Steven Alzate news and comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Tio Nicci, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    probably injured himself again

2. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Alzate started 90 minutes yesterday for EFL cup against Swansea.

After not playing any minutes from the last 3 league matches.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Finally got some playing time in the Premier League as a sub...
    ...but then got an ankle injury and had to leave after only 20 minutes.

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    (Channels Doogs) typical! What did I tell you about these people?

5. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    crzdcolombian repped this.
  6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Really bad luck for him, he was just getting some playing time with Brighton and apparently was gonna get the call from Rueda when he got this injury, now Brighton have Mwepu, Gros and Bissouma, Lallana all healthy so its gonna be tough for him to get playing time. The fullbacks are also healthy which hurts him since Gros and Mwepu were sometime filling in there meaning more of the CM's would play. Unlucky timing for him and for us, will be tough for him to break back into Brighton and us after a long lay off.

7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Alzate starts against Chelsea, 30 minutes in and they're down 1-0 but he looks good so far, always looking to receive the ball from teammates and is comfortable on the ball moving out of pressure abasing a good pressing team. We really would be better off with him starting alongside Barrios then Lerma or Uribe for me, need the profile of someone who wants possession deep and can operate under pressure while also defending when needed.

HomietheClown repped this.
  8. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Alzate goes 90 and Brighton tie deservedly against Chelsea. Nothing spectacular but solid in possession and busted his ass to defend and get up and down the field and was disciplined positionally. He needs to be on our roster, he's not a super star but he looks to combine in close areas and is always making progressive passes into the feet of the players ahead of him. Very useful player and if we want to progress from the ass soccer we've been playing we need that profile in midfield beside Barrios, either Alzate or Cantillo for me need to be playing and linking the play from defense to attack.

HomietheClown, Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    It just sucks that he only plays for Brighton once a month, if he's lucky.

That match when he subbed in against Chile made me a believer. But you can't get on a manager's case for not calling someone who barely ever plays.

pepinointer repped this.
  10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah he's been unlucky getting injured right when it looked like he was gonna get some playing time. Can't really blame the manager when he's not playing no, but at this point I think a competent manager would recognize the major weakness of our midfield having a lack of guys who can progress the ball and want to get the ball at their feet. I think given that glaring weakness we gotta make a bit of a stretch in that position, also hopefully give Cantillo more of a chance as he was really good when he played.

Azucarero repped this.
  11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he's a true colombian after all.

12. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Somehow Alzate gets the call and Cantillo doesn't, right when the latter put in a good showing. There's no rhyme or reason to Rueda's decisions at all...

Glad Alzate got called though.

13. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is Cantillo injured? I thought he was that's why he didn't get called. We really need a CM.... WTF not call 10 of them if none so far have worked for Rueda.

14. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From the highlights against Chelsea my thoughts are that he played the way we expect Uribe to play for us on the NT. Call him up. Beggars can’t be choosers

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Going to be interesting to see what he can bring to the team next week.

16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Homeboy needs to get OUT of Brighton asap because Caicedo just leapfrogged him and isn't going to be sitting anytime soon. Between the Ecuadorian and Macalister, he won't be getting minutes and he could prob get time if he went elsewhere.

Azucarero repped this.
  17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    It's amazing to me that they basically discarded Caicedo for a year. But its not just him, Mwepu and Bissouma are ballers too, Alzate is a good player but for pressing and box to box those 3 guys offer a lot pressing that Alzate can't. That midfield is stacked, and Gross, Lallana and Macalister all more attacking options competing as well. He needs to go somewhere and play, not sure where but he's deserving to play.

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is he hurt? Don't see him in the squad for their opener today...

I really wish he'd go somewhere he can play regularly.

19. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Also - Caicedo is looking incredible, doesn't seem this situation is going to change.

(And Ecuador may be a problem as this kid is only 20 and toying with United in Manchester)

20. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    when are the next WCQ's? 2023 or 2024?

21. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Got a start today and scored his team's 2nd gol, a real golazo. Colombians making the most of the EFL cup today.

ryu79 repped this.
  22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wish he'd go on loan to play more regularly. He'd be perfect for Atalanta with them having lost Freuler.

Azucarero repped this.
  23. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    That sucks, really though his level is higher then West Brom if he can't get minutes in Brighton or another EPL club the guy has the right game to go to Italy or Spain and do his thing there. Can't really understand why Lallana plays over him at Brighton, Moises I get but Alzate really should be and needs to play more.

25. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    100%. He'd crush in Germany or Italy. Brighton just happen to have a stacked midfield...

I was surprised they decided to loan to West Brom to begin with... But even worse that this become a lost season for him.