Steve 'Fresh Money' Ryan navigates through hockey's big risorgimento

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by the shelts, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    (sorta OT....apologies. Just Steve Ryan did have a major role in indoor soccer over the 90's and 00's)Sometime over the last year a plan has been cemented by the NHL and AHL, other minor leagues have bought into the plan and are now contributing. The short version is Minor Hockey is going to be revamped, reshuffled and remixed. One of the main guys leading the whole reorganization is none other than Steve 'Fresh Money' Ryan, head of the Central Hockey League.

A California based AHL division, a lot of trading of franchise rights and charters, teams switching leagues and an entirely new cost model is being employed. One of the main worries has been anti trust laws although that has now been figured out.

Fresh Money is on his way to Wichita in the next few weeks and has to figure out some things there. My friend who deals with him a lot says he has nothing but good things to say about the indoor game and has kept himself abreast of the MASL.

2. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    *spit take*

3. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    Regarding Steve 'Fresh Money' Ryan's current gig... The CHL is down to 9 teams with 2 of them very shaky (Denver and Brampton).

And to keep this indoor (er, arena) soccer related, Andrew Haines' St. Charles Chill CHL team just folded after only one season... (I know, shocking!)

4. spinman

spinman Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The St Louis Chill is owned by the same ownership group out of Texas as the Missouri Mavericks. Not Andrew Haines.

kenntomasch and NSL2004 repped this.
  5. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No the Chill were not owned by Andrew Haines. The Chill were the Laredo Bucks CHL franchise who moved to the Family arena, concurrently starting a Junior team in Laredo. They had some connections with Bart Hull (former CFL player and Brett Hull's brother) who ran the team, Jamie Rivers ex NHL and Jeff Brown ex NHL.

Haines had nothing to do with the Chill. I've worked with Andrew a few times and he was always a straight shooter with me. Andrew started up the Mid Atlantic Hockey League which he sold before it collapsed. Sadly, because of the Mid Atlantic league, Haines is incorrectly lumped in with Jim "Cashless" Cashman who has an interesting career in setting up low level hockey leagues. My opinion of Cashless will remain off this board.

While the CHL is operating at 9 teams, they are absolutely a part of the minor league hockey reboot. The NHL, AHL and ECHL are also on board. Right now they are having lively discussions with what to do about the states of Washington and Oregon. Some want the Western Hockey League teams to stay put and some want the new league to encompass the Pacific Northwest and BC. Fresh Money is very well versed on what is going on.

6. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    And b/c I'm from Cleveland, I'm going to get the $#!+end of the stick......as usual.

7. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Normally I would agree with you. The Lake Erie Monsters have good attendance so it'll be looked at as a Tier 1 market, however to your point, there is a general feeling in hockey that Cleveland is a great market on paper but is a disaster in real life. The Cleveland Barons proved that point well.

The way I understand it, this reorganization will have a lot to do with where the owner wants his team to be placed, rather than the demographics. Travel, costs and rivalries will also be strongly considered.

8. thejamootz

thejamootz New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Pickerington, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Haines's reputation also has something to do with (in no particular order) the AIFA, AIFL, the creditors he left hanging in Canton while he was running the Canton Legends, the GPBL, the UIFL, the Pennsylvania Roar, the Ultimate Baseball League, and XLIF.

But the MAHL is in there somewhere too.

kenntomasch repped this.
  9. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I remember - Steve "Fresh Money" Ryan was commissioner when the WISL and NPSL "merged" to form the MISL v2.0. I was wondering why the mere mention of his name was making me feel nauseous...

10. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Arizona Sundogs and Denver Cutthroats of the CHL both suspended operations for a year. The Avalanche (same city) and Coyotes (75 miles) being close without the 'risorgimento' happening until 2015 and the expected Christmas cash call to get up to a ECHL standard spooked both teams owners. This may be a rare example of a team actually taking a year off then coming back. Its far too late to combine the leagues now and once everything is laid into place with NHL blessing they may (or may not) return.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coyotes are slightly more than 75 miles from the SunDogs and probably don't have a lot to do with the problems. Prescott Valley is 90 miles from my house and about that far from the Soon To Be Gila River Arena.

