Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is an interesting conundrum for me. Would you take one more season of Wenger if we won the Europa League?

I think right now I'd say yes but I'm not certain.

2. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Having said that, and for the sake of argument assuming that these rumors are real, it is indicative of how fcuked up those with decision-making power in this club really are. Whether Wenger wins the EL should really have no impact on whether Wenger stays. Its blindingly obvious that Wenger is not the man for the job regardless, and it proves that management want to cower behind using a potential EL win as a talking point for why they didn't make the difficult but right choice of sacking the man who's responsible for the unmooring of the club.

Fifty, AEAAFC96, wanye_stirrear and 5 others repped this.
  3. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, for me, no way. Not that that’s a surprise to anyone here, however.

I want the man gone post haste. Europa win would be nice but would just being delaying the inevitable and prolonging the real attempts at rebuilding. Just my opinion, though.

4. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say yes but only he has one more season - again not easy even with that condition

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well then you know very well about the difference in ticket prices. Especially with safe standing.

What also needs to be said that in the 70ies and 80ies English fan culture was the role model for German football fans like little Jürgen growing up in Swabia.

Ive been to Italy a few times and theyre better as well and their stadiums are mostly ruins

6. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wenger has to go. Its as simple as that. He is tactically very far behind other managers at the moment, our younger players don't seem to be developing, we are now being bullied by smaller teams, we haven't contended for the league in a long time, and the cups are masking club failures.

The absolute WORST decision would be to give Wenger another year based on EL performances. This should be his send off. Give him the European success missing from his list of achievements and let him go off into the sunset because what we have in the league this season is what we will get any year he is in charge.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is 100% right.

We may finish below Burnley this season. Wenger is not the right man for the job. A trophy should not cloud that damn near unobjectionable statement.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yup.

yeah, I started to mention that, but when you start getting into the reasons for the changes, you have to come around to the pathologies of 70/80s English footy culture, as well - which can become a pretty hairy conversation pretty quickly.

all I will say is that Germany has had a much more balanced and effective approach to dealing with the twin threats of A) those potential pathologies and B) the grotesque over-monetization of the game than either gentrified England or Italy, with their passionate tifosi, yet crumbling and otherwise empty stadiums.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I did notice in England how old the supporters tended to be when i lived there

10. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I’m telling you, Wenger’s incompetence is masking the incompetence of those above
    him.

DutchCane repped this.
  11. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I'm not buying anything of rumors until I see Wenger leave himself.

Still of the opinion that he'll take the France MNT's job but craft his departure as Arsenal terminated his contract so he can join the national side.

cantona94 repped this.
  12. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The problem is, we appear to be a more ethical club than the others, and we really should have given Wenger a one year contract because I honestly can't see those idiots at the top firing him.

14. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Empty seats = fired manager. Unless something changes between now and end of season, my money is on him gone.

15. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Ethical? Now this is certainly the type of "hot takes" I came back for.

Fifty and Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Compared to the likes of United, Chelsea, and Man City? Sure. United own the PGMOL, Man City now have Guardiola's doping operation, and Chelsea are Chelsea.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For lack of a better place to put this...

Totally Football is perhaps my favorite footy podcast these days, not least because of Jimbo's razor sharp puns in his opening headlines and beyond. Still not sure what went down which caused his demise at the Guardian.

Anyway, at the end of yesterday's show they were throwing out some "interesting" stats...

1) The league has been won for the last 5 years by BLUE teams... the longest spell of NON-RED titles since '58-'63.

2) Arsenal's failure to take any points away in 2018 puts them in rare air indeed. The nearest club in England with the same poor away form is Tamworth who sit 20th in National League North, so that's about 115 places below us.

3) Arsenal have lost 5 away games on the trot, the first time that's happened since 1984.

Time for a change indeed.

18. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    986511405322031104 is not a valid tweet id

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Been some really good chances on the break though (and how do you define counter?).

Alexis's goal v. Tottenham comes to mind as something like a counterattack goal. We did score a couple of goals on the counter in the Europa League, so I'm going to chalk this up as a fluke.

20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Compared to city vs spurs arsenal move the ball very slowly

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On average, yes. But we've seen some pretty quick counters too.

I'm not saying that Arsenal are great on the counter. I'm the data being shown is deceptive: we aren't the worst counterattacking side in the league (not even close).
    Worst defense on the counter? That I'd like to see data for.

22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wenger's misfortune is not his coaching itself but that like 3 coaches from the continent came over ousting him and his team out of the top 4 of coaching. What was good enough for top 4 when SAF and Mourinho coached in the league and the rest was shit isnt enough anymore with Klopp, Pochettino and Pep.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Partially true. The other part is that Wenger has far too much on his plate, with transfers, the academy, etc. After David Dein left, the only times that Wenger's had to rebuild either a defense or a midfield were in 2011 and 2016-now.

It worked out in 2011 because Arteta and Mertesacker were experienced professionals who understood the game. That's not the case with Mustafi/Xhaka, and it's a real problem: Wenger either doesn't spend enough time coaching, or has completely lost it.

24. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Weird choice of words but hear me out. We don't cull players, we don't cull managers. While I appreciate when teams can be ruthless, look at Real. Everyone respects them for what they have won, no one respects them for how they toss away managers and players even when they are successful. They have bred a really really weird culture. You can win the league and still get replaced.

That said, I think our culture has now swung too far the other way. I think Arsenal board and fans would give the next manager the chance to come in, build their squad, build their style and then we let them aim for trophies. But the current squad and manager have been given too much time. And at the end of the day our markers for success are the league and CL. So winning the EL or FA cup just isn't good enough.

25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    serious question. let's say Wenger goes and his replacement comes 6th or lower and wins nothing. do you think he'd be given a (further) chance? or would the knives be out?

casoccerdad47 repped this.