Still Making Drogba Look Shite: Dempsey at Fulham IV [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by DMTerp02, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feel free to change the title if you think it sucks. Didn't see any other particularly good suggestions. ;)

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks good to me.

3. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So...uh, yeah.

4. harkes6

harkes6 Member

Apr 24, 2007
    san francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do we have to number our posts, like in the adu thread?

5. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    hopefully Dempsey finds his way in to the starting 11 as a mid-fielder but he looks like an outsider for me right know

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Do shiites dress or look in particular ways?

7. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched Fulham's games so far this season. I really do not think Dempsey is an outsider; Mark Hughes just does not know where to play him yet. Looks like they are going to have the outside midfielders crash and cross vs. having the outside midfielders cut inside around the 18. I'm not a big fan of Mark Hughes over emphasis on wingers who crash, especially when Fulham lacks in the big strong forward department.

If things continue to be so traditional and direct then Clint needs to say goodbye in January, because that certainly does not fit him. So far, the team seems to have continue the style Hodgson installed. Tough situation for Dempsey, but maybe he can adapt his crossing game just like he adapted his long range shooting.

8. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=822757&sec=england&cc=5901

Henry denies Zamora intent, criticises Dempsey

"It was disappointing. I was having a go at Clint and he was having a go at me. I don't want to hear from another professional that I have gone out to do somebody. That wasn't the case. I am sure if you have seen it, it was a fair tackle and I have tried to win the ball."

Not strictly related to Clint, but sooner or later, you have to take intent out of the equation and punish people for just making reckless tackles.

9. Riben

Riben Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Miami
    i still dont get the title

10. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The Fulham faithful's song for Clint Dempsey.

He scores with his left
    He scores with his right
    That boy Clint Dempsey
    Makes Drogba Look Like Shite.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    that would be extrememly difficult to do, if he's not in the lineup.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Isn't it "Shyte"?

13. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an extremely reckless tackle. He scissored him. That's when legs get broken.

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports are the Zamora will be out 5 months. It does put Clint in an excellent position as he's both their best healthy option as target striker and a good pick in attack if Fulham goes 4-2-3-1 behind EJ.

15. jdiris

jdiris Member

Jul 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Andy Johnson set to come back soon? Thought I heard something during the last match, but not sure if that was back to training or back to games.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the EJ thread someone said he will likely be back in October.

17. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nope.

18. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dempsey's whiteboard and performance eval [R]

Here's my performance eval and whiteboard for Clint Dempsey today

This Saturday’s individual performance whiteboard and breakdown features American international and Fulham workhorse, Clint Dempsey.

The title of ‘hero’ for the Texan at this point in his career seems passe, but it was once again another heroic performance displayed by the Cottager, as his lone goal saved the day for Fulham.

Fulham coach, Mark Hughes, called Dempsey’s number against Blackburn Rovers to fill the void of star striker, Bobby Zamora, who is out indefinitely with a serious injury.

Due to Zamora’s absence, Hughes must find another physical target forward who can use his physique and toughness to win 50/50 challenges and frustrate defenders for 90 minutes. Dempsey got this call at Ewood Park, and the results were, let’s say, mixed.

The image below is a whiteboard of all of Dempsey’s touches (once again minus 50/50 challenges).

[​IMG]
    click here for a bigger image

His stats are as follows:

• 20 passes completed, 3 incompleted for a percentage of 87%
    • 7 giveaways (either poor traps or dispossessed in another fashion)
    • 3 fouls committed
    • 2 fouls drawn
    • 3 headers won
    • 1 pass intercepted
    • 1 incomplete cross
    and of course

• 1 goal scored

Dempsey was always going to have to work hard in this game to fill the shoes of Zamora. Dempsey is not a true center forward, a position which requires brute strength and height in order to trap long balls, shield the ball from defenders, and win headers.

The yank, though slightly taller than Zamora, struggled in the air as he only won 3 headers above his defenders; the physical Samba and Nelson. Dempsey particularly struggled while shielding the ball at his feet, many times being forced off the ball or into cheap giveaways. Being the weaker of his match-ups, he gave the ball away 7 times. It must be mentioned that giveaways are common of target forwards, as they are usually the furthest man up field, stranded with little to no support. This was the case with Dempsey up top.

Clint was active on both left and right sides of the pitch today, being tasked with going to find the ball on whichever side of the field found possession.

Despite being frustrated by poor and infrequent service from The Cottagers’ midfield, Dempsey once again proved why he is such an asset to his team. In the second half, a beautiful left foot cross into the box from Mexican Salcido found Dempsey, who classically headed it into the corner of the net to tie the game. It is commendable for Dempsey, who was defended well in the air throughout the game, to beat Nelson for the header goal, showing once again that effort and determination over 90 minutes can often be the difference maker in a game.

All in all, it was a tough game for Dempsey. The Fulham central midfielders were content to play deep defensively and send route one balls to the target forward. Duff, on the wing, many times lost the ball, making it tough for Clint to get any meaningful looks on goal. The end result for Dempsey was only one shot on goal (his header goal), many giveaways, and a lot of hard earned touches. Had it not been for his goal, I would have graded Dempsey’s performance in an unfamiliar position with a C. Because of his point saving goal, he gets a B.

Fulham is going to struggle all year in finding the perfect replacement for Zamora, if they ever do at all. Mark Hughes may just be reserved to using multiple players to cover up the holes.

At least he knows Dempsey has Zamora’s heart and grit.

4 people repped this.
  19. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Re: Dempsey's whiteboard and performance eval

Yarg, I forgot the [R] again.

I suppose if you're entering a thread titled "Dempsey's whiteboard and performance eval" you most likely understand that you'll hear about the game...

20. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The guardian has a chalkboard option on its website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

It differs from yours, I have no idea which is more accurate, though broadly speaking they are pretty similar. Its generated for every team and every player in the EPL.

21. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Ah that's dope! Yup their stats for Dempsey look similar. Thanks :)

1 person likes this.
  22. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Dempsey's whiteboard and performance eval [R]

Must spread rep. Thanks again, Qamle. You're fast becoming one of my favorite posters here.

23. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First league goal yesterday on a pretty header against Blackburn.

24. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    And an excellent cross from Salcido.

I think we might see Clint catch fire in the coming weeks.

25. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    pretty sure its shyt. like all good 4 letter words...they have 4 letters.