Stock Picker Thread-2007

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Footer Phooter, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Market's closed for the year, what do we like for 2007? Where's the market headed?

2. bear1001

bear1001 New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I like Goldman Sachs (GS) and Allegiant Travel (ALGT).

Goldman Sachs had a huge run in 2006 but I don't think it is done. It has a higher growth rate then JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch, and Morgan Stanley. It also trades at a P/E discount to all of them.

Allegiant Travel is a recent airline IPO offering service from small markets to travel destinations like Las Vegas and Orlando. It partners with hotels and car rental agencies to create a complete package. A recent research note from a Prudential analyst expects 20% growth. He also commented that its cost structure was as competitive as Southwest's.

I own both of these by the way.

3. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm out for the moment, but looking at several that I have invested in the past, like CREE and RFMD. Not sure if I'd call them "recommendations" just yet though.

4. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I'm intrigued by CREE. Gonna do a little more research on that one.

CAKE had a good day, made me happy. Nice surprise when I got home. (Not a recommendation, but I own it)

5. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Sold CAKE today. Made like 2% over the month. The more I looked at it, the less I liked it.

In other news, Henry Blodgett doesn't think you should listen to the guy pumping stocks on TV. Thanks Henry. I'm sure the people who bought the crap you were pushing appreciate your help now.

http://www.slate.com/id/2158497/nav/tap1/

6. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

To be honest,Jim Cramer is the reason I got into stocks.even though I don't really understaned all the numbers,and even though I feel I'm sort of gabbling with my money.
    Watching Cramer on and off.,I started to believe that if I had a little extra cash.,who knows,maybe I could make it grow.

I done well at the start,about three years ago. but then I bought 400 shares of this cheap stock that put me back where I had began. I'll ride the storm because I can.and I don't want to sell for a loss.

Anyway. It's nice to see this thread,and hope we all make money the old fashion way........we earn it.

7. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Just bought some BEAS:

[​IMG]

8. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I like Tata Motors. They're coming out with a $2,500 car that they'll be selling in India. May take a couple of years, but I think the company's stock is going to do very well.

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    From Fund Fire:

I think I'll buy 1000 shares of this and sell them all in four years. :D

10. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    using cnn to try the stock market to get some knowledge as well as reading some books, and will take a class probably next semster. looked up jaso last friday, and bought (fake money is awesome) anyways i bought at 32.40. it has gone up to 4 percent. so i would of made 130 dollars as i bought 50. i had some other companies but jaso has grown pretty well.

11. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one's kind of been a rough ride. Did you hang on through the downturn?

Updating, I did buy Cree around 17 and then doubled my position at around 22. It's at 27 now so I have done pretty well. I had also bought Color Kinetics (CLRK) at about 20 and Philips offered to buy them for 34 last week. Both Cree and CLRK are LED lighting companies. I never got back into RFMD though and that has turned out to be good. I still think that's a good company though and I continue to watch it.

Also got into Morgan Stanley (MS) last week for the Discover Financial Services (DFS) windfall. Not too sure about the MS, but I think the DFS has a lot of upside potential.

on the other hand, I held Apple (AAPL) all of last year and when it went from 95-ish down to 85-ish, I sold (made a profit though). Then I bought again around 105, so I am up about 15 per share right now.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yes, although I sold at $13.29 (bought at $12.23). Didn't really get the gain I was hoping for, but part of my strategy was that it would take off after the backdating was resolved. However, once they announced they wouldn't make their June deadline (which was orginally a May deadline), I got fed up, and figured a small gain over 4 months was better than waiting for the next debacle.

Ended up buying a few shares of GOOG instead.

13. elciclon

elciclon New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    BOEDO
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    this exploted again today, its at 42- incredible 15 percent today.

14. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you made money! The GOOG looks like a good move so far.

My AAPL kind of exploded last week, although it gave some back the last couple. Still up almost 20%. CREE is still also doing well and I'm thinking I may actually pick up some more. I'm also looking at Philips (PHG) to continue the LED lighting move.

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Was actually up today, mostly thanks to TTM, which has had a very good couple of weeks.

Picked up some OXPS today. Went down about 3% on the day. Good growth in a growing industry (options trading), awesome balance sheet (7.50 per share in cash for a $25 stock), and easy comps over the next couple months. Bonus: Possible takeover target by any one of the large online brokers. I'll probably sell the thing if it runs up a significant amount in the near future though.

16. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Update:

Made a lot of money today on TTM and OXPS, up 4.9% and 5.9% respectively.

Of course, I'm sure I'll be giving it back tomorrow thanks to GOOG. :eek:

17. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yup. Even Citigroup was down, despite a pretty decent quarter. GOOG and TTM got creamed. Ugh.

18. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Citigroup or JPM? Your thoughts?

19. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They are equally good.

To short.

20. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. Wait 2 weeks to buy those in the kill zone.

21. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    i wish you didnt do this, as both C and JPM increased while DJIA fell around 5% in the past several days. And as the possibility of stock market hitting the bottom increases everyday, your chance to lose money would have increased.

Seriously, JPM has tripled its net income in the past two years, provide 3.5% dividend yield, and is trading at the P/E ratio less than 10.

and C, which i think is the largest bank in the world, has dividend yield is at 4.4% (4.7% forward).

It would be crazy to short any of these stocks, as they have much higher chance to go up, and much less chance of going down. And even if they do go down, the fall will be so minute it wouldnt be worth the risk.

That said, i think im going to take a bit more risk and purchase DB.

22. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I sold C early last week, when I came to the conclusion that I had no idea what they were holding, what assets would have to be marked down, and what the effect on future earnings would be. I wouldn't buy it or short it right now. (But you can make your own decisions. :D)

23. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Are you just looking at charts or have you noticed what is going on in the outside world at the moment?
    Wow. I think I'd rather go to Vegas. At least there you can take in the shows.

24. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    No. I dont look at charts. I look at the incoem statement and the balance sheet.

Well, I dont claim to be "right" just because the stock market agrees with me, but this time, had i taken your advice, i would have lost money.

What was ironic was that the same day you proposed to short C and JPM, warren buffet bought up more stakes in other fianancial sector. (which happened to be up 3.5% Friday.)

Obviously, youre missing something.

But tell me specifically, what is wrong with financial stocks right now? because of the subprime mortgage? Wellsfargo went up nearly 10% in the past 5 days.

So tell me. What is your reasoning for advising to short all those stocks?

25. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002

yeah i think youre right. Citi has no clear path to growth, and the only reason to buy them now would be for their safe dividend. I cant see it going up much more than $55 (and i cant see it going less than what its selling for now).