Stock-picker Thread (2006!)

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by Dammit!, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    The thread to discuss stocks.

Remember:

1. This is all amateur information and do your own due dilligence. This is a soccer board for the love of God.

2. Don't post a stock without any discussion. That's not helpful. If you're long a stock, say why.

Good luck investing in 2006!

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am looking into Under Armour. (UARM) This has the feel of a good intermediate to long term play. It sold off on its IPO on 11/18 (opened at 31.00 and dropped immediately. Bounced in the neighboorhood of 21 a few days later, and once it reboundedpast resistance at 30, it ran quickly to the high 30's where it is now. (I missed it, I wasnt watcinh the markets at the time)

I am not one for fundamental analysis, but with more of a Peter Lynch approach (evaluates fundamentals as well as everyday impression of the product (popularity in society, etc) this could be a winner.

I am looking for a pullback in the mid 30's to buy a little. Buying it here looks risky to me. I am going to let it trade sideways or start a forming a tighter range for a safer entry in my opinion.

When I saw EPL teams wearing a relatively new product, I knew the management was relativley aggressive in reaching out to different markets which I think is positive.

By the way, for you Cramer-holics out there, I didnt see the show, but I heard he was pimping the hell out of this stock when it went public. Granted it dropped after he did so, but if you stomached it and held on, you are doing well. Personally, by looking at the chart, I would have sold it for a loss after feeling that much pain.

[​IMG]

3. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I heard Cramer talkin this stock up back in the day.

My concern is that I believe Nike has launched a competing line. I forget the name... but it's the same kind of thing.

4. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I recently purchased some Keytronic (ktcc). This is small small cap. Market cap = 31 million only. They make like .48 per share and the p/e is a meesly 6.6. There's resistance at around $3.30, but once past that, the stock is set to head to $5. What's the downside? Well, the 52 week low is $2.17... Much more upside than down.

[​IMG]

Did the chart work? :eek:

Please feel free to disagree with my resistance points.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Nike has had UA type gear for the past couple of years. In fact I think Vick was one of the first big Nike guys to promote it. Hell I even have one of their pieces that was a gift to me.

That type of clothing has been around before UA hit it big, but it was really, really, really niche and was never really marketed. Now UA is just as popular as Hollister and American Eagle with the young folks (HS & college).

Heather Mitts became a UA endorser a year or two ago.

I work parttime at REI and we finally started carrying UA earlier this year which was really suprising because the type of people that typically wear UA gear are gym rats and football types, not outdoorsy, backpacking vegans. I am really not sure how it's doing in our stores as a whole, but I sure know that it is flying out the door in our store. Seems like we unbox several boxes of this stuff each week and the UA racks are pretty empty. What REI is doing with the UA gear though is promoting it as cross training garments instead of musclehead gear.

In my 8+ years of working for REI, one thing I've noticed is that hot companies such as The North Face and Mountain Hardwear eventually get bought out...The North Face got taken over by (DAMNIT the name slips my mind, but it is a fashion oriented company) and Mtn. Hardwear got bought out by Columbia. Another example is hot snowboard apparel companies eventually get swallowed up by bigger players. That's what I see happening to UA in a couple of years.

6. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    that's VF Corp, the co. that makes Lee jeans.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Moderator
    Staff Member

FC Edmonton
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wendy's International is going to spin-off it's intrest in Tim Horton's in an IPO offering in the new year. Tim Horton's is a chain of coffee and donut shops that has been profitable and providing a better return than Wendy's own hamburger business.

Not known what the opening price will be or how much stock will be offered in total although American investors will get 2/3 of all stock.

Will trade under the symbol THI.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm looking at lumber just judging on the housing boom and the demand for new homes in the gulf states. So I have my eye on Louisiana-Pacific Corp (NYSE:LPX) which is underweighted by JP Morgan. Plan on a long term hold, say 2 yrs due to the length of time it is gonna take to get the south back on line.

