Stop Dragan this Out: The Wenger Succession Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by elessar78, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's not THAT big of an issue, because we already have people doing a lot of the work: we have a stats/scouting operation, we do have a decent youth setup (albeit one with problems developing players from 16-22). We will need to bring in new decision makers, yes. But these problems are fixable: just a question of hiring the right people for leadership roles. Which is both doable and a problem that every organization has.

The gap could be bridged by having Wenger be the sporting director/director of football and bringing in someone who was responsible for coaching the first team, but Wenger doesn't want that role, and given how much of a control freak Wenger is, that probably wouldn't end well.

daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  3. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    This is what I'm hoping for. Hopefully we can win the FA Cup to send him out on a high note, Wenger can transition upstairs and we get a new coach.

DutchCane repped this.
  4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger needs to move the Fcuk on from Arsenal. I want no part of Arsene Wenger being involved at the club once he's done as manager. It needs to be a clean break. How could any new manager succeed with Wenger looming in the background??

song219, footykid, Fifty and 3 others repped this.
  5. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DutchCane repped this.
  6. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Top 5:

1. Jardim
    2. Allegri
    3. Tuchel
    4. Hasenhuttl
    5. Schmidt

7. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Feel bad for the guy. But he just doesn't know when to quit. He doesn't do it for the money anymore, he does it for the love of Arsenal and for the game. Someone on the board who cares for the man and not the finances so much needs to have an earnest talk with him to tell him it's not good for him and his health anymore.

AEAAFC96 and DutchCane repped this.
  8. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The cleanest break from Wenger, not just physically, but culturally, would be Diego Simeone. Opposite of Wenger in almost every aspect.

DutchCane repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal would be a step down for him at this point, and he doesn't speak English.

I like Allegri (record at Juve is unbelievable). Hasenhuttl is intriguing. Not sure I'd want the helter skelter that Schmidt or Tuchel bring (also applies to Hasenhuttl, but record makes him interesting) at a club with the injury issues that Arsenal have.

DutchCane and thebigman repped this.
  10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it's more of the "What now?" that some people have when thinking about retirement. I've been having this conversation with my dad, who's a couple of years younger, for a while now so that may color my thinking.

DutchCane repped this.
  11. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    The guy lives and breathes his job. And he's made Arsenal super, super wealthy.

Fans can bitch and moan all they want but I'm sure the board would let him keep the job for life if he kept getting top 4, champs league knockout rounds and a few rounds into the FA Cup.

Therefore, there's no momentum to get him out.

Worse, once he does go, we could end up like Liverpool or United, spend 400m pounds, go through three managers in three years and STILL not have the level of success we have now.

Silva 5 and DutchCane repped this.
  12. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    The problem isn't Wenger....it's the very average quality of Arsenal's players.

How many of Arsenal's players yesterday would have started (or heck, even made the 18) for Bayern Munich? Two? Three? Certainly not too many.

The reason Arsenal has struggled the last few years is that they have had inferior talent. They were great when they had great players (i.e. Bergkamp, Vieira, Henry, etc.). But the last 5-10 years, they haven't had any great players, so they haven't achieved as much on the pitch.

That's Wenger's fault only to the extent to which he influences transfer policy, but it's not his fault as a manager.

DutchCane repped this.
  13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    with all due respect, no.

I will accept some of our players are average, but no. Wenger doesnt do the details with tactical preparation and that matters in today's football.

Fifty, daedalus, AEAAFC96 and 2 others repped this.
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He selects thebplayers and buys them

He puts them in thevteam

He injures them with his training 'methods'

He gets outcoached by most top managers

He is done and the players he bought are not good enough

Fifty, daedalus, DaPrince84 and 2 others repped this.
  15. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jardim and Allegri are both intriguing with their tactical know-how. A departure from Wenger.
    I doubt Simeone will leave before they open Atletico's new stadium; so, no go there.
    I wouldn't touch Luis Enrique with a ten-foot pole at this point. I just read about Barca maybe going after Koeman, which I sort of saw coming.
    Howe? I was pondering this on the way to work today. On the one hand, getting him now would be prudent because if Arsenal were to wait until he goes to a bigger club and succeeds there he'll also be on the radar of other clubs as well. OTOH, it maybe too risky to hand someone like him the keys to a club like Arsenal and hope he succeeds within 2-3 seasons.
    Tuchel's having a hard time at Dortmund nowadays, maybe due to Klopp wearing most of those players out?

thebigman repped this.
  16. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel the same way; I'm grateful for what Wenger's done for the club and taken it to a level we've never thought it could go...but it's time.