The problem is absolutely nobody from the most populous county in the state would be going to Prescott Valley to see CHL-level hockey anyway, and there are only about 212,000 people in Yavapai County. And, then, hockey in Arizona. They've been underfinanced from the jump, haven't drawn particularly well even when they've been good and have been killed on travel expenses.

The Cutthroats were playing in a major metro area in an ancient building and I don't think they had a lot of money to begin with. But their crowds dropped by a bunch the second year despite them being a good team.

The IHL could put teams in NHL cities back in the day, but the CHL would be ill-advised to try that move.

There were 111 minor league hockey teams in 2000. As of today there are 72, or one more than in 1994.

We're seeing a retrenchment that's been more than a decade in the making. Much like NASCAR had its really big heyday, minor league hockey had its and has been slowly dropping back.

12. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    After the Chernobyl-like performance of the 1992-93 Denver Thunder, I can't imagine ANY professional sports franchise trying to make it at the Denver Coliseum. Ever. Again. Check your Geiger counters!

DallasHammster repped this.
  13. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    CHL and ECHL will announce some interlocking preseason games shortly.

14. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #15 the shelts, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Some would say Fresh Money thinks he has more leverage than he does. Others would say the ECHL was trying to dictate everything.

Whatever happened, the CHL has resurrected a lawsuit against the ECHL from last year. The short version is the ECHL tried to poach the Allen Americans and Rapid City Rush.

http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Sear...&MediaID=87a37c0d-4f55-4014-97b4-8ae5c617da24

Discussions on this happening yesterday and today at the DFW Hyatt. The DFW Hyatt confused me as there are two Hyatt hotels in two different terminals. The little train that takes you from Terminal to Terminal is behind security and I finally gave up and walked across.

15. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to one game in March 1993, while visiting my aunt in Longmont.

I don't know how I heard about it, given that they didn't appear to have an advertising budget.

I still have my Denver Thunder t-shirt.

16. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Denver Cutthroats are coming back. Nobody knows which league yet or which building. Appears the Avalanche are going to be using them as a minor league club.

DallasHammster repped this.
  17. DallasHammster

Jun 18, 2007
    DALLAS!!!
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whispers around here say the CHL is done after this year, but I don't have anything concrete.

18. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've heard those same things. The surviving teams will merge into the ECHL with five or six teams and two into the AHL. Nobody knows about Brampton right now.

19. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    The CHL has been dead since Oklahoma City left.

20. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That certainly was a big body blow to the league. It was a lose-lose as well. The owners spent a lot of money on an AHL team instead of the CHL team and provided a better product. The CHL team would get 7000+ a night but the AHL team is averaging 3000ish.

I think everyone agrees that the OKC hockey fan wants to see a heated rivalry with Wichita, Tulsa and Texan teams rather than an AHL product (and prices).

I think we can all see potential parallels for some PASL teams in whether it is worth spending more to join a "better" league. Will this attract more fans.

21. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been hearing Cutthroats to AHL

Lake Erie (current Avs affiliate in Cleveland) may end up with the Columbus affiliation.

22. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes Cutthroats to AHL for the Avalanche. Prescott Valley to the AHL for the Coyotes.

Possibly Boise to Ahl for Vancouver and Ontario to AHL for Anaheim

OKC and Utica to ECHL. Brampton and Elmira may give up the ghost

Fresh Money may negotiate the CHL into oblivion but will land in his feet in NHL (again)

23. lmfoust

lmfoust Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

24. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    #25 Captain Invader, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    I attended an OKC Blazers game back in Jan. 2001 at The Myriad. (Was on a business trip in Fort Worth, drove the 3 hours up to go to the game). $14 bucks (2001 dollars) to sit near center ice in lower bowl. They put on a great show. PA announcer on the ice pre game to lead cheers. Then laser light pre-game show. Plus Phoenix Inferno-like flamethrower.

One of the best game day presentations I have witnessed. Right up with there with the Chicago Wolves. It was a sad day for minor league hockey when the OKC Blazers closed their doors.