Still the Dallas Burn?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by KCWiz, Aug 13, 2005.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Did anybody notice?

The bottomline on ESPN2 tells us that next weeks game is the Dallas Burn vs. Columbus Crew. I got a good laugh out of that. Pretty much because I liked the Burn.

2. UTmorMAN

UTmorMAN New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Ogden
    Is anybody else watching DCU and los Goats? Did anybody else just catch what went buy on the ESPN bottom line? The words "Dallas Burn vs. Columbus Crew" just scrolled by! That should be pretty insulting to MLS fans. It should also show us how much ESPN really cares about MLS.

3. jsdelp76

jsdelp76 Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Atlanta
    And a gazillion media outlets still refer to the Metrostars as NY/NJ. SO what, What are you going to do? At least they are showing the game.

4. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    They're not?

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also aren't showing any of the other MLS games scheduled for today, which I wish they would.

6. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not since 1998 or so. Just "MetroStars" now.

7. jsdelp76

jsdelp76 Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Atlanta
    Actually, I think they officially changed there name to NY/NY Metroscum.

8. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    Funny.

My ticket to the United-Metro game last week said "NY/NJ Metrostars" on it.

9. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next week, ESPN2 will present us the "LA Traffic", the "Chicago Rhythm", and the "Washington Spies."

10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was wrong. Now granted, when they changed the name, they didn't really publicize it at all, and don't seem to care that 90% of people get it wrong.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Primadonas (without the talent).

And why is it that everybody (TV, radio, etc) still refer to them as NY/NJ then? Hell, even the MLSNet stuff calls them that on a regular basis.

Bottom line, I want to see the official press release that says that they changed it or else I'm going by what everybody else calls them.

12. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) Check out the next time they're on ESPN2. They're abbreviated "MET".

2) Check their website, nowhere is "NY/NJ" mentioned.

13. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    This is at the bottom of every MetroStars press release:

There you go.

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BFD.

Next!

15. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    The Salt Lake Marshes, Chivas Regal and New England Clam Chowder will also be featured. All we need now is the Miami Vice, Kentucky Derby, Philly Blunts, Long Island Ice Tea and Buffalo Wings. :D

16. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a number of places that refer to the Metros as "New Jersey" lately. So many, in fact, that I thought it might've been an intentional effort on the part of MLS.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still call the team the Burn sometimes.

What's the big deal?

18. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    So write a letter to ESPN if it makes you unhappy. It's not going to make them care about soccer any more.

Last Monday, when they put together their weekly "Ultimate Highlight" segment (which is utter crap, btw...), I noticed that they didn't include any MLS highlights--not Ruiz's goal, not Youri's--but showed a coupla highlights from European soccer and plenty of highlights from the absolute joke that is the And1 Mixtape tour. Talk about disrespect!!!!

In fairness, though, ESPN isn't always on the ball with updating info. As recently as a week ago, I noticed that the beginning of "NFL Live", which features a bunch of NFL team logos moving across the screen, that they're still using the old Atlanta Falcons logo, even though they haven't had that logo for two years now. Compared to that, "Dallas Burn" is pretty lightweight.

19. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

some of the presentors call the Mets, NJ Mets.

20. lilepp6

lilepp6 New Member

May 9, 2005

and for some reason I still call San Jose the Clash instead of the Quakes...I know what you mean though on calling FCD the Burn, I don't know how many times last week during the game I heard people at PHP calling them the Burn

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Burn" isn't a great nickname but at least its better than "Hoops"

22. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Personally, I don't like the move to traditional names for soccer teams. And I don't think names like Chivas USA, FC Dallas and Real Salt Lake are appealing to the general American public; and they are mocked by fans who are in to foreign soccer.

One thing that was interesting was that a friend of mine who is really in to Euro soccer was once sitting with me as I watched a Real Salt Lake v Dallas game about a month ago. He asked me what were the names of the teams. After I told him, he said they were stupid names and that if MLS ever wanted to be taken seriously it had to stop playing games on top of gridiron football lines. He is not the first Euro fan who has mocked the Real Salt Lake name. I wonder what Jim Rome or Joe Sixpack think about such names?

FC Dallas was an effort by Dallas to rebrand itself. I guess they could do what they want, however if the fans think Burn is better than Hoops so be it. Who came up with the Hoops name anyway? What happens if they change their shirt design? I know Hoops is the nickname for Celtic, but it really has no connection to Dallas and sounds like the name of a WNBA team. Actually, Rangers would be more fitting for a team like Dallas.

That was my 300th post.

23. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that as well.. every time it ran across it bugged me a little more

I probably would have cared more if I was an FC fan

24. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    It was fixed before halftime though.

Yeah, traditional nicknames are not a good route. "ReAl" and "FC" are neither appealing nor make sense. Maybe Dallas SC, or Dallas Burn SC. There is a reason FC does not work. We are MLS, not MLF.

25. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they did fix it? good, I only caught the first half of the game..

i originally had that feeling towards the name as well, but its done now.. I guess it's starting to grow on me too