Stock-picker Thread (2006!)

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Dammit!, Dec 30, 2005.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That wasnt the kind of pullback I was looking for. lol. Luckily I havent bought any yet. Since it made such a dramatic drop withour any sideways resting I am waiting awhile.

"Dont catch a falling knife syndrome" and all of that...

MAtt in the Hatt: You missed a good pint session with Leo and I at Nevada's yesterday for the Man U Arse game. ;)

2. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Speaking of Matt, his stock (LPX) is testing its 52 week high on increasing volume, no? I kinda wish I had some free money floating around.

Between the 4 immediate recommendations so far, we are looking pretty damn savvy.

Looks like Underarmor got downgraded, accounting for the 5% drop.

3. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That is the trade off with overnights and longer term holdings. Some dickhead analyst wants to hog the limelight for himself and downgrades a stock to get on the news. THis is why I dont get too involved in overthinking a stock.

Why? Most analysts out there are smarter than me, better educated me, and have picked through these companies with a fine tooth comb. And yet they totally disagree about the quality of a stock. One genius says its overvalued, while another says its a bargain. Who do you believe? And while common sense says research the analyst for a track record, very few are consistant.

That is why I like chart reading. Easier said than done, but chart formation, when combined with volume, reflect crowd sentiment. You can see the stock testing and bouncing off of different areas of support resistance.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn work.

Hope Leo is doing well. I saw him for the WC draw at Nathan Hales.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Well... even though you're a metrofan, I'm sure most analysts that I've met aren't smarter than you.... but then again, you ARE a metrofan. :D

Really, the only advantage that these analysts have over you is that they do this day in and day out and you don't.

I don't even look at them.

Leo! How's the sonofagun?

Sachin

6. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I have been long on JOSB for the last year and have been rewarded nicely. The stock has almost doubled since I bought it last December and after a little hiccup in early December as some people overreacted to SSS figures the stock settled at $40 and began to move back up. Today the company announced SSS for December (on top of a fabalous Dec '04) of 20.7%. The company is opening new stores and funding the expansion with cash from operating activities.

Large short interest in the stock which always makes life fun when the stock starts to move as the short squeeze comes into play.

Haters on the stock point to the inventory issue and lack of cash growth being generated by the company but they have been harping on these two points the last four years and that hasn't stopped JOSB yet. The inventory issue is a mirage IMO b/c the apparel the company sells is conservative and not likely to go out of style causing huge markdowns after a season. A black suit in 2005 will be a black suit in 2006.

The other stock I just started looking at is Huuray Holding (HRAY). Showed up on one of my screeners with a low PEG and some strong growth potential (cell phone content provider in China).

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I've been long on ESLR (Evergreen Solar) since July, where I bought at a cost-basis of $7.62/share. Now it's ranging between $10 and $12 after taking a brief dip down to about $6 because of missing their numbers. They beat their numbers the next quarter and took off to $12. At the beginning of 2005, they were at $2 :eek:

It's been on of Cramer's favorites for a few months now, which has helped the price.

The have an interesting technology that allows them to put more solar receptors on silicon, and more importantly, have locked up their silicon supply for the next 2-3 years. Just recently, they got several major partnerships and a major subsidy toward building a plant in Germany.

Of course, the alternative energy market is subject to massive booms and busts, so this could easily be back at $2/share if oil gets cheaper again. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Sachin

8. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I go to a meeting and the stock makes a liar out of me - a nice little $2 afternoon run and the almost is gone and it is now officially doubled.

Looking at the MarketCaster makes me a happy man - JOSB +10.41% and AMD +3.69% today. 2006 is off to a great year. Now time to revisit both and review my exit points.

9. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land

Jackpot!

----

Anyone have any opinions on Proc/Gamble?

