Steffen Hofmann

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Mattbro, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    By the way, for anyone following this story, the latest on Steffen Hofmann is that there is no way he can play for Austria (after the ÖFB announced he would possibly become a citizen in time for the Scotland game). He has never played an "A" game for Germany, but he is now 24, and would have had to become an Austrian citizen at 21 to qualify for the Austrian team (when Fifa changed the rule, they gave a 1 year transitional phase, which meant Hofmann could have qualified if he'd become an Austrian citizen before the end of 2004. But he dragged his feet too long, and now he's out of the picture).

It is a real shame, because he wanted to become an Austrian and he's very popular here. He may still get a shot with the German team, but I can't imagine he'd have the same kind of career as with Austria.

2. rapid=religion

rapid=religion New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    believe me, the last word's not spoken in this case!

the fifa takes the final decision and as far as I know they haven't even talked about this topic yet ...

be optimistic, steffen is, too. :)

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    It's a very complex situation. The ÖFB is afraid to officially submit an application for him to play for Austria, because in so doing he might forfeit his right to play for Germany. So first they have to make an inquiry with Fifa as to whether they are allowed to submit an application for him.

All the media sources seem to think this is a dead issue, but I hope you are right my friend. I think it would be awesome if he could play for Austria, partly because I think it would strengthen his ties to Rapid (i.e. if he is not allowed to play for Austria and has to try and impress the German coaching staff, he will end up transferring to the German Bundesliga sooner or later).

4. rapid=religion

rapid=religion New Member

Jul 6, 2005
    for the scotland-game it is way too late and for the wc-qualifiers as well but as you said, it's all very complex indeed so perhaps the oefb finds another little paragraph or something that turns things around again ...

let's wait and see ... and hope!