Steve Nicol Interview: The Sunday Times (UK)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Sep 17, 2003.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Didn't see this included in the daily clips in the past week, but it's certainly worth including. I couldn't find a working link so the full text is provided below:

Revolution Man: Interview - Steve Nicol
    By Jonathan Northcroft, 7 September 2003
    The Sunday Times (UK)
    (c) 2003 Times Newspapers Limited. All rights reserved
    (C) Times Newspapers Ltd, 2003

"When Alan Hansen, Kenny Dalglish and Graeme Souness were in their pomp at Liverpool, the three Scots called themselves The Master Race. Then, so they would joke, Steve Nicol spoiled it all by coming along.

The younger Nicol was the victim of affectionate teasing by the trio, and the laughs they had at his expense were legion. Souness recalled one particular example in his 1985 autobiography, No Half Measures. "The story got back about his (Steve's) exploits in a chemist's while on a shopping trip with his wife Eleanor," Souness wrote. "One of these players who can have a little problem with weight, 'Chipsy' jumped on the machine only to see the needle swing past his required weight to more than a stone in excess. He demanded to know if the scales were wrong, failing to understand the shop assistant's negative reply, until his long-suffering wife pointed out he was still carrying the shopping."

Four English League championship gongs and one European Cup winner's medal - as well as 27 Scotland caps and an English Football Writers' Player of the Year award - meant others took Nicol seriously. Now he is trying to build on the respect he has been gaining as a manager in the US where he was named 2002 Major League Soccer coach of the year for his achievements with New England Revolution. It is proving to be a fight, however.

It would appear they have the 'dreaded vote of confidence' in US football too, and Nicol was given one before last Sunday when his team went into a game against second-placed Chicago Fire on the back of five defeats and four draws, the worst run in their (albeit short) history. They turned the tide with a 5-1 win but Sunil Gulati, director of Kraft Soccer, which owns the New England franchise, says he will reserve judgment until the end of the season on whether to take up a one year option to extend Nicol's contract.

"We certainly are pleased with what Steve's done overall ...although everybody's performance is judged by the results," Gulati said prior to the Chicago match. It was very different last year when Nicol's superiors were rushing to give him a new deal. The Scot had hauled New England from the bottom of the league all the way to overtime in the championship final before losing to LA Galaxy, having been given the job midway through the season. "We're a better side now than last season," Nicol said, "but we've been suffering because we're young. After five or six weeks of playing well and losing, I kept telling the players to keep doing what they were doing and they believed in that. We didn't go crazy when we were losing and we won't go crazy just because we've won."

Two defeats in New England's slump were in overtime and another, a 4-2 loss, came about after New England had led 2-0 with eight minutes of normal time remaining, and 2-1 as the game entered stoppage time. The peaks and troughs of football - and life - are something in which Nicol is well versed. In 1989, he received his Footballer of the Year accolade, and Liverpool won the FA Cup, but it was also the year of Hillsborough, and the drama of losing the League title to Arsenal after Michael Thomas scored in the 94th minute of the final game of the season. New England still have an outside chance of following their dismal run with a late charge, just like last season, into the MLS knockout stages. Today they travel to San Jose, the leading team in the League, sitting three spots off a play-off place.

Few Anfield colleagues imagined the laidback Nicol would end up in management.

Nor, for a time, did he. "At Liverpool you did what you were told and as a younger player I was only interested in what the coaches wanted us to do. I never wondered about why. I didn't start thinking about that aspect until my last couple of years at the club. It just creeps up on you. Everybody's great on the team bus after a defeat at saying what the side should have done, but all of a sudden I found myself analysing things seriously."

His first taste of tracksuited life came quicker than planned. Having left Anfield in 1995, after 14 years there, Nicol joined Notts County and suddenly found himself in temporary charge of the club after Howard Kendall was sacked. County had no money, a hotchpotch squad and a dubious set of characters in the boardroom.

"One of the strangest things that happened to me was going from Liverpool to County. At Anfield I learnt everything about how a football club should be run. At County I discovered exactly how not to do things. They were eye-opening experiences of opposite sorts."

