Steffi Jones is going back to Germany!

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by DennisM, Jul 17, 2003.

1. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Here's the article. She's leaving after the season. Someone may want to translate it. I got the gist of it from Babelfish:

Das Unternehmen Amerika ist für eine der besten deutschen Fußballerinnen nach zwei Jahren beendet. Die im vorigen Jahr zur zweitbesten Spielerin der Welt gewählte Steffi Jones kehrt aus der US-Profiliga zurück zu ihrem Heimatverein 1. FFC Frankfurt.

Die Nationalspielerin unterzeichnete bei dem hessischen Club einen Vertrag über zwei Jahre. Das gab der deutsche Meister und Pokalsieger bekannt. Für Washington Freedom wird Jones die bis 24. August dauernde Saison in den USA noch zu Ende spielen.

Weiter in der US-Profiliga werden Jones' ehemalige Frankfurter Teamkolleginnen Birgit Prinz, Jennifer Meier und Sandra Minnert spielen. «Ich habe eine schöne und professionelle Zeit in Amerika gehabt», erklärte Jones. Ein erfolgreicher Abschluss mit Washington und die Titeljagd mit dem 1. FFC Frankfurt seien ihre nächsten Ziele. Steffi Jones hatte mit der deutschen Nationalmannschaft die Bronzemedaille bei den Olympischen Spielen 2000 in Sydney sowie im Jahr darauf den Europameisterschafts-Titel im eigenen Land geholt

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I ran it through a translator and I came up with the same thing...she's leaving after this season and heading back to Germany.

Uhhhh can we work out a deal for Shannon Boxx???

3. walshpt17

walshpt17 New Member

Jul 8, 2002
    TheSoccerShow.com
    I talked to Esten Perez (Director of Communications) at the game Saturday about this and he said that it's not 100% true and won't be confirmed until later this fall. She also may be back to do broadcasts for German television for the WWC.

4. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

Is she engaged?

We need to keep this thread alive. We can't let this happen. Should we:

1) Kidnap her and/or threaten her.......

2) Offer to marry her (any wealthy single men out there who can relieve her financial situation?).....

3) All show up, with LOTs of PTHs, at her house weeping and gnashing our teeth and generally looking EXTREMELY disappointed, making her feel SO guilt-ridden she changes her mind......

Remember, she is `only' 30 and could give us a couple more good years, I believe....

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffi told a friend of mine she was definitely going back to Germany, but then was less decisive when asked publicly during the "Meet the Team" Q&A session. So we'll see. (My friend would be very glad to marry her, but he's not particularly wealthy.)

6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I didn't run DennisM's post through a translater....any indication as to why she may go back to Germany? What about Minnert and Meier?

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I'd hate to lose Steffi, she is such a calming force in the midfield. I think that she was deferring the announcement at the meet the team event. In other words, she had made her decision but didn't want to change the focus of the event by making the definitive statement. My opinion.

I talked with Minnert and Meier for awhile and Minnert seems very happy here and liked that she could just concentrate on soccer (rather than having to work 8-5 and then go to soccer practice). I think Minnert wants to come back. Meier is a different story. She said she was happy here, but I think she's frustrated with her playing time. She didn't say that - more my read from her body language. Very nice young lady. She wasn't sure if the Freedom would have her back (I'm not sure her contract).

IF Steffi leaves, I'll miss her. Top quality individual.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Minnert back and assume that's the plan. I think Meier was a stopgap measure and wouldn't expect to see her again. Even if we don't get Bai Jie and Pu Wei back, I'd think we could do better.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    What do folks think of trying to score Marci Miller or Callie Withers of the Beat? Miller is a force in the air despite her size and offers some "bite". Withers is just a big, tough girl. Thomas Stone does not play Miller as much as she deserves to.

10. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Size in the back isn't necessarily our problem - it's speed in the middle. Jen and Carrie have problems with fast forwards.

I haven't seen enough of Meier to have an opinion whether she's a good pickup. There are other international forwards who would be a better pickup, however; could they fit in the same salary slot? I don't believe Meier is very expensive....