Steffen all games PBP thread

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Casper, Dec 9, 2020.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we start a new thread for the new season?

Anyway, Steffen and Middlesborough go down 3-2 vs QPR. Not a great stat line for Zack. QPR scored all 3 in the first 45.

2. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    New threads for ALL the PBP threads please. No need to have last season's present.

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TheFalseNine
    @bungadiri
    @dark knight

What say you?

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure why we new threads? I don’t feel strongly but I do think we should have combined threads for multiple yanks - Fulham Leeds.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say keep the same thread unless it's no longer feasible to do so. There was some discussion about this at the beginning and the work to create new ones was top much. We might consider a post limit, at which time we renew them.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Hoppe already on the Middlesbrough bench, so we’ll need to decide about a combined thread.

7. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this game on ESPN plus I'm having trouble finding it. I see games for Wednesday but nothing for today?

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen back in goal vs Rotherham. 0-0 16’

Winoman repped this.
  9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Steffen a spectator through 30 minutes.

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Steffen gets fingertips to a shot that was probably going well wide. Out for a corner.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffen with a high ball that seems like he should have claimed but at least punched it clear

wixson7 repped this.
  12. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    ^^^
    …after which the announcer implies Boro disappointed with ZS.

13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Modest booing of Boro at the half. At least it's not directed toward Steffen.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you would like to see your Man City keeper holding onto that ball as he wasn’t really challenged. He might be a little gun shy.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    This game could use some Hoppe. But he's not in the squad.

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Steffen comes 45 yards off his line, reading the situation well to prevent a bigger problem. Not the cleanest kick, but it works.

superdave and wixson7 repped this.
  17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Extra time corner kick, ball bounces right to Jones in the Box - and he backpasses 15 yards under no pressure. Scorer's mentality.

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Steffen posts an infinite save percentage for the match, with zero shots on goal by Rotherham, whom I can barely believe are in the top half of the table. Scoreless draw being booed by the home fans.

19. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Gaffer is in trouble me thinks.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made a good save coming out of his net to cut the angle, but was subsequently beat from an angle on the break. Not a bad goal to allow, but savable. Got a mitt on it. Needed a stronger hand or maybe to not give up as much of the near post.

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Not a howler, but one that can be saved. He is not helping his case.

22. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
  23. Scissorkick Collins

Dec 30, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turned the match at about the 70th minute and in about 5 minutes Steffen looks shaky on two plays.

1) On a corner Zach doesn’t appear to make much effort on service into the goal mouth which somehow doesn’t go in. The announcer says something like “and the goalkeeper is nowhere to be seen.”

The replay shows that the Coventry player directly in front of Steffen has ahold of Zach’s arm and a belated whistle properly calls the foul. However, Steffen seems to count on the foul call rather than fight to get to the ball (I believe this happened a few weeks back as well and was pointed out).

2. 5 minutes later, Zach rushes 10-15 yards outside the box, into traffic to clear a ball as he slides in front of two players (an attacker and a defender). Manages to only “clear” the ball 10 yards or so directly to a Coventry player who puts the shot on the open goal about 10 feet wide.

Zach seems extremely passive on crosses when he’s on his line and overly aggressive going for balls outside the box. He’s going to get punished badly again and again if he can’t adjust his instincts.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Covil-less Hull managed to tie it 1-1 only to concede again in an own-goal. Steffen had one save in the first half, nothing else. Typical Championship game otherwise.

Winoman repped this.
  25. usfootball20

usfootball20 Member+

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brighton play through Boro and get 1x1 with Steffen. He comes out well and saves, but rebound stays in the middle and Brighton finish it. Would have been asking a lot for him to save everything there.