From Notts County, Nicol went to Sheffield Wednesday and then Doncaster Rovers, just as the Yorkshire club dropped out of the Football League. As a player he could not go much lower. It was time for a new start. "I was looking for coaching opportunities and there was nothing that appealed in Britain. When I was asked if I fancied the US, I thought it would be a good experience for me and my family."

The proposal had come via his agent, John Kerr, an American who had played for Millwall and Portsmouth, and the job available was that of player-coach of the Boston Bulldogs, who were playing in what amounts to America's Third Division.

Promotion quickly followed, and at the start of 2002, New England brought Nicol on to their coaching staff to assist Fernando Clavijo, whom he ultimately replaced.

His principles are straightforward. "The biggest influence on me is obviously Liverpool, and under Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan, you grew up being told the simple things are the most effective. We'd all love to see 40-yard overhead kicks landing in the top corner but passing is what wins matches. A football team that can control possession of the ball will always have a good chance of winning any game.

"I ask my players to pass it, get the ball wide, get it into the box, and keep working. People always mention the work ethic as if it's something amazing but it's pretty basic. If a team doesn't work it has no chance."

Just as Paisley sifted through the Ayr United youth ranks to discover the teenaged Nicol, so he has demonstrated an ability to spot gems. The hat-trick hero of the 5-1 triumph was Chris Brown, a 26-year-old journeyman striker signed two weeks earlier from Kansas City Wizards, who had spent much of the season on the bench for his previous club and arrived with a record of 10 goals in 104 MLS games.

Taylor Twellman, the young US international who is Nicol's top scorer, was injured as was Joe-Max Moore, the only New England player familiar to British fans.

"The MLS is probably on the same level as the middle of England's Division One.

The top players could play in the Premiership but your average ones would struggle. But football here is getting stronger and stronger," Nicol said. "The majority of reporters I speak to from the UK don't really know what's going on here. After all, the US are ranked ninth in the world. England are eighth. There still seems to be an impression (that) America's a place for old stars to finish up but if you look at the foreign players we have now, they're not flash guys.

Even Hristo Stoichkov (of DC United) has come over and had to work very hard."

The MLS's problem, he says, is the number of top Americans - Tim Howard joining Manchester United being the latest - who move abroad. Other difficulties include the travelling between games (the way to San Jose is 3,200 miles from New England's home town of Foxboro) and the lack of purpose-built football stadiums.

"We get 10,000-12,000 fans at home matches but we play at the Gillette Stadium, which holds 68,000, so it's difficult to generate an atmosphere. Dallas Burn, Chicago Fire and Columbus Crew all have their own 25,000-30,000 grounds and they are really taking off."

Nicol has no plans to take off for the foreseeable future. If New England extend his contract, he would be happy to stay. Eleanor, and children Michael, 18, and Katy, 16, are settled at the family home in Hopkinton, Massachusetts. "I'm getting my green card," he said. "That's the major thing. That means that if we want to stay here, we can. Katy's into her horses and Michael's going to college to play American football. He's a big bastard - 6ft 3in and 250lbs - and he plays tight end."

He has "not even thought about" returning to British football. "If I got a job there I'd have as much chance of getting the kids to come with me as the Pope has of turning Protestant."

Still only 41, there is plenty of time. Dalglish is out of management and Hansen won't be budged from the television studio - "he always had more sense than the rest of us" - but who knows? Maybe, in a Premiership dugout, Nicol will be able to get his own back on Souness one day."

- end -

2. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Very good stuff. Love Nicol. If only he coached some other team in MLS....

3. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Magpie:

can you spell "copyright infringement?"

4. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic stuff. Great insight.

Especially liked the part aboput his profound influences, per 'the Liverpool way'... "the most simple things are the best" (or words to that effect).

"We'd all love to see 40-yard overhead kicks landing in the top corner but passing is what wins matches. A football team that can control possession of the ball will always have a good chance of winning any game.

"I ask my players to pass it, get the ball wide, get it into the box, and keep working. People always mention the work ethic as if it's something amazing but it's pretty basic. If a team doesn't work it has no chance."

Keep it simple, keep it basic, and therein lies your best chance to get the best results.

Not just a lesson to be applied to soccer coaching, but in terms of all levels of management in all walks of life as well, IMO.

5. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Many, many thanks Magpie. The man's a gem, no doubt. And, finally, he said it after years of people trying to pry it out of him. Mid Divvy One. At this point, that's just fine. Look at the wage bills in mid Div I and you'll find a significant markup. We are doing quite well thank you.

Stevie, stay forever.

JIM DOW

6. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mid Divvy One may indeed be a fair assessment of the MLS teams but Nicol's comment was about the players as well. Tim Howard's quick transition to EPL makes Nicol's point. This is indeed good news for MLS. If this trend continues then it will only be a matter of time until the bottom is raised enough to make the whole league on par with other First Division leagues around the world. Granted, of course, those other leagues don't take all our talent first!

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Magpie: can you spell 'copyright infringement?'"

Let me see....

c-o-p-y-r-i-g-h-t.... i-n-f-r-i-n-g-e-m-e-n-t

;-)

Hey, I did my best to try and find this story on-line, only able to reproduce it courtesy of an archived version through Factiva/DJI. If you or someone else can pull up an active link I'd be happy to pull the full text.

The Magpie

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Magpie's going to jail
    The Magpie's going to jail
    He's off to meet Bubba
    Cuz the Magpie's going to jail.

;)

9. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA

Tell that to the judge. She'll be amused, but hardly sympathetic.

10. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    We'll have to remember that chant for tomorrow night.

Nice article. I love how "Chipsy" refers to his son as a "big bastard".

Amy

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "Tell that to the judge. She'll be amused, but hardly sympathetic..."

[​IMG]

... do that again young man and I'll force you to listen to John Meterperrel commentate a 24-hour curling tournament!

:)

The Magpie

12. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    You must have gotten off lightly, she could have sentenced you to listen to him do a Rev game or, worse, 24 /7 WEEI.

JIM DOW

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, don't you have any faith in the American judicial system? One call to a lawyer and this is the result:

Magpie’s out of jail,
    Magpie’s out on bail,
    Magpie’s out of jail,
    Magpie can not fail

He copied some news
    Judge wasn’t amused
    And threw away the key
    Though he once was a fool
    Now he’s learned the rules
    And now Magpie is free

Magpie’s out of jail,
    Magpie’s out on bail,
    Magpie’s out of jail,
    Magpie can not fail

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Strangely enough I can imagine hearing Monty sing this... it's not a good thought mind you ;-)

The Magpie

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's printed and in the car... ;)

Magpie, will you be at the game tonight?

16. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    all right.....NOW you've gone too far! leave curling outta' this. until you've cleverly drawn the hammer around a couple guards (one on the hog line and one that's biting the 8)....over treacherous "swingy ice"...in order perform a tap back double take-out (with no backing i might add)....which ultimately leaves your rock sitting right on house's button to take the end for your rink.......well.....you clearly don't know how exciting curling is! i suggest you all get out to the broomstones curling club (wayland) open house in october to find a way to occupy your "off season".
    :D

by the way, if he ever did curling and said something like "she's put the hammer in the slammer!".....he'd find himself with a 40 lb granite "rock in his dock"! and, that would be from a "curling mom".

......oh and curling is scottish, btw. huh, maybe i need to talk stevie into joining up.
    ;)

17. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone ever told you you know more about curling than Kovalenko know's about breaking legs?

No? Well let me be the first. :)

18. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    well....i guess i'll take that as a compliment. however, i'll know that i've reached the pinnacle of curling knowledge when someone says that "you know more about curling that Razov knows about pulling hair and girl slapping". Yeah, that's what i'm aimin' for. Ahhhh, one day......

p.s. for those whose interest has been peaked with all this juicy curling talk.
    Broomstones Curling Open House: Oct 17-19, Wayland.

hey, its got an in-house bar!
    rule of thumb: drink 1 hr for every hr curled.

c'mon mont. i know you're itchin' to travel the world following the US curling team. my god, the u.s. women pulled the "miracle on ice II" when they upset the canuck-itas last year! yes....i see you in exotic locales, like utica. with your flag and curling scarf, insulting 300 lb canadian miners...chanting "if you own a muffin pan, you must be a canadian curling fan"....when their ladies get their stones handed to them at "worlds". hey, this is a bigger "cause" than soccer you know.
    :D

19. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry Magpie, ask for a jury of your peers.

[​IMG]