Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 ArsenalJake, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    The players you're listing are on par with the international players and team captains that have represented the Arsenal. To suggest that the quality of players at AFC are not on par with those at Juventus is laughable.

Ramsey, Cech, Koscielny, Bellerin, RvP, Xhaka, Giroud, Wilshere, Cesc, Walcott, Mustafi, Chamberlain, Ozil, Wellbeck . . .

I'd put my list of international players against yours who've played for Juventus any day . . .

2. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you want to change the club's culture, Wenger cannot stay on in any capacity.

4. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Why, what's the upside to this? Why do we think Wenger is going to be successful in a collaborative relationship with a new manager when he's resisted any kind of collaboration for 20 years? I don't see as how this is likely to produce a good division of labor.

It might be good to have a director of football, but I don't think Wenger is it.

NorthBank and Fifty repped this.
  5. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    I think that's true, but there's an issue of how many of those are committed to the club and how many of those have good roles at Arsenal. I fear we might have to take a step back to go forward. My thought is we may be better off to keep Alexis here for the last year of his contract whether he wants to go or not. I think we might need a band-aid, like RVP was for us for a couple of years.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Juventus players are much better imo

Their defence is elite and marchisio is one of the best midfielders in the world

The only players with a sniff are sanchez and ozil

Dybala is not far of Sanchez either

7. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    So Wenger said he's going to be coaching somewhere next season.

I hoped he'd stay on as sporting director, but I imagine he can make 10m per year in almost any league and that will be difficult to turn down.

8. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He needs to gtfo, and come back to take pictures with his bust or statue 3-5 years from now.

Fifty repped this.
  9. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm watching an undersea cam livestreaming from the bottom of the Pacific. I don't know if I'd choose to watch an Arsenal match over this right now.

bigredfutbol, Fifty and DutchCane repped this.
  10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why are you watching spongebob?

bigredfutbol, daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  11. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    whats the link?

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    upside: you aren't simply kicking one of the legendary managers of your club out on his ass, you offered him an alternative and he didn't like it (as you expected) so he left. the onus is not on you.

also upside: wenger is not utterly shit at spotting talent as he will remind you (and everyone) every time c.ronaldo's or ibrahimovic's or hazard's names come up.

13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i can't stand the show but the theme song's great. :D

mebeSajid and Fifty repped this.
  14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    out of curiosity, is bould a viable successor if wenger is gone? or do we need someone with managerial experience?

15. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Allegri as successor
    And I would not mind Favre

16. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Really, where's the upside? Sarcasm aside, I think we just have to get over taking responsibility for Wenger's career trajectory. Unsuccessful managers get sacked, Wenger is an unsuccessful manager. We just can't afford to think too much deeper than that.

I would have been in favor of this more or less any time 5-10 years ago. In fact, IIRC I was. I just don't think we can go that direction now.

That's true, but this just complicates things even more as I see it. Allegri, Tuchel or other usual suspects, are they inclined to jump ship to Arsenal to have Wenger looking down on them. Who's going to have control over the transfer budget? I'd like to find a way to leverage some of Wenger's transfer expertise but I just don't see a way to do it.

17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Who was the last player Wenger "found"? That age is long past.

18. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Kosceilny.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    He cost ten mil, but fair enough, that's close.

20. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the best thing is to find a manager with zero ties to the club and allow him to pick his staff from top to bottom. This club needs to hit the reset button.

Fifty, daedalus and bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm about ready to start following another club.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

And we need to be ready to accept that there will be disruption, and the streak of Top-4 finishes very well could come to an end.

Which means that ownership need to be ready.

24. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    GK: Buffon vs. Czech
    CB: Bonucci, Barzagli, Chiellini, Benatia, Rugani vs Kos, Mustafi, Mertersacker, Gabriel, Holding
    RB/LB: Sandro, Alves, Lichsteiner, Asamoah vs Bellerin, Monreal, Gibbs, Jenkinson
    CM: Marchisio, Pjanic, Khedira, Rincon, Sturaro, Lemina vs Ozil, Ramsey, Xhaka, Cazorla, Coquelin, Elneny, Ox
    Attackers: Higuaín, Dybala, Mandzukic, Cuadrado, Pjaca vs Alexis, Giroud, Walcott, Welbeck, Iwobi, Perez

It's not just the disparity in quality, it's Arsenal's lack of experienced world class depth. More importantly than all this, the biggest disparity in both clubs is mentality. Arsenal went down to Bayern and have done so in other big matches this season with no fight. Their organization off the ball was shockingly poor. Which players at Arsenal are the leaders? Who are the collection of experienced winners on this squad that hold the others accountable? Ozil is immensely talented, but he isn't a leader. Sanchez was off to Italy for a break after a humiliating loss. Czech was on the bench. Cazorla was never that type and isn't healthy. Giroud? Bellerin? Monreal? At the end of the game when Gibbs is wearing the arm band, you know that there is a crisis of leadership, experience, and quality at the club.

This is all made worse when potentially great talents like Bellerin and Xhaka have no truly top class players aside from Ozil (on his day), Sanchez, and Kos to learn from. It may be why so few young players have developed into world class ones at Arsenal for quite some time.

Fifty, Silva 5 and thebigman repped this.
  25. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think that's a dangerous thing to do. No doubt, I think we do need a bit of an overhaul, but it should be done systematically, rather than in one go. And we should never give the same power we've given to Wenger, to another manager.

What if the manager doesn't work out? If he leaves, does that mean we need to replace the dozen staff member he brought with him as well?

If we're going to becoming a more self-sustaining club, we need more football men at the board level. I think it's better to bring in the likes of Overmars, Bergkamp, Henry, Vieira, Adams, etc. Ask them to help out together an Arsenal institution. Have them slowly create a staffing team that is good enough, and understand our values.

What a new manager, not just this next one, but future ones, should be allowed to do is choose his own assistant, and maybe 1-2 more extra help. The rest though should be signed and maintained by a group of ex-Arsenal players who understand our core values, and have our long-term health in their interest.

Silva 5 repped this.