Unrelated, when the new S&P 500 members were released I kicked myself so hard, I may have broken my leg. I bought Whole Foods in Nov 01 for $18/share and dumped it at around $22. Now its on the F500, has split and is going for almost $80.

I suck

9. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    PRZ. Pain Management company based out of Florida. Should be a decent stock if the economy starts to slip in '06. Of course it's been down 8% over the last week and a half, so don't trust my judgement on anything.

10. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't get hung up on the trades where you didn't make enough money to satisfy yourself. I'd get hung up on the ones that you lose your shirt on. :)

Getting an 800% return would've been nice though.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Not to discredit your pick, but this thread could quickly get into a lot of trouble if people start touting small caps trading under $5. My personal opinion, staying away from PRZ is pain management.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Fair enough. Don't buy it then.

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Yup...VF (Vanity Fair) Corp bought North Face.

Another example of this that I just ran across earlier this morning....venerable winter sports gear Rossignol is now owned by Quiksilver.

And Prana....originally started out as a climbing clothing company and then got into yoga stuff and the like was just bought out by Liz Claiborne.

14. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I think the thread only gets in trouble if people with NO prior posts start coming on to tout small caps.

Nothing wrong with small caps. Greater risk and greater reward.

PRZ actually looks interesting. If it bounces off $3 with high volume, it's someting I'd be interested in. Plus, I live in FLorida and have chronic pain so it's something I might otherwise make use of. :)

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the beginning of the BigSoccer Mutual Fund?

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry if my post came across as smug, I'm just urging a little caution (as the thread already contains a micro cap). I actually like the sector, perhaps you can explain why PRZ will do well if the economy softens.

Good luck and happy hunting in 2006!

17. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    OkaY, a bigger cap.

:)

I've been watching Boeing (BA). It has been doing wonderfully and still has legs IMO, for the longer term.

They have developed a lighter fuselage.. I forget the metal. THe first planes will be finished in 2008. The orders are already pouring in. Don't ask for a link, I talked to two employees.

The lighter planes become important due to high fuel costs. Airbus is 2-3 years behind them on the technology.

Plus, many airplanes were ordered/made in the late boomin 90s, and the first wave of replacement parts is coming up.

18. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Singapore Airlines just asked for a cubic crapload (technical term) of 787's two months ago.

19. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Bingo. IT was the 787 that is the new "lighter" jetplane. This from the boeing website:

"The 787-8 Dreamliner will carry 210 - 250 passengers on routes of 8,000 to 8,500 nautical miles (14,800 to 15,700 kilometers), while the 787-9 Dreamliner will carry 250 - 290 passengers on routes of 8,600 to 8,800 nautical miles (15,900 to 16,300 km). A third 787 family member, the 787-3 Dreamliner, will accommodate 290 - 330 passengers and be optimized for routes of 3,000 to 3,500 nautical miles (5,550 to 6,500 km).

In addition to bringing big-jet ranges to mid-size airplanes, the 787 will provide airlines with unmatched fuel efficiency, resulting in exceptional environmental performance. The airplane will use 20 percent less fuel for comparable missions than any similarly sized airplane. It will also travel at speeds similar to today's fastest wide bodies, Mach 0.85. Airlines will enjoy more cargo revenue capacity. "

20. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Totally agree on Boeing. I probably can't own it because of work, but with all the international airlines starting and upcoming part replacement, the stock should do pretty well in the near future.

21. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Up 5.5% today. If this were a contest, I'd have the early lead. :D

22. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land

My micro-stock is up... exactly 0%. That puts me in 2nd place since Boeing is down since we started.

Underarmor isn't in the race I think, since our fearless moderator was looking at it only on a pull-back.

Footer, since you are resident genius, any mid/large-cap stocks you would recommend to us humble idiots?

23. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Speaking of Boeing, isn't this a heeaalthy lookin chart?

[​IMG]

24. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Eratic, but in the right direction.

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Did you write that while at Horton's cuz then we'd know it's important?

((sorry, Gord Downie reference)) :)