Stoitchkov Gets Green Card

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by PCC from DC, Jul 30, 2003.

1. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, this clears the way for Kaka to be our new striker? ;^)

2. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Just from a developmental standpoint, I deplore how many green card holders there on on MLS rosters. Since the number of teams hasn't expanded, the effect is to reduce the number of roster slots for native born citizens who learned the game in the States (as opposed to guys like Stoichkov and Etcheverry).

That said, Hristo getting a green card clearly helps DCU. I think the Pavon deal is getting more likelier by the minute. That also raises the issue of who on the 18 man roster would be cut. I'm guessing it would be Chino.

3. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    he's good and all, btu do we really want someone named "shit" to be on our team? imagine the metroscum fans: "You're shiite and you know it . . . shiite and you know it." What can Kaka say to that?

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Since his unfortunate loss has Chino even been able to reenter the country????

5. KCFAN

KCFAN New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Edmond, OK
    What's up with the red (or is that maroon) jersey Hristo is wearing in the pic on MLSnet.com

I didn't know you all had anything but a black and a white. Just curious.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    2 or 3 in the back of the net would say it nicely.

7. cwhein

cwhein New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    USA
    Congrats Hristo!

Wow! A Green Card for Stoitchkov - it will look nice with all the yellow and red cards he's collected over the years.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's the jersey we wear to beat up on EPL sides. :D

9. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Well, we're not getting Kaka. If Pavon is anything like he was 2 years ago, he will be a HUGE step up from our current crop of non-scoring forwards.

The red jerseys were worn against Blackburn last week.

10. KCFAN

KCFAN New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Edmond, OK
    excellent. maybe you should ditch the white and wear the red when not wearing black. i.e. "the red and black"

11. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    First off. It is Black and Red. Black, then Red.

This name is hokey, I don't like it, but I CAN and WILL defend it.

For those of you too young or too old to remember: the first match ever played in MLS was DC United at San Jose. The uniforms worn by the fabled "Black and Red" for that match were as follows: Black top, Red Shorts. This set was worn for roughly 1/3rd of the matches the "Black and Red" played the first season and a handful in 1997 also.

Hence, the term is steeped in...well, maybe wading in tradition.

And for the record, our relatively new third top (the one some call Maroon and some call Red) is actually PINK. We're the Pink and Black. Get your facts straight people!

Cheers,
    Tim

12. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD
    Personally, I prefer to think that the foreign players improve the quality of play and would only replace the player at the end of the bench who could probably stand the game time in the A-league. I believe that improving the quality of play will do more for MLS than keeping the 18th roster spot for a marginal US player.

What is Chino's status? Is he following the Faria model or is he having visa problems. It would be tough to lose a family member and then your job.

13. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    That is good news!

14. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    [​IMG]

Is it just me or does Hristo look even more like a broken down old man than normal.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Maybe. You think that's the hand of death reaching for him in that picture there?

16. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    I've fallen and I can't get up!

No, that's Etcheverry reaching for him to stop him from falling. He dropped his walker.

In all seriousness, that old bulgarian could still kick any of our asses and outrun the mob of our friends (although my friends would probaby just sit around and say "Wow, Stoichkov kicked your ass. Cool.")

17. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    I disagree. First off, the only thing that's going to help development is developmental rosters, not developmental slots. Secondly, in order to earn a green card, a foreign player has to have some very non-tenuous connection to the United States. Specifically, Etcheverry and Stoitchkov have demonstrated sincere commitment to helping develop soccer in this country. So they get a pass in my book.

Frankly, if you want to help development in this country, the answer is not cutting out green card holders, it's increasing roster sizes, instituting reserve teams and expansion, in that order.

I don't know--the latest on Pavon is that he's waffling because he wants to play in Mexico next year. Unfortunately for him, I think you're right--Chino is a likely cut. Nobody else gives you the combination of roster space and much-less-than-optimal production.

The thing about Chino is that I like him. He's all heart, he bleeds black-and-red, and you always get 110% effort out of him. It's a shame, but he just really isn't an MLS-quality player--at least not for this team.

18. From a legal standpoint it is unlawful to discriminate against permanent residents, ie green card holders, for employment purposes. The only exceptions are those jobs where citizenship is required by federal or state law. So MLS is just complying with the law by not counting green card holders as internationals.

Speaking from personal experience getting a green card is a pretty ardous process for most people, so I think the actual impact that this has on MLS is likely pretty minimal. The 'youth / international' slots that allow the likes of Alegria to not count as internationals probably have a bigger impact on young US players, if anything.

19. CharlesS

CharlesS Member

Apr 2, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    So that's what they call a red and yellow together...

20. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Well he did get the green light to get more yellows and reds...

21. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm not advocating discrimination. And there are some green card holders who came to the USA at an early age.

But the USSF supported the creation of MLS primarily to develop US soccer talent. The more green card players there are, the fewer roster spots there are for native citizens. Let's look at DCU just as an example: Kovalenko, Stoichkov, Etcheverry, Geddes. Add in the TI's (Quintanilla and Alegria) and the SI's (Nelsen, Ivanov) and that means 1/3rd of the roster are primarily guys who were born outside the USA and developed their game outside the USA (Nelsen and Geddes push that a bit) and only Kovalenko and I think Geddes aren't inelligible to play for the USA.

Again, I'm not arguing green card holders are bad people or MLS should discriminate somehow. I just wish there weren't so many green card holders in MLS. The way it operates in MLS, the green card is often a loophole around the SI limit (much like subbing your GK is a loophole around the 4 subs).