Stoner is an idiot! [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by The Perfesser, Oct 19, 2003.

1. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoner is an idiot!

How clueless can this guy get?

When calling the DCU - Crew match, he's completely oblivious that there's extra time.

More seriously, when Stoichkov earned the dubious PK in the first half, he said "where's the sniper?" This in a city that was in terror just a year ago from two actual snipers.

Hey, Stoner, you might want to think before you speak.

2. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Stoner is an idiot!

The only one more clueless today was the Ref. Both PK calls were bogus and 6 minutes of extra time was outragious and let DCU tie the score. This was one of the worst Refed games of the year and that's saying a lot for MLS Refs

George

3. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like him gonig crazy about how DC United clinched the playoffs at the end of regulation.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was the PK at the end of regulation a bad call? Attacker wins ball, goalie smashes into him while the ball is in play in the box, that is by definition a PK.

5. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After getting FSW a few weeks back, I've come to realize how absolutely terrible the MLS commentators are. They should just shut up.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I like Stoner okay -- I don't care that he got carried away and made a mistake.

7. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    I must admit, for some reason, i completely forgot about OT also. I thought we were done.

And that sniper comment after Stoitchkov went down, that's the kind of *#*#*#*# that gets you fired. that was completely inappropriate.

8. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    In the middle of the game, they were talking about Rookie of the year award.

Eric and Stone both say Damani Ralph should win.

Ty: "What about Kyle Martino?"

and he really meant that.

9. doliveti

doliveti New Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I also like how Ty thought Kyle Martino was a good canadate for rookie of the year. How can we forget that gem?!

10. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hahahahaha

I didn't even here that.

Shouldn't there be an [R] in this thread title?

Anyway, my favorite ty moment was when he first praised the call on Stoich, then he tried to take that comment away, a few moments later when Stone and Eric started blasting him. What a moron.

Honestly, if Hudson does leave DC, I think that he should immediately be put into the broadcast booth. No doubt that he is smarter then all of those jokers in there. Tie him up with Eric in there, and at least we won't have to listen to morons speak.

11. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    Re: Stoner is an idiot!

Well if you rewind your tape, which I am sure you have, you might notice that between the call and Mchead actually wrong footing the keeper, around 3 minutes of time had elapsed. So, that accounts for half of the 6, which looks about right to me, taken into consideration all the fouling in this game.

12. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hereby declare Ty's mistake as the Official Worst Keough Call Ever!

Martino a contender early on? Maybe last year.

Stone looks like a genius next to him.

Ref made some bad calls, but the stoppage time was dead on.

13. Emre5

Emre5 New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    chelsea,the death of
    Does Convey usually miss such simple scoring chances?

14. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    yes

15. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    His finishing is like his move to England.

It choked.

16. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was almost as confused as Rob, give him a break on the OT thing. A draw was a win for DC, if you see what I mean, but they couldn't "win" unless they played another 10 minutes. Crew were playing with full knowledge of overtime, because they didn't start really pushing until about 3 minutes left. OT sucks.

17. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    ahhh... no

He's our national tv commentator and it is a freaking embarrassment that one of our guy don't know the rules.

Thnx god not alot of ppl were watching.

18. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I love OT! This is what it's all about! Tell me you would opt not to watch all the drama in the final minutes of that game. What an unbelievable finish!

19. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a DCU fan who just returned from the game, and i still kinda like overtime. bottom line is that DC had MANY chances to score, and just didn't get it done. Thiago Martins alone on goal ........ Bobby Convey alone on goal, and countless other opportunites in front of goal on which we didn't score. I'm not gonna blame the ref. the calls didn't seem all that bad to me. Once again, we just didn't get it done. I'm just happy to hear from Harkes and Wheelock last night that Freddy Adu is coming to DC to save the day next year! :)

20. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Overtime has to go, because nothing compared with the final minutes of regulation. I had a eurosnob with me and he was fastinated by the game!

Listen, I like OT because of the extra time it adds to the game. However, it feels so artificial. Someone said that the amount of games ended in the last few minutes in the big leagues in Europe, was equal to the ones that finished in OT, in percentage terms. That doesn't matter, the game is supposed to be played one way, any other way is just plain gimicks to me.

I like what the league did with the playoff structure, now if they get rid of OT and put the league into a table, we are golden (there are not enough teams to have two conferences, in the future why not).

21. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    The ending was too dramatic. I thought the game was over too. Give him a break. You want Edwards back?

(Seriously, do you? Because he's killing us in Chicago)

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Eww!

23. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I liked all the drama in the final minutes of the game. The two goals, those were good. But the OT, no, that was boring and unnecessary and good only for the Crew (and Metro) fans out there. Tacking on another 10 minutes is just annoying.

All I was saying about Rob was that he's probably been watching normal soccer, was getting ready to call the game over, because up until Petke scored it was going to end, and then DC score and the game suddenly extends by 10 minutes to let the Crew have the chance to get it done again. Bleh.

I'm almost at the point of conceding that a single table won't happen, and it may be better that way, but OT has to go. It's always tired, ugly, and artificial (I like that, thanks).

24. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    What do you mean? The league is simply too small to have conferences, honestly it looks really stupid. Over time is not for me. I think it goes well for other sports, but it feels completely artificial for soccer games.

25. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the original point of this thread:

I've been saying for months now that Stoner is the biggest gak in the history of sports television.

At this point I'm just resigned to it; it's not really a complaint.