Stoitchkov: the Fire and the Fury (W. Post, Gildea, 10/25)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  2. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guildea, who occasionally writes about soccer, is one of the sports columnist gems of The Post.

3. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Gildea is one of my favorite sportswriters/columnists in America - maybe top 3. Damn good work here, as always.

RS

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Sign him up... He has balls and will give plenty of people here stuff to whine about. --Sounds a bit OVER qualified to me....

5. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    that's one of the best articles i've read in a long time...hilarious stuff about Hristo's voicemail message....and "Professor Dema Kovalenko"

6. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting he picked 'Tino as an example of who Hristo may have been too hard on.....
    Are we in the playoffs yet, can we just start this game already .......... oh, wait, maybe I should be closer to RFK when I say that ;-)

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    GREAT article!

"...gladiator down there roaring like Vesuvius at the linesman". :D

8. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Fantastic article! His playing days are indeed numbered, but if I had to pick a guy to be on my side in a bar fight, Hristo is that man.

9. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Tremendous article. Finally a human face put on one of the legends of the game. It lets us see what passion for the game really is and gives an idea of why he does some of the things that excite and at times frustrate the fans.

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    We are so lucky to have a paper that respects soccer like the Post.

I hope Hristo is back next year, but only as a coach. Well it would be good for him to keep in shape incase he is needed, but I hope we fully embrace a youth movement next season.

11. Soccer-Six-Shooter

Soccer-Six-Shooter New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    Trash. Why doesnt the article mention him breaking that kids ankle at American University. Stoitchkov is twice his age. Totally uncalled for play in a meaningless game. Also, the fake dive last week versus the Crew to get the PK. No class. Hothead. Hes a punk.

12. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read all 3 pages. That might help appreciating the whole article...

13. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Front page of the sports section in the choice spot directly in the middle and underneath the masthead...

Well balanced article with enough info for a reader to make up their mind as to whether this is a monster or a genius.

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I believe it does mention that. But why actually read the article befoe commenting on it? Maybe they can make a Cliff's Notes for you next time.

15. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    THAT is one good article.

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article.

Stupid post - a good fifth of the article was about the incident. Even Llerena admits it was an unfortunate accident.

I'd rather have someone like Stoitchkov on my side than some leaf-eater with lots of class and table manners. If a team ever needed someone to push them it's this one.

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you believe that this soccer icon is playing/coaching for only 50k? We are very fortunate to have him. If only he could instill his competitive fire in every DCU player on the pitch. I know he goes over the top perhaps to often, but I have never seen anyone with more focused attention on putting the ball in the #*#%** net!

18. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    The most interesting part of the article is Kevin Payne's quote.

19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Payne was right on. I was at the game, and I think Hristo would have injured one of his teammates just to get in the game! He was treating it like a WC final. When he did get in he volleyed in a long cross from, I believe, Namoff, for the win. Just before the play he took Namoff aside and, in view of what happened a few minutes later, he must have outlined the play to him. It was a classic finish.

20. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That's not the exact part of the quote I was talking about, but the goal was nice.

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, my wife and I are friends with a friend of Stoitchkov. According to him, the incident with the kid's leg being broke weighed on Hristo heavily. He didn't talk about it much, but to say he felt bad is an understatement.
    I realize that doesn't help the kid out as far as his leg, but I thought it was worth countering that the guy did not take the incident lightly.

22. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i still can't get over Professor Dema Kovalenko...

and his phone message...

gosh that is funny

23. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Take it easy on the guy, it was a long article and his lips got tired from reading the first 2 paragraphs.
    Hristo is a treasure and Gildea paid him the respect he deserves. While he may be 9 years on the other side of his best playing days, United is lucky to have him

24. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    that was very good article for such a volitile player. Well balanced... the great thing is that Gildea was able to convey Hristo's intensity and passion in the article. Great job.