Still Crazy After All These Years: Creationists Keep Trying

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by Dyvel, Dec 21, 2010.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So you think maybe the idea about Satan confusing us could be a variation of David Hume's mistrust of the senses? I didn't think of it that way.

It was tongue-in-cheek, of course, but actually it is a theory that many Christians in the US do take seriously, believe it or not.

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know it is, and whether you think of it one way or not it is just a variation on solipsism. In the end, if you think it through you still end up with what benztown said.

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    It's a theory which might be taken seriously, but only by people who shouldn't be.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent piece up until that line. :rolleyes:

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy has no business being a [science] teacher. Those future fry cooks would be better off learning the subject matter from Wikipedia. Jesus...no pun intended...even his brief mention of creationism was weak.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True, true. But come to think of it, the argument about the devil confusing us does actually make more logical sense than the attempt to try to argue against evolution based on the actual science.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Here's one more example I just encountered:

Fish in polluted waters have evolved into toxin-resistant super mutants

But I guess god could have put that gene there in order to preserve his creation, right?

Oh wait...

I guess it wasn't god after all...or maybe he's just very fond of the Atlantic tomcod. The other animals? Not so much...

8. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJVjTh98aHU"]YouTube - Evolution CAN Increase Information (Classroom Edition)[/ame]

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The incomplete fossil database is one of my fav creationist strawmen

The non existence of something where you wouldn't expect it to be - proving that it never existed.

If only more monkeys had died in the swamp :D

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I told you before I think but there are some archeologists who found dinosaur bones in a village in Holland's bible belt (yes we have one too) and the village is now forcing them to add to their survey that how old these bones are is just a matter of opinion. It's hilarious.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Especially the last kid with the statement that "we didn't like evolve from anything, that doesn't make any sense. I mean, how can like, an African-American person evolve from a white person? We're different skin."

Please tell me that this is not a public school.

12. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dayton public schools in Ohio. You have to understand that for the most part, these people live in rather insular worlds. Many will escape this and be fine. It's the ones that don't that are scary. Hell, at one point I thought Joseph Smith was a swell guy and that black people were inferior because my church took so long to recognize them as full members. So there's hope. Just don't expect them to get a straight answer from that teacher. He's already lost.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'm convinced, evolution is crap.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCiStLKzivM"]YouTube - Disproving Evolution is easy[/ame]

14. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Now imagine his reaction when somebody tries to explain to him that light skin evolved from dark skin...:eek:

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Originally Posted by JeremyEritrea [​IMG]
    Wow. Especially the last kid with the statement that "we didn't like evolve from anything, that doesn't make any sense. I mean, how can like, an African-American person evolve from a white person? We're different skin."

Please tell me that this is not a public school.

Ha! if he only knew that we light skin people actually evolved from dark skin people, I guess that he also hates the Idea that we are all African!

16. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    They were in Ohio? The kids all had such heavy accents, I assumed the school was in a southern state.

17. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pennsyltucky is a southern state emeritus.

18. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I poked around a bit and I think the school is probably in Dayton, Tennessee, because that is the town where the Scopes Monkey Trial was held.

19. ogopogo

ogopogo Member

Oct 13, 2005
    Lake Okanagan
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Actually, the quote was "We're different skEEn"!

It's not Dayton, Ohio, they're not that bad over there... It's Dayton, Tennessee. I also did a bit of digging, and this is Rhea County High School in Evensville, which is a suburb of Dayton... and this is right in the middle of Appalachia country.

Like wallacegrommit pointed out, it's where the Scopes Trial took place.

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So things have actually regressed there in the last 85 years. Way to go, Volunteers!

21. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  22. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    This is an adaptation, not species to species evolution or are you arguing that this fish can no longer re-produce with the unmodified fish? Creationist do not claim there is not genectic adaptations in nature.

23. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    It's evolution. The difference between this and speciation is merely a matter of time. And no matter how creationists define "information", this is certainly a case where it increased.

When creationists claim that "adaptions" can happen, but speciation can't, then they are essentially arguing that given enough time, you can walk from your apartment to the bakery, but not from New York to Chicago.

Plus, it's not as if we don't have observed examples of speciations, in fact I did post an example for it.

24. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart