Still Crazy After All These Years: Creationists Keep Trying

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Dyvel, Dec 21, 2010.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Dunno as it ever occurred to me to cut any slack for food mythology... but I'll tell ya, that Dr Bronner's Peppermint Oil Soap, that stuff'll cure your hangover in the morning, no magic required.

Just don't try to make any sense of the label.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  2. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I know more right-leaning people that go to Whole Foods than I do left-leaning ones, seems odd that the article makes it sound like WF only serves liberals or something. It serves people with (possibly too much ;)) money.
    They do seem to have a great beer section, one of them nearby even fills growlers.
    The closest to a WF-like thing I go to is a Wegmans (mainly for beer and chocolate cake )

5. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    They do use rat labor & their CEO like most is hard against unionizing.

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    All One!

Really though, that's some good shit for so many things.

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone interested in the deal with Dr. Bronner, the world's #1 eradicator of ignorance did a nice article about him in the Straight Dope 26 years ago.

ceezmad repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Parks, creationism, nutjobs, fVcked...

Finally a thread that matched my search...

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...-endures-flood-of-criticism-loses-tax-breaks/

In 2010, an evangelical Christian group called Answers in Genesis (AiG) began work on a proposed theme park called Ark Encounter, a massive Bible-themed attraction with plans to feature a 500-foot-long wooden replica of Noah’s Ark, a reconstruction of the Tower of Babel, and possibly even dinosaurs, among other exhibits. Although the park is explicitly religious, it enjoyed a deluge of support from the state of Kentucky when it was announced in 2010, with Governor Steve Beshear (D) holding a press conference to endorse the park as a job magnet and the Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet initially pledging $43 million in tax breaks for the project’s $173 million construction plan. That amount was eventually reconfigured to $18 million for the project’s “first phase”, and government officials maintained that the park should be treated the same as any other large project in the state — so long as AiG promised not to pick and choose who they hire based on religion.

So clearly Mr. Ham lived up to expectations...

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noah's Ark, if they want to keep it "realistic" they would hire a bunch of Jewish peopole, right?

10. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    When they want tax rebates they are a tourist site. When they want to restrict hiring they are a religious institution. Whichever, depends on the 'right' answer.

11. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh look, another scientific attempt to divine (pun intended) the origin of life on Earth.

To recreate the conditions thought to exist on Earth when life began, scientists used a giant laser to ignite chemical reactions that converted a substance found on the early Earth into the molecular building blocks of DNA, the blueprint for life.

The findings not only offer support for theories of how life first formed, but could also aid in the search for signs of life elsewhere in the universe, the researchers said.

12. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A safe, happy and rational New Year to all!

[​IMG]

ceezmad, Dyvel and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, but I'm sure the proper translation is asteroids, not stars. The ancients who put God's word on papyrus didn't know the difference and God allowed their error to confuse the heathen.

You know, the unbelieving heathen dinosaurs were also laughing, until that day those damn rocks fell out of the sky and landed on earth and Christanosaurus Rex returned.

AfrcnHrbMan and luftmensch repped this.
  14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The literal 'word of God'. Translated, redacted, voted on by a committee, edited, re-translated, re-redacted, re-re translated, voted upon again, and again, and again...but still the literal 'word of God'.

15. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Everyone knows that God spoke in American.

dapip and Justin Z repped this.
  16. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of the funniest kinds of statements i've ever come across is included in the referenced article. it is quoted below:

it has been generally considered to be an established fact that Miller and Urey were completely wrong about the conditions "thought to be present". in addition, they isolated the "sludge" they collected so that it would not be destroyed by the oxygenated environment present.

it seems to be just a little bit of a stretch, though i suppose it is possible, that the conditions that were created by asteroid bombardment were similar to a giant laser.

now, on the other hand, God is just like a giant laser.

17. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    This is sig worthy.

Justin Z repped this.
  18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe that explains the whole burning bush thing. :D

19. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm missing your point, or maybe you've missed the point of the statement. All this is saying, to me anyway, is that there is a history of trying to figure out what the conditions were like on the early Earth, and Urey-Miller was the first attempt.

Perhaps I should not be surprised that's what you microfocused on, like God's laser, in this article about science's continuing efforts to actually figure the universe out.

What's actually funny though, and what you have always completely missed in your crusade against science and reason, is that just because these weren't the conditions on the early Earth, doesn't mean they haven't been similar to the conditions on thousands of other worlds. And as we all know, the experiment produced amino acids. In other words, there are tons of different ways the building blocks of life might come to form. That's broadband radiation, Stilt, spread across a huge spectrum--the exact opposite of a laser.

Pønch, crazypete13 and taosjohn repped this.
  20. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have no crusade against science and reason. don't insult my viewpoint if you don't understand it. i think we should reject bad conclusions where scientists have gone amiss. Urey-Miller was based on a flawed notion and any conclusions about how life may have originated ON EARTH must be rejected since that experiment cannot correlate positively w/ what is now known about Earth's atmosphere X bya.

i don't know whether you are an advocate of Panspermia or whatever life-origin theory that may be held in various circles, but all of them are no more or less plausible ( assuming some degree of rationality ) than the notion that an Intelligent Designer created Life ( assuming that because the existence of an Intelligent Designer makes some intuitive sense, it isn't an irrational view. i say "intuitive sense" b/c it is normal for complex material things to be designed or created. )

how life may have developed on other worlds may be relevant to our world, or it may be completely irrelevant. the newest find on Mars, that there are signs of organic matter, may or may not have any correspondence to Earth.

it is the tactic of a group of evolutionary biologist to ridicule anyone who does not subscribe to that theory because evolution is considered a scientific fact, despite a number of what i take to be completely reasonable questions that such scientists either refuse to acknowledge as germane or claim to be trivial.

for example, there is a video of the "evolution" of the eye by the famous Richard Dawkins that purports to explain how the eye developed, but there is no reasonable explanation of why certain optical structures are as they exist, for example, the way that blood "nourishes" the retina, from behind. this kind of anomaly is passed off as a quirk of nature.

and that doesn't even touch the surface. the process of sight itself is so complex that imagining that the anatomical structures and the physiological processes developed independently yet came together -- again by a quirk of nature -- is beyond the bounds of credibility. a totally undirected process cannot be expected to produce such results.

21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    You must have had a bit too much of the grape. That's what we do here. Insults and misunderstandings. Buckle up! :devilish:

Justin Z and taosjohn repped this.
  22. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    This is basically a cynical six paragraph defense of the scientific method you've posted.

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The whole thing about the rift between science and religion is due to an ancient misunderstanding. God actually loved science and reason. The problem emerged due to a mistranslation of his words.

When God put Adam and Even in Eden he told them, "Hey, you can eat from any tree you want, but if you eat the fruit of the tree of, you know, those bright poisoned berries, you're gonna die."

Unfortunately, the translator didn't get the nuances of God's language right, and translated God's speech"the tree of, you know, those bright poisoned berries" into "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil", and that's what went on the record. Since that time, religious people have always hated science and reason.

Justin Z repped this.
  24. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca
    i really feel bad for people like Stilton.

Justin Z repped this.
  25. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not an advocate of anything. I'm perfectly comfortable stating I don't know. But I want to find out. Urey-Miller, while flawed, was an attempt to find out. Intelligent design is not an attempt to find out. It's an attempt to cram an ad hoc just-so story written by Bronze Age goat herders into the available data, which is why it fails miserably.

When you have a test that could falsify intelligent design, let us know. Until then, it's not science, and is indeed a crusade against science and reason.