Stoichkov Dive [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by MarioKempes, Oct 20, 2003.

1. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoichkov Dive

Here's my rating:

Creativity 0
    Execution -1
    Artistic Value 1 (I've a soft spot for flounder)
    Effectiveness 10

Overall score: 2.5

2. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was ugly, yet beautifully effective, he got the call. I know the loss sucked for you guys, but that was a fun game.

3. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC
    Mario, you beat me to the exact post. Anyway, you need to take age into account and add a .5 to all of your scores.

Personally, Hristo though he would be getting a Yellow card. I though he looked a bit surprised when the PK came around.

Overall, I thought that the annoncers pointed out his play too much. He is a great player who will get you a goal or an assist. He can be on my team anytime. Even now I would take him over Wynalda in his prime!!!!!

4. Two Beasleys

Two Beasleys BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 30, 2003
    Washington. DC

This demonstrates how big of a tool you are.

While Stoichkov was a great player in his prime (my favorite player of all time), he just distracts the team right now.

Every time he steps on the pitch he throws an elbow, actually, he was throwing an elbow just befofre he dove. The guy just looks to make the game difficult for everyone with his lack of discipline. His constant yelling at his teammates does not help either. Anyone notice how slow United players were to join Stoichkov in celebration after the penalty?

Wynalda was such a great player in his prime. You comments lack merit and so do you. Rookie.

5. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You call him a rookie yet you've been here since July!?! Stoichkov was a legend in his prime. (At Barca) now he's just....there.

You can tell that a game will be horribly officiated when that horrendously obvious Dive works so easily. I mean at least Etcheverry actually gets his Penalties from actual fouls!

6. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Stoichkov

He clearly dove, but he was also clearly being fouled as he ran into the box. And he had the ball ahead of him, the defender behind/on him and only the keeper to beat.

Unlike the penalty called for Columbus, which was on a 50-50 ball.

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Stoichkov

You forgot to mention the minor detail that West got to the ball first and pushed it past Warren, who got none of the ball but proceeded to take West out with a tackle that would get him a raise in the NFL. A 50-50 ball is one where both players get there at the same time (or at least both make contact with the ball). This wasn't a 50-50 ball.

Somehow I knew there would be someone claiming that the DC penalty was more deserved than the Crew penalty.

8. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Stoichkov

Quake fans talking about diving :D

Somehow I knew a San Jose fan would be over here trying to avert their eyes from that 0-3 wreck.

9. toomanywords

toomanywords Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Stoichkov

Well, I was at the game and only saw it the one time (my seats are at midfield) because they never show any useful replays at RFK. So it's possible you're right. But the ball wasn't going anywhere near the goal at any rate.

10. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Stoichkov

Hey, Landon gets a lot more air than Stoichkov. And that head snap-back action to boot! Definitely not a negative score on "execution."

Stoichkov looked like he was falling to his knees in prayer. His prayer was answered all too quickly...

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Re: Re: Re: Stoichkov

Nice caricature of Ray, except you have to him cussin' in Geordie.

12. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Stoichkov

Next thing you know, Stotichkhov will emulate Rivaldo's K-J dive, and any MLS ref (except Prus) will award the PK.

13. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Justice would have been served if the referee would issued a yellow card for the dive AND still awarded the PK for the foul. Stoichkov was fouled and sadly he made a baffoon of himself as he dived to the turf.

14. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Now that's comedy!!

15. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoickov's dive was something out of pro-wrestling. Which makes sense since Mark Williams reminds me of Sid Vicious (both looks and play).

Personally it would have been fair if neither of the penalties had been called. West had no chance to get the ball he pushed past Warren. In my opinion that was his shot and since it was well past when the contact was made it should have been a no call.

16. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United

Agree completely. It was a dive, a pretty bad one too. He looked like he was doing The Wave as he went down.

But he also was fouled. In the box. Hell, he'd beaten the guy on the play. The call was legit.

AQ

17. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still waiting for someone to have the balls to toss this bastard when he starts in on the fourth official. If it were me on the sideline, I'd mace the son of a bitch.

18. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    That dive was the most pathetic dive I have ever seen.

EVER!

19. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Tell us how you really feel.

20. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I think what bothers me most about his dive is that he felt that he needed to do it. He had good position, why couldn't he push forward and slam a shot into the net with his left foot? It's sad when great players rely on poor tricks to get results.

Yes he was fouled. Would he have been awared a penalty kick if he didn't dive? Probably not. Did it matter in the end? No.

We lost because we played like crap. We can blame the ref all we want, but we looked awful. Petke's goal was the only bright spot in the game for DC United and Columbus' keeper's save on Thiago's shot and McBride's goal were the only highlights for them. It was an ugly game.

21. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    ... mod's note ...

Two Beasleys - That's enough flaming and trolling. I'm deleting your latest post. Please avoid this forum in the future.

22. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw the replay on mlsnet.com. Um, dive.

He was getting groped by the defender, and I hate, I mean really hate, that style of play. But, what can you do? It wasn't enough to bring him down, I don't think. That last grab around Stoichkov's neck just didn't look like it had the force to pull him down, but down he went.

I wish he'd sunk some of those shots rather than win the PK, but he's still the only effective forward we've got.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City