Steve Job's Apple Keynote Speech Today: Iphone, ITV, and more

Discussion in 'Technology' started by dark knight, Aug 30, 2005.

1. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    $499 with 4 gbs and $599 with 8 gbs, both require two year Cingular contract.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Any discount with new contract?

3. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Apple's home page has been updated but I can't get the front page video to load yet.

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    keynote video ready later today
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/keynote/

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  8. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Looks sweeet. I really don't want to switch to Cingular, but that might just force me.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't switch to cingular because we just signed a two year deal with verizon when I bought my wife a pda for christmas. and I don't think we would switch because everybody we know (family, close friends) is on verizon and so we can call each other without using minutes. if we switched our phone bill would go through the roof. :(

but still .... aren't those smaller capacities than the current ipods? I mean, I wouldn't be able to fit most of my music on there.

either way, I'm sure in a year (or two) they'll have a dramatically improved version at a better price.
    Believe me, I'm looking for a reason to switch but right now it'll cost too much money to be practical.

:(

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one early reaction on the iphone:

"My initial reaction is that this product actually lives up to the extensive hype, and I'm not easily impressed," said Avi Greengart, mobile device analyst for the research firm Current Analysis.

also, has anybody heard anything about my digital NetFlix question? I guess it's just pay-per-view, but since I don't have digital cable or satellite I'm SOL. if AppleTv and iTunes let me do this, that would be a selling point. Bye-bye netFlix.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine we'd be getting some new ear buds that let you listen to the ipod and still answer phone calls without swapping things out.

Zune. we hardly knew ya'. now get outta here!

12. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Sure, but an ipod with the new stuff (bluetooth, wifi, bigger screen, touch-screen) that the phone has and bigger capacity will probably be released.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can reasonably assume the next generation iPod will be very similar to the iPhone except for the exclusion of the phone and likely the internet and GPS features. Add 1/8th of an inch to the thickness as well to go with a better battery and 10x the storage.

14. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    I gotta say I am underwhelmed by the TV.... but I am whelmed (not OVERwhelmed, but "whelmed") by the iPhone. #1 reason I won't be getting one: Cingular. It'll be Cingular only for a year or two and I can't stand them. Maybe by the 3rd generation if they manage to partner with XM and Verizon... then it'll be everything I need in a device and I will buy one.

Till then, enjoy!

PS -- I can't believe they didn't stream it live like they always have. It was funny watching all the Woz heads here having multiple orgasms every time they hit Refresh on Safari.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bluetooth? A cellphone I used to have came with a car kit that had a microphone about halfway up the wire leading to the earbud. While this was a far cry from Bluetooth, there's definitely methods available.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    One question I have about this is video quality - my impression is that Itunes movies are more in the VCD rather than DVD zone.

17. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's only the first generation, so who knows what to expect. When the RAZR came out, it was Cingular only, now there's at least two or three companies that have them.

But why would Apple partner with XM when they sell music through iTunes and you can save XM music on your XM player? Doesn't sound like a winning deal to me.

18. Kryptonite

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my initial reaction. It would also be interesting to see if there's any quality loss from iPod onto large SD TVs, and if so, how much.

Now, if only they could create a method to have the DVD extras (alternate commentary, sub-titles, deleted scenes, chapters, etc) come to Itunes movies.

19. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The iPhone has bluetooth? I must have missed that in what I've read.

20. JeffS

JeffS New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cameron Park, CA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I don't own any Apple products, I purchased Apple stock last year at $66 a share.

With todays announcement, Apple is up above $90 a share.

Sweet!

Maybe I will purchase an iPod Nano or something.

I have no real use for the iPhone, as I prefer my phone to be simple.

I also have no real use for a Mac, as I use Linux on PCs, and get a similar experience (with newbie oriented desktop Linux distros), for a fraction of the cost.

However, AppleTV looks promising. If I can get streaming media from a Mac to my TV, and be able to pick and choose content at will (for a price obviously), I might very well be interested.

21. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Apple Keynote Today at 12PM EST: IPod Cell Phone?

Agreed I'd get an iPhone, but bloody Verizon better sell these things cause they are so lame with their phones.

22. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    They are coming out with 8 GB version in June, so I think we could expect 15 GB version around Thanksgiving. Cingular probably paid a lot to get that exlusive contract. But man, I really don't want their service.

23. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but I hope they at least make a go-phone or something I'm a desperate kid who loves apple :D

24. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Why not? Don't know much about it, but I think it's the best for if you are traveling out of the country.

25. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? T-Mobile can work just as well if you are doing international travel.