Storm @ milwaukee wave (R)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chicago storm win 8-7 in OT on a goal by former fire player Ryan Futagaki.

2. A real edge of your seat game. The Storm erased two 2 goal deficits and fell behind for the final time with 44 seconds to go. Carrieri tied the match on a highlight reel overhead volley to the far post with 10 seconds left. The winning goal was the only time the Storm led.

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kick ass game. Last second equalizer by Carrieri to send the game to OT.

And let me be first to conragtulate Kenn on a superb performance rockin' on the mic. Sucka MCs beware.

Only sad thing is my tape ran out before Samuari's goal. Anyone got a game tape? If so, please PM me and I'll be happy to send you a blank tape onto which to copy or make another arrangement.

4. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction-- Storm won 9-8.Great game by Chicago I think they are learning the indoor game fast.

5. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMCAST HAS A GREAT GAME ON TAPE! I would'nt mind seeing the highlights tomorrow on the news. Who would'nt?

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a spectacular finish. Carrieri's goal caught me with mouth agape, and Futagaki's game-winner got me jumping off my seat.

7. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  8. ETSC

ETSC Member

Jul 5, 2004
    I'm not a big big fan of the indoor game but the PbP guy did a good job keeping my interest.

So let's start the Tomasch for Cubs PbP bandwagon. :D

9. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Although we gotta give him some stick for "stay in your seats, even if you're only using the edge!" comment at the beginning of overtime.

Later,
    COZ

10. FireFanKeith

FireFanKeith Member

Mar 6, 2000
    chicago,il usa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game reminded of how much I actually miss the indoor game. I was having flashbacks of Granitza, Pato, and the gang. Brilliant goal by Carrieri! Can't wait for the next trip up to Milwaukee, it was fun back in the day making the trip up there to see the Power. Go Storm!!!

11. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When is their next home game?

12. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wed., Nov 3 at 7:00pm.

If you can't make that one, the home game after that is Nov 28 at 6:05pm.

http://www.chicagostorm.net/

13. IJS

IJS Member

Mar 28, 2000
    Naperville
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Home game that weekend is on the 26th not 28th, on the 28th Storm are in St Louis

14. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Another shot of Danny Waltman, Chicago Storm keeper, last summer in Seattle.

[​IMG]

15. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    I disagree. While Chicago had some highlight reel plays last night (Chris's goal at the end of regulation, and a goal he assisted on earlier in the game strike out at me in particular), they spent the first 10 minutes of the game chasing the Wave players around as the Wave played keep-away at will. Every time you thought Chicago might touch the ball, the Wave simply used the wall or another player in a pick play to keep possession. Chicago also had THREE illegal substitution penalties, and scored at least 2 of their goals thanks in part to poor Milwaukee goalkeeping.

Milwaukee was the better team, when they wanted to be, but that was the problem-- the Wave got up early and definately took their foot off the gas pedal and never could turn it back on. The Wave's offense is very heavy on "post up" forwards checking back and receiving the ball while shielding a defender, and when they were executing last night, the Storm couldn't do a thing about it. The Wave seemed to get away from this though, and slowed down too much in the half-court offensive sets.

Don't get me wrong-- the Storm deserved to win. But they definately have a lot to learn based on what I saw last night.

Last night was my first MISL game experience, and was interesting to say the least. The game got VERY intense in the third, and the last minute of regulation was as good as it gets.

After the game the Wave sponsored a concert by a local band, all fans were invited down on the field to watch/listen. They also set up a merchandise stand right in the middle of the field and had some Wave players signing autographs, which was a highlight for the 3 young girls that my girlfriend and I took to the game. They even had the Wave mascot out there signing autographs.

By the way, tickets in Milwaukee start at $ 12, go as high as $ 20, hot dogs are $ 2.50, brats $ 3.50, nachos were $ 3.75, and tap beer was $ 4.50. Beer vendors are out and about with plastic Miller bottles, or so I noticed (my girlfriend and I were not beer consumers last night due to our guests), but I don't know what they were charging for the 16oz bottles.

Other prices that may be interesting to compare to Chicago-- Wave t-shirts were $ 10 for short sleeve, $ 15 for long sleeve, wave hooded sweatshirts were $ 31, replica jerseys were $ 39, mini soccer balls were $ 5, regular sized replica balls were $ 15, and parking for the game could be found for as little as $ 3 (in a garage that is 2 blocks (5 minutes) from the arena).

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Kenn-- we were up next to you last night. We sat in the section immediately to your left as you were looking at the field. I was going to say hi after the game, but the girls we took to the game wanted to get down to the field, so maybe next time.

17. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    [​IMG]

Photos/Darren Hauck

Above: Greg Howes (left) of the Milwaukee Wave and Jorge Valle of the Chicago Storm get tangled up while pursuing a loose ball. Below: Milwaukee's Kevin Burk (right) holds off Chicago's Costea Decu on Friday at the U.S. Cellular Arena.

[​IMG]

18. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I meant 26, not 28.

[homer]Grrrr. Stoo-pid fingers.[/homer]

Anyway, I'm assuming nobody taped the game from Comcast Sports Net. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be rebroadcasting it which is a shame because it was ten times more entertaining than anything the Bulls are likely to churn out this year.

19. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    Great game looking forward to Wednesday. Yeah great job on the mike Kenn. We had a small drinking game going and had a swif og bud every timer you used a clique. It was great!!! What a buzzzz!. :)

20. Random Mayhem

Random Mayhem New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Chicago
    I stumbled across this game on the tube the other night, and although I don't normally enjoy the indoor game this was entertaining.

I plan on trying to make it to some of these games and pay attention to the Storm.

For those that went to the home opener, do they drown the arean with music the entire game? I've only been to one indoor game in my life and left sickened after here the crap over the PA all night.

21. murtaugh29

murtaugh29 New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    roja LOCURA
    actually, no, not during the run of play. they do a decent job with it.

it'd be good to see you out, troy. (this is troy, right?)

22. Random Mayhem

Random Mayhem New Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Chicago
    Tis' I.

I'm gonna try to make it to the game on Wed, but midweek might be a little tough. Definitely heading there for the game after Thanksgiving.

As much as I think Chris Carrieri is a punk, i kind of like his attitude. Dude was a number 1 pick, talk about a fall from grace.

23. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Karlo,Pato, and Arno. Those were the days..... The Storm has nothing on the Sting but they are worth watching.

24. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    I went to the opener and did not expect much (I prefer the outdoor game/Fire). Fairly entertaining and worth watching. Yes they still play loud, crappy music but not as bad as may remember. If you can withstand the noise they blast into Soldier Field during the Fire games, you've got a chance.