Chart:

[​IMG]

52wk Range: 51.16 - 59.70
    Volume: 8,826,300
    Avg Vol (3m): 8,262,500
    Market Cap: 139.43B
    P/E (ttm): 21.54
    EPS (ttm): 2.72
    Div & Yield: 1.12 (1.90%)

--------

I'm looking for some longer term stuff for the IRA.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "P&G is pleased to welcome Gillette and its products into the family. Together, we will offer many new benefits through the addition of even more leading brands. Gillette and Braun's shaving and grooming products, the Oral-B® dental care line and Duracell® batteries and flashlights will broaden the ways in which we can continue to provide the kinds of helpful solutions to assist our customers in taking care of their families, their homes — and themselves!"

http://www.pg.com/en_US/gillette.jhtml

Well, everyone need toilet paper and shampoo, right?

11. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Exactly what I was thinkin. Necess goods do well when there's a recession, like if housing comes down hard in these next 2 years.

But, you'r wrong that everyone needs toilet paper and shampoo.

The French have been doing without for hundreds of years now.

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone noticed what the best performing stock of the year is?

GM!

Freaking riot, isn't it?

13. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Yeah, up like 8% today.

Some guy said something good about them. Boy, does he have beer glasses or what?

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just bought Whole Foods again last week.

Got it at 76.72 and its at 77.75 already.

I think this one has still got potential to move and possibly split again

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick question, any idea why the surge in Apple right now?

Its over $80 a share, and didn't it split around this price last time?

16. subsnerd

subsnerd New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    honolulu
    They had their annual presentation today where they make a bunch of announcements. I think the big news is that they're shipping new macs with intel processors earlier than expected. I was lucky to get 350 shares at $13 some years back before the 2 for 1 split. Every other stock I bought during the dotcom frenzy has been crap.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I just checked Mac news and saw the spiel.

18. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Forbes just published an article saying Apple is overpriced. Take care.

Also, update on one of me stocks, Boeing (BA) has hit sucky territory. However, fundamentals haven't changed much so I'm hoping it's a temp pullback. I migh buy more if it drops 2 more points.

Last, anyone have an opinion on "uranium" companies as a nalt-energy play? I was looking at a Canadian company but, for the love of God, the name escapes me right now. My eyes generally glare over when I think "Canada" though.

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing about BA is that all of the major domestic carriers are expecting better than average results this year, reversing a decade long slump. Could lead the way to investment in new equipment!

Picked up some BA myself. We'll see

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Ouch, rough day for the market!

I know it's boring, but is anyone looking at the dividends some bluechips are paying? Pfizer pays nearly 4%, Bank of America (who report Monday) nearly 4.5%. Lots of other examples. For those with a long term perspective these types of dividend returns are awfully attractive.

Good luck and happy hunting!

21. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Dammit!, more about Boeing

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-19-2006/0004263997&EDATE=
    Defense Budget Cuts and Priorities Result in Boeing Wichita Layoffs
    PR Newswire - January 19, 2006 16:00

Jan 19, 2006 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) officials announced today that 60-day layoff notices will be issued to 84 employees at its Wichita site on Jan. 20, 2006, as a result of Department of Defense program delays and budget issues.

Layoff notices will go to hourly and salaried employees within the company's Integrated Defense Systems (IDS) business unit.

22. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Wow, what a horrible day indeed.
    A mini crash of some kind, anyways, the solid stocks held on pretty well, however if this keeps up then ill be in the negative for the year...(2006)
    Oil at 68, if the Iran dealy goes bad, well hit 70, even 80 in no time.

23. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I was pissing around today a little and actually pulled out $208 trading 3600 shares :D

shorted BZH is where I made most of it...

24. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    At least my one alt-energy stock did well. :)

Yeah. It was dreary.

Thanks Matt for the info. I'm hoping the pick-up in satellite $$ will make up for any defense cut-backs. I'll be buying in here pretty soon. boeing

Also, although the US orders for the C-17 are drying up, I understand that they still have foreign private orders, so they won't be stopping that line of production anytime soon.

25. Andeinho

Andeinho New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Heres something to look for, HBC, yes Hudsons Bay Company. What a lot of people are not watching for is their appearel for the upcoming Olympics. I expect HBC and HONDA motor company as my 2 month picks for high percentage gains. My surprise pick and gamble for this quarter is Canwest Petroleum, yes its a VERY VERY SMALL CAP COMPANY, but the gains on this pump and dump company are freaking amazing. I say invest but keep a daily watch on the thing, i will hold it until the end of this week, Jan. 27th.