Stony Brook vs. St. Francis (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by copaantl98, Sep 10, 2003.

1. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    1-0 win for Stony Brook. It was their home opener. I only caught the second half because of classes. Attendance says 171 but there were clearly twice as much. The atmospere was quite electric surprisngly. Stony Brook needs more discipline. They cleared the ball many times when they didn't have to once they had the lead. No possession at all. This game was quite physical.

2. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Thanks for the report. Was this played in the football stadium?

3. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    No problem at all. I'll try to attend as many games as possible. Yeah it was. Most of the men's and women's game will be played in the stadium. Even though the men's team look more sluggish on the stadium turf, they've won the majority of their games in the stadium dating back to last season.

4. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cool,

I just looked in this forum as a lark and look what i find.

Its a shame USb has not built on that great year they had 3? years ago. they had a ton of freshmen, and they did so well, but it seems as though they have back tracked since. and they have the same players. maybe they all peaked to early. Either that or Shirly has told them they have to suck so football gets more attention.

as far as attendance. the reason it looked so low, and this is merely conjecture is that alot of people are always getting in un counted.

back at the old field most of the mens and womens rugby team would watch the games because they were going on just at the end of practice. we also used to party with them. but the fact that so many people are always hanging around the sports complex area at that time means there are alot of "insiders" who never go through the front door. I know I never did. not sure how the new stadium changes this. I have not attended for 4 years now, but certainly the old field would be pretty full with 30-40 rugby players
    and also the tennis players would hang around. 4 years ago the athelete community was pretty tight and we would go to each others games. it was pretty cool.

I was in the stadium only for last years home coming game and i gotta say 4500 people freezing our buts off had a hell of a lot of atmospgere in there. it was loud at times and I actually felt a bit of school spirit. the only other time that happened was at the Roth pond regatta, but that had more to do with the rum and cokes than anything else.
    It would be cool to see the place full and energised. it holds what? 7k

5. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    The stadium holds 8,000. I get the feeling Shirley's telling the soccer players to suck so football can get attention as well. Hehe. I went to the inaugural football game at the stadium last year when it was sold out. But the atmosphere was just dead for me.

6. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    The majority of the other athletes I see attending soccer games are lacrosse athletes. Stony Brook's next game is Saturday against the Riders. Also if anyone is interested in pickup games, there's usually one or several going on next to the stadium in the fields on Fridays. A majority of the time it's around 5 or 5:30PM at least for now before the weather gets cold.. No guarantees though. There might be a Friday with no one playing. But if anyone's going to stop by on any Friday, look for the games.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Is Stony Brook's goalie back from his suspension yet?

8. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I thought he would be back against Rider, but he wasn't playing.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    The school gave him an extra suspension, didn't they? I wasn't on Mason's team then so can you tell me what exactly happened?

10. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    They never gave any additional info about Dan Ferrin getting ejected and his suspension. All it said was that he was fighting in the 62nd minute against George Mason. They didn't say anything about the school suspending him extra. So I'm not so sure.

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Well, there's a letter from his coach hanging in our locker room saying they suspended him for an extra game, if that helps.

:)

12. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    how's the Asian American Center? I left when it opened.

13. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    What did Dan's "fighting" consist of?

14. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    When it first opened, I was told that the place was luxurious with fountains. Then I heard that they closed it again, to remodel again. Never been in there before.

15. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    I want to know the same.

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'll try to ask some of my teammates tomorrow or the next time we have practice.

17. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    No offense, but weren't you at the game?

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    No, I was added to the team this last week as a walk on.

19. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Ah.

Congratulations man. Keep up the hard work.

20. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Congrats from me as well.

21. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is coach Dean still there?? he was on my intrumural team back in the day. we were so bad. I mean what kind of team gets the men and monans soccer coaches and some of their assistants to play on their intrumural team. I sure they didnt play up to their ability, but we had one bad ass team.

is the construction near the SAC done?

how about humanities? is that even started yet?

there was so much change while I was there, and there was so much more starting, I got the feeling that some day I would actually be proud to have gone there

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Thanks guys.

23. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Right now I see no construction near the SAC. The majority of the Humanities seem almsot done but it looks like they still have a while to go. The coach is still Dean.