah and supported Saddam" argument, since it doesn't work this time).

It's not like the US (especially under Clinton) & EU (+ Russians & UNO) have never cared for the Palestine/Israel conflict. But how you mention, there's simply too much stubborness & "disgusting humans" on both sides (right-wing/settler lobby on Israeli side ... radical islamists/Hamas - who oppose any peace and get sponsored by the current Iranian regime - on Palestinian side).

I bet that Obama is truely interested in finally solving this conflict ... but the above-mentioned parties are doing everything to prevent him from succeeding.

And how shall this change happen? By allowing the current Iranian regime (which sponsors those who oppose a solution of the Middle East conflict and oppresses the own population) developing nuclear arms on the false pretences of being threatened by the Obama administration?

Somehow you sound pretty much like @ Iranian Monitor...

12. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh okay. They may be "hezbollahi" (which means regime supporters) who are trying to win the PR war and use international sites such as a soccer (world sport) sites to influence public opinion. I don't know.

I do agree with you that Israel is largely used by the Iranian regime to deflect attention from internal problems (inflation, unemployment, lack of innovation, etc)...and another reason is pitting what the regime sees as "oppressors" (Israel) vs. the "oppressed" (Palestinians). If it is framed that way, the Palestinians will be supported. I don't know how familiar you are with Shia Islam but the martyrdom of Hussein is a MAJOR deal (Ashura). His martyrdom is seen as a strrugle against tyranny and oppression. The problem is that, now, Iranians view that their government is the organization that is tyrannizing and oppressing people so anything they say about domestic and foregin affairs holds little influence. State-run TV did work prior to the protests....but I don't think they can influence public opinion much anymore.

I guess the Iranian Monitor i ssomething. I look forwward to talking ot him. :)

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Oh he is something, all right.

14. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think Iran's role in sponsoring Hamas is exaggerated. Yes, they do provide funding/weapons to the group but it's not their priority. IOW, if Iran quit funding Hamas, Hamas probably wouldn't change that much. They will just get greater from Palestinians/Saudis/etc. THey use Hamas a bridge to eliminate the Sunni/Shia divide so they can speak for "all Muslims" rather than just Shia ones. The main terrorist/guerilla organization they support is Hezbollah...IOW, if they quite funding Hezbollah, Hezbollah's existence would be threatened. I can't say that about the other groups....or if even much of a change would happen. That said, I agree with you that Iran getting nukes (at this point in time) would mean the end of a possiblity between peace between Israel and Palestinians. However, I think a problem that occured started in the 1990s when Clinton prioritized the Oslo process. In the eyes of Iranians, the US was prioritizing this process not to develop peace between Israel and the Palestinians BUT to isolate Iran. As a result, Iran has viewed the peace process in those terms. So, if Iran supported hte peace process, that would mean they would be isolated...which is against a country's interest. IMO, in order for effective peace to ensue, ALL parties in the ME must cooperate...both the GCC, Iran and the Israelis/Palestinians. But contrary to conventional thinking, I do not think that isolating Iran furthers the peace process as Iran has more incentivces to oppose it. Just my opinion.

15. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hehe. I heard he left though.

16. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    So it seems.

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think that the current US administration & EU are interested in isolating such a big country (with a great history) like Iran. I also can't see why Bill Clinton should have been interested in that (how you believe).

Your country's problem is that the current regime is doing everything to get isolated!

Iran's "propaganda minister" is still lurking around here (just noticed it by chance a few days ago). He only stopped posting since the post-election riots for unknown reasons...

18. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't worry. I am here. I can fill his shoes!! :)

Anyway, I've never been to Israel. But what is it like to live there? I'm assuming it's not the safest place to be.

19. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Huh? Bill Clinton pursued a policy of "dual containment" (Iraq and Iran). He didn't start it...it was actually started under Reagan...hence the US supporting both sides in the bloodiest conflict in ME history. But I think dual containment was a wise policy. Except it fell apart with the 2003 invasion...and actually started to fall apart after 1991 but not noticeably since with a weakened Iraq after 1991, Iran cut down a lot too.

Yup...the regime is definitely doing everything right now to get isolated. Regardless, it's not as isolated as say NK. It still does heavy business in Eruoope/China/Russia. Perhaps that is what Khamanei wants. I don't know. I don't have an answer ot that.

Iran's propaganad minister..is that Iranian monitor?

But anyway, what do you think the strategic objective behind the Israeli-Palestinain peace process is? It is: 1) stop the fighting 2) isolate the backers of the Palestinian terrorist groups (in this case Iran and Syria). But it looks like Israel is trying to court Syria as well...for what purpose? To isolate Iran more.

20. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    AS a superpower the US will always try to suppress the growth of regional hegemons. Iran is the obvious South Central Asian nominee for the role. When India gains momentum I predict there will be factions in the US citing the 'Indian threat'.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't do that. That's where our developers live.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I've never lived there, but I can assure you (from having many friends and relatives there), it's pretty safe. Of course during the intifada it was worse, but if you talk to people there, they will safer than some folks who I know live in California.

23. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, the Americans have to live with a certain justified suspicion from other parts of the world (not just from dictatorships) concerning the question whether the CIA & Bush administration did everything to avoid 9/11 ... but if the fool Ahmadinejad had some brain he knew that the so-called 'Neo-Cons' in Washington were a lot more interested in invading Iraq than Afghanistan! And he should be also grateful that G.W. Bush got "forced" to invade Afghanistan (if not, he'd have been confronted with a massive credibility problem) ... so he couldn't concentrate on attacking Iran. :))

24. Iranianfootie

Iranianfootie Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh okay. Thanks. Yea.

25. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who deleted the posting resp. article I commented last night ... so my answer looks out of context now? :eek:

Censorship allez...