Something interesting that Ian Wright mentioned on his interview: When Wenger arrived he had the likes of Tony Adams around to hold teammates accountable. Even when he left you still had Viera to assume that role; after Viera left no one that he's signed has stepped up to that role, whether by happenstance or it was planned.

You need the type of person that will lead by example and hold teammates accountable.

17. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    add Sarri as well.

18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    832229276204285953 is not a valid tweet id

19. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger.jpg

Arsene Wenger is preparing to leave Arsenal at the end of the season — and make a clean break from the club.

Mirror Sport understands senior figures at the Gunners are increasingly convinced that manager Wenger is ready to bring down the curtain on his 20-year reign.

They have already made discreet enquiries about potential replacements and unless Wenger has a remarkable change of heart he will walk away when his £8million-a-year contract expires this summer.

And the 67-year-old would be out of the picture completely, with the possibility of him moving upstairs already ruled out.

20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Wenger took an objective look at thestate of the club, he would himself as manager and move upstairs. He still does a lot of things well but has consistently failed in preparing and motivating the team. He's held on to that job because he likes walking the pitch in training, and held hopes of going out with a taste of European glory on the pitch. That dream is dead and he should resign himself to the thought of celebrating the team's success from the Director's box.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shoulda read the MD thread. There was at least one post calling for Bayern to score more than 5 on us.

I went skiing today with my kids which was nice because it took my mind off that collapse. But what caused it you ask? So many people were pointing to Koz's departure. But for me that's a tad too simplistic. Yes Koz is our best defender, and Gabriel is miles behind him on several fronts, but surely we aren't defensively so dependent on just 1 guy to keep everything working.

22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I actually don't think the squad is that bad quality-wise. It's definitely the deepest it's been since we won a title. It's just constantly mis-managed, in rotation, tactics, and motivation. I wouldn't mind having Wenger as a technical director. I think he does a decent job of pinpointing talent, just not a very good job of fully developing it or using it to win matches.

gunner0007 repped this.
  23. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I owned the club I would give him the chance to stay on as sporting director and pick his successor. I'd give him a three year deal, in case his first choice doesn't work out. I think it's better to maintain continuity, and I suspect some creative tension between the manager and the money men is what the club needs. I'd love to see him bring in a young manager to push him to strengthen the squad, but still have some control so it doesn't become a merry go round of players.

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  24. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with your first point, that the squad this year is fairly deep, lack of rotation, tactics, etc. I disagree that making Wenger the technical director does Arsenal any good.

Wenger "does a decent job of pinpointing talent?" He does a decent job of keeping us in the top 4 too. So F'ing what?

If 'decent' is the standard, there's no reason for a change at all. We haven't fallen below decent in 21 years.

25. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Allegri is a great manager in the mold of Ancelotti. Both know how to manage world class players on very talented sides. Arsenal need a manager that can completely rebuild the squad. Allegri has players like Bonucci, Chiellini, Barzagli, Sandro, Alves/Lichtsteiner, Marchisio, Khedira, Pjanic, Dybala, Mandzukic, Cuadrado, Higuain at Juve. In his first year he had Teves, Vidal, Pirlo, and Pogba etc.

He deserves credit for his impressive winning percentage, but he also has a wealth of experienced top players to work with. So I'm not sure how he would translate to Arsenal whose starting 11 and depth are being found out to be massively overrated. The squad has too many average players while possessing a alarming shortage of top ones.